Not solved, but progress!
I noticed that under lspci -k the wired ethernet connection showed the kernel module as being tg3, so I tried applying the modprobe instructions to the kernel modules listed under the wireless adapter:
sudo modprobe -r bcma sudo modprobe -r wl sudo modprobe -r broadcom sudo modprobe bcma modprobe: ERROR : could not insert 'bcma': Input/output error sudo modprobe wl sudo modprobe broadcom
Now when I enter ip link I see
ip link 7: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether (unit's MAC address) ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
iwconfig bash: /usr/bin/iwconfig: Input/output error
In System Settings it’s at least giving me the option to turn WiFi off and on even though it’s described as, “unavailable” and no networks show up.
From these outputs I’m guessing that the problem is related to this ‘bcma’ kernel module. I’ll keep combing through the docs, but if you have any ideas please send them my way!
I’m trying to install Antergos on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro and the live-boot USB is not detecting my wirelesscard. This wouldn’t be a problem except that I do not currently have wired network access. I tried to tether to my iPhone 7 using bluetooth and USB but Bluetooth does not want to enable, and USB isn’t detecting at all.
Here’s what I’ve got so far:
Arch Wiki said to use lspci -k to find the adapter, so it gives me
[[email protected] ~]$ lspci -k 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n (rev02) Subsystem: Apple Inc. AirPort Extreme Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge Kernel modules: bcma, wl
So it seems that it has kernel drivers but under System Settings >> Wi-Fi it is saying, “No Wi-Fi Adapter Found”
As per this post I’ve tried
sudo modprobe -r tg3 sudo modprobe broadcom sudo modprobe tg3
Unfortunately this produced no change.
Another forum post lead to to using ip link, which shows shows loopback and:
4: enp2s0f0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisk mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether a8:20:66:2b:3e:09 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
sudo ip link set enp2s0f0 up
But that produced no change. I suspect that’s my wired network adapter.
I’m still very much a Linux noob and totally out of ideas at this point, beyond waiting until I can access a wired connection. I’d still like to solve this just for my own satisfaction!
Thanks for the help!