Another person chiming in with ‘plasma for life’ comment.
It’s a bit buggy — especially if you’re using a laptop with external monitor, since kwin doesn’t like when total number of monitors changes while running. But then the plus side of things just blows everything else out of the water:
It has the most sensible workflow. Gnome3 is dumb.
No seriously I had to use Gnome 3 (because I always have antergos live USB on me. Antergos live uses gnome) a few times to unscrew a bad mess (thanks nvidia drivers and lightdm with its dumb default autorestart policy!). I went from 0 to triggered in 60 seconds flat. Connecting to a wireless network under Gnome 3 takes three times more clicks than it should. Windows 8’s Metro UI looks like the best and most intuitive UI ever made when compared to Gnome 3.
KDE software and QT stuff > “Gnome” software and GTK stuff.
- In file maager department, Dolphin > anything else.
- Okular has practically zero contenders.
- Kate is pretty decent for coding.
- When I got absolutely pissed at Amarok’s quirks, I tried to find a decent music player because that’s one thing that are a dime a dozen on linux. I always came back to amarok. Audacious and Clementine get honorable mentions, but Clementine doesn’t have fully rebindable keys IIRC. I’m not entirely sure why I don’t like audacious anymore. Oh wait, actually I remembered — no decent way to search playlist.
- I thought VLC was the best video player. Then I started playing my movies off a network share. VLC does a piss-poor job at that. SMPlayer, on the other hand … It’s also in Qt.
- Transmission has Qt version.
- GTK file dialog is honestly inferior to kdialog. Every other option for file dialogs that’s not kdialog tries their hardest to make the act of choosing a file or a folder as painful as possible.
- Kmix > anything else
- Krunner is a cute little useful af thing.
KDE has QtCurve. Non-Qt DEs seem to have have no equivalent. QtCurve also allows for transparent window backgrounds (which GTK doesn’t seem to), and dark themes work really well when you have window background transparency.
Qt > GTK. When I want to change system colors in KDE, there’s a section in settings for that. Trying to change colors for GTK themes was … frustrating, to keep it mild/SFW).
KDE offers plenty of options for tweaking the interface right out of the box.
I didn’t have issues with smplayer, but turns out smplayer doesn’t play nice when playing stuff on NFS shares.
VLC also stopped crashing X the next day, and the next, and it still works today. Given the updates happen at least once a day, sometimes more and given that I update as soon as I get notified there’s an update, there’s two things that happened:
- There was some random update that messed something up and the next update unmessed it
- A phase-of-the-moon bug