• xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers

_ any hope of a 340.xxx release with xorg 1.20 support?

_ Yes, we’ll get one out eventually. I just can’t promise a particular timeframe. One thing to note is that driver support for the multi-vendor dispatch interface in the new server wasn’t quite ready, so these drivers still require replacing the server’s libglx.so with ours. Support for loading our glx extension into the server’s new glvnd interface is being worked on and should show up in a future release, but it’s unlikely that we’ll backport it to the legacy branches.
    Aaron Plattner (NVIDIA Linux Graphics)

• I don’t how to interpretate that, on the one hand he suggests there will be an update, on the otherhand he says it’s unlikely it will support the legacy branches. So, we’re assigned to use nouveau or the linux drivers, with older cards?
    I don’t want to be the downer over here, but that answer could be given by a politician; a lot of words, but no content.

• Hi!
    I just updated my system and experienced a weird behaviour too: transparency from xcompmgr and compton are at 100%, after logout and relogin it gets the way i configured. I’m using AMD APU here, not nvidia.

So i tried to downgrade xorg-server to version 1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2.
    Pacman asked to remove xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-fbdev xf86-video-ati. I accepted, after that my system didn’t get the login manager.

Booted with Portergos iso and reinstalled the packages, now i have the previous bug with 100% transparency, needing to logout and login again to make the desktop work fine.

These are all “X” packages upgraded:

xf86-video-ati
    xf86-video-fbdev
    xf86-video-vesa
    xorg-server-common
    xorg-server
    xorg-server-xvfb

And these are all packages upgraded
    https://pastebin.com/RZMFytcC

Should i downgrade all “X” packages to go back to a previous state?

• Maybe your problem is related to this It seems to be affecting xfce, although I haven’t encountered it (with portergos and AMD graphics)

• @bryanpwo said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

Maybe your problem is related to this It seems to be affecting xfce, although I haven’t encountered it (with portergos and AMD graphics)

Thanks for answering, maybe it is, i have some xfce4 stuff like the panel loaded in my i3-wm.

Like a month ago i changed from comptom to xcompmgr because it wasn’t working with the version 1.19 from xorg.

Anyway i just downgraded all the packages from the previous post and the bug is gone. I’ll add them to pacman ignore list and hope to leave it as it is now.

That also reminds me that i need to make a backup of my system hehehe.

in case someone is interested i used the command:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/{xf86-video-ati-1:18.0.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz,xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.4+12+ge0bce0d-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz,xf86-video-vesa-2.4.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz,xorg-server-common-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz,xorg-server-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz,xorg-server-xvfb-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz}

• 5 days without a real solution…
    May this is a anti xorg conspiracy from the Wayland Command?
    😨

• @joekamprad said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

5 days without a real solution…
    May this is a anti xorg conspiracy from the Wayland Command?
    😨

Maybe :p , but there is no alternative for xorg, wayland is made for gnome only, or am i wrong?

• @fernandomaroto said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

Maybe , but there is no alternative for xorg, wayland is made for gnome only, or am i wrong?

With xorg-* 1.20 use of the Nvidia discrete card freezes my laptop, regardless of whether I am in a X or a wayland session…

• IMHO Wayland is a replacement for Xorg itself…
    https://wayland.freedesktop.org

• @piotr said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

@fernandomaroto said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

Maybe , but there is no alternative for xorg, wayland is made for gnome only, or am i wrong?

With xorg-* 1.20 use of the Nvidia discrete card freezes my laptop, regardless of whether I am in a X or a wayland session…

You can display your pacman log in a terminal
    cat /var/log/pacman.log

If you know the exact day (my case is 2018-05-23) where you upgraded you can create a file with all upgraded files

cat /var/log/pacman.log |grep 2018-05-23 |grep upgrade |awk '{ print $5 }' >all_upgraded_files.txt

You can now the file with your favorite text editor and search for xorg
    then you’ll find xorg packages and also xf86 in case you wish/need to downgrade them.

• @fernandomaroto said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

you’ll find xorg packages and also xf86 in case you wish/need to downgrade them.

As said in the post #15, downgrading xf86-video-intel xf86-video-vesa xorg-server xorg-server-common xorg-server-xwayland makes nvidia work again for me.

• @joekamprad could be right, KDE is also focusing more on Wayland, Kwin is even on freeze on xorg development and XFCE has Wayland in the pipeline. Although the latter could take a while, since XFCE development is slow.

• @joekamprad said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

IMHO Wayland is a replacement for Xorg itself…
    https://wayland.freedesktop.org

but is it fully implemented yet? i thought that Wayland was still running on top of X.

• @quimkaos said in xorg-server update causes issues with nvidia propritary drivers:

running on top of X.

Not as i know… it is more that most applications are not running on wayland and so they running on X (Xwayland) and not directly on wayland ;)

• IMHO Wayland is a replacement for Xorg itself…

I think Wayland is not just a replacement of Xorg. Wayland is a set of protocol definitions that guide how to implement various components. So Wayland is not a single implementation, but a framework for several (possibly competing) implementations that eventually should replace Xorg.

Note that I’m no expert on Wayland nor Xorg, so I may be wrong.

• And on the status of Wayland as a replacement for xorg:
    Wayland is not fully integrated and mostly will not work at Antergos.
    Special on Nvidia drivers… They brew there own way to get this done, EGL something, and so it is not following the common way… What makes it more unstable and harder to get working…

• So IMHO it seems that Wayland is still not quite ready enough for the main stream…

• That Wayland isn’t ready for mainstream use right at this moment is a solid fact. But we can’t, anymore, rule Wayland out to be the serious candidate as a successor for xorg rather we like it or not. Fedora already kicked off with using it as the default display server and Ubuntu has serious plans to implement it in the near future also, so maybe the Nvidia devs are waking up now. Leaving us on xorg a bit in shambles at the moment.

To be clear, this rant of mine is my personal view, especially about the Nvidia part, it’s just my gutt feeling guess😉

nvidia165 issues100 causes6 xorg-server3 Posts 177Views 10906
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.