• Installing Antergos with Kali

Hi guys and gals, I didn’t know if this thread is better stored in “Newbie Corner” or here so here goes.
    I am trying to dual boot 2 linux distros (Kali and Antergos) and I have tried as much as I can, looked up a quite a few topics all around linux communities with no luck. I have a HP ProBook 6460b laptop with a 320 GB HDD and a 1 TB HDD and what I wanted to do is to have Kali and Antergos share the 320 GB disk (/, /boot/efi, /usr, /var etc) and have the 1 TB disk as the /home partition for both distros.
    I think I have just made my mind about linux after 10 yrs or so - I am committed to make a transition from Windows (witch I often fall back to)… and as you guys see, I am also into pen testing. Some would say “You’re in the deep-pool now”

This is my first linux forum, first post here and not my last. I have so many questions so let’s get started.

I will now post output of fdisk command I think is relevant to my case.

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 298,1 GiB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x482858cd

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *         2048 608497663 608495616 290,2G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2       608499710 625141759  16642050     8G  5 Extended
    /dev/sda5       608499712 625141759  16642048     8G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 698,7 GiB, 750156374016 bytes, 1465149168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 24B28249-06D7-469D-A22D-A38248329CBD

Device     Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
    /dev/sdb1   2048 1455386623 1455384576  694G Linux filesystem
  • @atlithor said in Installing Antergos with Kali:

(/, /boot/efi, /usr, /var etc) and have the 1 TB disk as the /home partition for both distros.

Not clear what you want to do here ;)

sharing home fully between different OS is not a good idea because of configs differ with different versions of software… keys are different for the users under the different OS… Better to use a DATA partition with where you can also bind documents music videos to different /homes.

I do not get why you share the (/, /boot/efi, /usr, /var etc) in yourpost… but sharing this ones between OS is also not possible, each OS needs its own root partition!

The ones you can share is swap and Data

• @atlithor

I totally agree with @joekamprad.

You could use /dev/sdb1 as /data on both operating systems. In /etc/fstab write

/dev/sdb1 /data ext4 defaults   # could use LABEL=... instead of /dev/sdb1

on both systems, and create the directory in both systems:

sudo mkdir /data
    sudo chown user:user /data  # makes you the owner; change "user" to your user name!
    sudo chmod go-rwx /data     # only you have permissons to use /data

In /data you could move $HOME directories like Documents, Music, Downloads, etc. as you wish. Then in both systems make symlinks to /data/Documents etc. in the $HOME folders.

So the process could look something like this for each $HOME folder:

cd                     # go $HOME
    mv Documents /data/    # move your documents to /data
    ln -s /data/Documents  # make a symbolic link to the documents

Note that on you other system you may already have different stuff, so be careful not to lose anything.

And I’d recommend using only one partition per operating system. So put /var, /usr, /home, etc. just into the folders of the root “/” partition of each system.

The swap partition can (and of course the /data partition should) be shared, just as Joe explained.

• i just bind them with fstab:

UUID="put uuid of the data partition here"  /mnt/data ext4 defaults,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

/mnt/data/pictures	/home/"put your username"/pictures	auto	bind	0 0
    /mnt/data/documents	/home/"put your username"/documents  auto    bind    0 0
    /mnt/data/videos	/home/"put your username"/videos  auto    bind    0 0
    /mnt/data/music         /home/"put your username"/music  auto    bind    0 0

same you can do under kali liux and then you share all the files only between OS and also after reinstall they are save on the data partition. (backups needed extra also outside the HD)

• Thanks guys, I get it now.

Sorry for not being clear about my goals here.

• Solved
installing114 kali2 Posts 5Views 293
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.