• xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers

@Firespray
    Sorry just read my post and forgot to mention that I’m also waiting, as long as this temporarily solution works.

• @Bryanpwo
    Thanks, good to know.

Downgrading xorg-server, xorg-common, xf86-video-vesa (and xf86-video-fbdev due to dependency issues) to 1.19.6+13 seems to have solved the problem for the moment.

For reference, it’s an old GT220 card that refuses to give me an excuse to replace it.

• i was wondering about the fact that i need to uninstall: xf86-video-fbdev and xf86-video-vesa as they seem conflicting with xorg-server > 1.20

• @joekamprad
    Did you uninstall those or downgraded them?
    I downgraded them to 0.4.4+12 instead of the 13 version.

• i just uninstall them… and they are not depending on something needed if you are running on nvidia-drivers

• Thanks for the info, I assumed they were vital parts within Xorg.

• xorg-server-* 1.20.0-4 on Arch testing at the moment. There is hope for us :D

• X.org vesa video driver are all optional as far as i know…
    Both packages (xf86-video-fbdev and xf86-video-vesa ) are not installed here on my desk too…

• @piotr but as long as the driver packages are not builded against the new xorg-server …

• …what i will do now for the 340xx driver package ;)

• this is not solving the issue… sadly… also yesterdays xorg-server package (+xwayland and +common) from testing will not bring X up here… (340xx)

• So, the wait is for mr. Heftig to come up with a proper nvidia340xx update. This will most likely be when the next Linux kernel update will be released. He never missed that deadline…

• yes seems legit ;)

• Saw a new 340xx driver in the updates today…

still didn’t work. Ah, well… I know it will eventually.

• @grenouille why so negative ;) Also at PAPA Arch users get very angry about the situation:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=237248

May put legacy drivers in a docker-container? 📦

BUG report onto 340xx:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=58660

• An the driver itself say what is the problem inside logs:

================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
    This server has a video driver ABI version of 24.0 that this
    driver does not officially support. Please check
    http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
    server with a supported driver ABI.
    =================================================================

• @joekamprad Sorry if I seemed negative. I’m not really, just somewhat frustrated as I’d just changed this particular machine to Antergos from Ubuntu Mate a couple of weeks ago. Overall, it’s a great improvement and I’m quite happy with it. I just have to listen to the family gripe as it’s plugged into the TV for watching movies, archived TV episodes and so on.

I can’t imagine ever being like the users in the thread you linked. Awfully rude, IMHO, especially for something they get for free. No excuse, really – for any reason.

Thanks for the link to the bug report. I’ll try to add to it after I get some sleep – it’s nearly 1am here.

• Today the linux kernel has an update and there’s no nvidia 340xx update with it. For people who are on that driver, you can do the kernel update, the driver works under the new kernel. It doesn’t solve the xorg-server nvidia problem, but unlike you would expect, you don’t have to hold back that update as well.

• @bryanpwo said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

Today the linux kernel has an update and there’s no nvidia 340xx update with it.

396 came with the new kernel, but didn’t fix the issue. Well, I didn’t expect it would. :)

• What i so not understand is that the 340 driver version is not compatible with latest xorg-server… so what can be done to make it compatible? it is closed source… so it will need to do a change to xorg-server ?

nvidia166 issues100 causes6 xorg-server3 Posts 177Views 10907
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.