• Best Linux Desktop: Top 10 Candidates

[url:1e7mkfuj]http://www.datamation.com/open-source/best-linux-desktop-top-10-candidates-3.html[/url:1e7mkfuj]

Antergos lands in the top 10

• I saw that!! way to go team antergos!!!

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• The person who wrote that list did NOT know what he was talking about! A very biased person. And for an experienced user Sabayon is better than Gentoo? WHAT? Nah the only thing that was right was Solydx and Antergos IMHO. I have not tried so I can’t speak of PClinux.

I agree that Mint is very good for newcomers in the wonderful linux world. But Ubuntu? No way! My mother which is in her mid-60’s didn’t understand a thing in Ubuntu. (yeah she’s not the brightest comp user), but I installed manjarobox for her and now she insists on keeping it - she just loves it

Again - I think the person who wrote it is biased

• @“pjhalsli”:28aax7qi said:

The person who wrote that list did NOT know what he was talking about! A very biased person.[/quote:28aax7qi]
    And, of course, your opinion of Matt is not biased, aye?

Sorry, but when any person gives his or her opinion about what they feel are the top 10 in any kind of category, that list is always going to be subjective as the day is long.

I certainly will not argue that Debian Stable is like a rock, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend Debian to a new Linux user. Let’s face it, the Debian support forums are shark-infested. For that reason alone, Debian would be one of the last distributions I would consider to be newbie-friendly.

See how subjective things can be, when we base our comments on our own personal observations?

For the record, and without trying to suggest he needs anyone to speak on his behalf, I feel Matt has enough Linux experience to be able to speak on the topic in an intelligent manner. And how can we say he desn’t know what he is talking about in one breath, then turn around and say he hit the mark by mentioning Antergos in his list?

Actually, Matt has always spoken highly of Antergos, since back when he and Chris took on their Arch Challenge. I believe he also has some experience running Manjaro, as well.

• i think the ubuntu family or linux mint are both good for new users.

• Well of course he speaks highly of Antergos. He himself uses Antergos and SolydX. Take those two out of his top ten and there’s only *buntu left. IMHO Ubuntu is not very noob friendly. People think so, heck people think Linux IS Ubuntu. I know a lot of people who tried it and they sadly went back to Win because all the bugs and bloat inn *buntu. When I’m talking about noob friendly I think of stability first - if it’s buggy people will leave - because I think it’s more important than how you use it. If it’s stable enough they will figure the rest out. They didn’t leave Win 'cause it looks bad. They’re tired of all the s**t MS is throws at them so give them a rock solid distro with a “pretty” DE and they will stay with Linux. Every DE can beused on every distro so what’s at the core of the distro is the most important. Again IMHO.

btw how can I be biased? I don’t know who he is. This is the first time I’ve ever read something he wrote.(I think so at least)
    PEACE guys

• it depends which buntu you are talking about also. there are several different DE you can use. also buntu’s setup a lot of stuff out of the box for you like drivers and printers.

ill put it this way i would be more likely to put a linux mint/buntu on someones computer who doesnt know about linux that much before arch or debian just for the ease of updating alone.

• Before Arch? Yes of course
    For a noob I would put every other distro before I gave the person Arch.

Okay… I think 8 out of 10 who comes to Linux does it after someone recommended it to them. Very often newbies gets help from a friend to install a distro the first time. If I was to install for someone now I would almost certain opt for Deb stable. If the person was willing to put in the time maybe maybe Manjaro (stable) but I would go for Mint after Debian.

The only *buntu I would install to someone had to be… ummmmmm… ummmmm… well… okay if I have to answer I’d say xubuntu. A person new to Linux can’t have all the error notifications that you get in Ubuntu. The average Joe will think something is broken, and he probably can’t turn it off either. And not everyone who uses Linux are in the forums. I’ve used Linux off and on since 2000/01 but turned to a forum only a year ago. (my first problem in manjarobox) Therefore I would opt for stability over everything else.

Arch and Archbased - I guess I wouldn’t recommend it at all. They have to find it for themselves if they are interested

• Being a Ubuntu user myself for many years I disagree that it is not newby-friendly, or buggy and unstable. I, personally, never had any serious problem with it. We have to admit that Ubuntu was the major factor for the boom of the use of GNU/Linux among new users. It offers the simplicity to install and run, the many versions and forks, LTS support, strong community. No wonder why it is considered the most popular distro in the linux world…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• deb is solid but i would imagine a newbie might want to play games and its not very fun installing the graphics driver in debian.

for friends of mine i always suggest linux mint to them. i think they make everything very easy to install. nice update manager with it.

i think the more gui apps you have to help new users the better. you try to get a newbie in to a terminal and most dont want any part of that

i think anything ubuntu based is a good start for a new linux user.

• @“pjhalsli”:3gvmns1o said:

btw how can I be biased? I don’t know who he is.[/quote:3gvmns1o]
    Which solidifies the point I was trying to make. Which wasn’t intended as a slam against you, BTW, I was merely pointing out that your personal opinions are no more objective than those of any other person. In my personal opinion, I do not care for KDE, but I can only offer that as my own opinion. Whilst you might think KDE is the greatest DE around. But does that difference in personal opinion mean that one of us does NOT know what we are talking about?

I’ve been moving Windows refugees onto Linux Mint for the last 3 or 4 years, simply because I think it is a distribution that is easier for new Linux adoptees. As i watch Antergos maturing, I think it is becoming a good solution for the more tech-savvy and new Linux users. Maybe that cuts against the grain with you, but that certainly doesn’t mean neither of us know what we’re on about. Perhaps you are experiencing great luck with moving new users onto Debian, whereas I feel that is akin to rowing a non-swimmer to the middle of a lake and tossing them in, with the admonition to sink or swim. Have you ever wondered why that ice cream shop offers all 31 flavors? Because we all have differing tastes and opinions. It has naught to do with any one of us not knowing up from down.

Without knowing who Matt is, you offered a critique of him, based not on proof and facts, rather a critique based upon your own subjective, and therefore, biased opinion.

Now do you see what I was trying to illustrate?

And, if you are interested, you can pick up on more of Matt’s opinions by watching or listening in on the Linux Action Show, which is available at Jupiter Broadcasting.

• @"George said:

We have to admit that Ubuntu was the major factor for the boom of the use of GNU/Linux among new users. It offers the simplicity to install and run, the many versions and forks, LTS support, strong community. No wonder why it is considered the most popular distro in the linux world…[/quote:yzgfh3k8]
    Hear, hear.

Love it or hate it, Ubuntu has really opened up the door to Linux for thousands and thousands of users. I started with a WUBI install, back in early 2007, and if it hadn’t been for that experience piquiing my interest, I really don’t know if I would have ever made the full-time jump to Linux.

A decent installer, large repositories, and a huge user-base makes Ubuntu a natural for a new user. Ninety-nine times of of one hundred, any question you have about Ubuntu has already been answered on their support forums - dozens of times. Heck, do a search for any kind of Linux problem and you are almost guaranteed to see a lot Ubuntu-oriented solutions in the SERPs.

I like a lot of things about Debian, and without question, stability ranks at the top of that list. I ran Debian for quite a while, and in its first incarnation, I really liked Linux Mint Debian Edition. But I like running cutting-edge software releases, not something that is growing a beard. Yes, I am willing to run a few stability risks, in order to have the latest versions of the packages I use. And I detest the elitist attitude that is so prevalent on the Debian support forums. If I needed to be treated in that manner, I would consider re-marrying.

And, in my not-so-humble opinion, the community here is what is helping to build up the Antergos user-base. People are friendly and willing to help new users. The Antergos devs have no problem jumping in to lend a hand. I truly think Arch is a slick distribution, but add in a streamlined installer, some polish and elegance, along with a friendly support community, and I really see no way Antergos can ever fail. All of those elements combine to make up the secret sauce that is leading to success for Antergos.

Now, if I can just convince lots.0.logs to adopt me… (Where is an angelic smiley, when I need one???)

Posts 13Views 1686