• New to Linux and Antergos. Have many questions

I just installed Antergos with Deepin with the default settings in the cnchi installer.

My questions:

1. How to update both antergos and deepin? Does deepin automatically gets updated with antergos?
    2. How to upgrade? Whats’s the difference between update and upgrade?
    3. How to install an application (lets say VS Code)? When and when not to use pacman?
    4. How to choose best mirrors?
    5. How to make partitions? I have fresh install without any partitions.
    6. Any important info for a newbie with antergos or linux in general?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Well updating is quite easy. Deepin is just the Desktop Environment you choose. You can update your system via the Command Line with

sudo pacman -Syu

Or you use the graphical way via Pamac. Thats installed automatically.
    I guess you could say there is no difference between update and upgrade while using Antergos, since it is a rolling release Distro based on Arch Linux. And so it is quite different from Ubuntu where you actually would make a difference between them.

To install an application you could use either Pacman via the commandline:
    sudo pacman -S {packagename}
    Or searching via Pamac and install it from there. A bit of a difference would be if i package isn’t in the official Repositories, but is available in the AUR (The Arch User Repository).
    With pacman I never really felt the need to care for specific mirrors. Pacman will do that mostly itself.

• @reviver

1. Update with any of these terminal commands
    sudo pacman -Syu    # normal update
    sudo pacman -Syyu   # same as above + update repo info
    sudo pacman -Syyuu  # same as above + allow also downgrades

There are also GUI updaters like pamac and octopi, which may be easier to use.

1. See answer 1., options -Syu and -Syyu. Antergos does not really have the same distinction as e.g. Ubuntu about update and upgrade, it is a rolling release, i.e. always everything up to date.

2. There are official packages, preferably use pacman or pamac for them. And there are user support packages (AUR) that can be used with e.g. pamac or aurman (actually there are several programs fot that). Note that AUR packages are not supported by the Antergos team (so I suggest use them only if you really need them and no official package is available).

3. Mirrors are ordered in files /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist (Antergos stuff) and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist (Arch stuff).
      You can order them manually (closest first), or use a program, e.g. reflector.

4. Depends on what you want to achieve. Simplest (and recommended for newcomers I’d suggest) is only one partition for Antergos. I don’t recommend using separate partitions for /home or /boot, unless you have a real reason to do so. Partitions can be created with e.g. gparted.

5. It is highly recommended to look at Antergos and Arch wikis/forums since there are sometimes very useful info e.g. about issues with new updates.
      And feel free to ask any questions. We feel that there are no dumb questions; we all have been beginners.

And: Antergos (and Arch) are a great learning experience! :)

• @Severus @manuel Thanks a lot, both of you. This really helped. I’ve been stressing over how to do stuff in linux coming from a windows environment and all.

• and all nessesarry partitions were already created by Antergos for you ;)

Creating new ones on may an external HD or new internal drive can be done with gparted (GUI) or over terminal.

deepin61 newbie21 mirrors13 Posts 6Views 599
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.