• Cannot launch any GUI application

Hello,

I get
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused Cannot parse arguments: Cannot open display:, I have also got: No protocol specified Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused Cannot parse arguments: Cannot open display: at any GUI app I try and launch. It starts each time I (temporarily) mount my old home partition to /home. I actually just reinstalled Antergos right after this same issue occurred.

Here goes my journalctl today’s log: https://pastebin.com/UY125KSd.

I have been told to rename/temporarily delete every .directories pertaining to gnome shell. I must not have been exhaustive while trying because it has not worked.

I believe this issue’s root cause is the installation of the AUR modelio package on my old Antergos, which I aborted after 2 hours of installation.

Thank you in advance.

• @ching said in Cannot launch any GUI application:

No protocol specified Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused Cannot parse arguments: Cannot open display

hat say:

pgrep -a X

• @joekamprad it outputs: 460 /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

modelio

I do not think aborting this build is the cause…

But may the rightsstructure copy paste into new install is the cause… i would not restore all configs from old /home as there are some of them holding keys and credintials, and if you replace them with older files you will get them not working… (reminds you on something?)

• what you can try is: create a new user and copy the conigs you need (for programs like email or browser) one by one, or make yourself knowledged about the files better not to overwrite.

• @joekamprad Well I have tried, among many others things… still without success though. 😓

• That’s weird, but you mount your old partition on mount point /home if I understand your logs, so it creates confusion, for example after that you would be using the .Xauthority from the old partition, which may cause the problem.
    Mount your old home partition on any other mountpoint but not /home.

• mai 19 11:04:48 csan sudo[1925]:     csan : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/csan ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/mount /dev/sda3 /home/
    mai 19 11:04:48 csan sudo[1925]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    mai 19 11:04:48 csan kernel: EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    mai 19 11:04:48 csan sudo[1925]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

what exactly was the command here?

• @papa33 I’ve mounted the old partition into a new folder I just created inside /home, it works as one would expect, i.e. the partition’s content is accessible from within this folder.
    I also tried copying my .Xauthority and .ICEauthority files, then mounting my old partition, then replacing its .Xauthority/.ICEauthority files by those I just copied. Still same error message though.

@joekamprad sudo mount /dev/sda3 /home

• @ching needs more information on what exactly you are try to do, and already do to get there… and the when it happens is also not clear to me…

I actually just reinstalled Antergos right after this same issue occurred

It’s so weird, even reinstalling gives you the same error?
    Did you install the minimum iso and installed xorg stuff later on?

• @ching
    What happens if you just reinstall Antergos, and NOT mount that external /home partition, but let installer create a new /home folder into root partition?

You can then create symbolic links from the new $HOME folder to your old /home partition in order to use your data.

• @ching Why not just doing something like

sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/oldhome

?

• @papa33 you are right here as what user is doing before was sudo mount /dev/sda3 /home what will remove/hide the home of the user created on new installation, and will cause a problem on permissions and execution…

• He could do:

sudo umount /home
    sudo mkdir /home/$LOGNAME  # $LOGNAME should be your current username
    sudo chown $LOGNAME:$LOGNAME /home/$LOGNAME
    sudo mkdir /home_ext
    sudo mount /dev/sda3 /home_ext
    cd /home/$LOGNAME
    ln -s /home_ext

and edit /etc/fstab to have that mount line to external home:

/dev/sda3 /home_ext ext4 defaults  # assuming ext4 filesystem in sda3, change if needed

• This post is deleted!
  • @joekamprad my objective: to mount my old home partition while being able to normally use my distro. Because it has all my config & dotfiles & stuff, all my disk space too.

@fernandomaroto : yep, right after mounting. I picked the Antergos Live ISO rather than the minimum one.

@manuel I don’t feel like it is a viable long term solution or is it? I want to be able to frequently change my distro while keeping my home. Besides, there are tons of empty space allocated in this old /home partition.

@papa33 /dev/sda3 it is already mounted on /path/to/oldhome

@joekamprad my objective: to mount my old home partition while being able to normally use my distro. Because it has all my config & dotfiles & stuff, all my disk space too.

In order to do this (I often do this…) you should choose mountpoint /home for /dev/sda3 during install, that’s all.
    Now I guess that you should modify your fstab. You can maybe use gnome-disks in order to do this.

mount my old home partition while being able to normally use my distro

Do you want to share the same /home partition between different distros?

• @papa33 you’re actually right 😚 I can’t believe it but I actually think I forgot to assign a mountpoint to my partition in the Cnchi installer while reinstalling the first time. Now it works like a charm.

Thanks @all for your help, I wonder if there was another solution though. 😯

application28 gui21 launch5 Posts 20Views 730
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.