• Updating to xorg-server-1.20 breaks xfce login

Since Arch official forums do not allow post referring to Antergos I am posting this here

I came across this, did a pacman -U xorg-server-1.19… said yes to remove all conflicts and rebooted

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=237162

I hope the xfce/xserver team fixes this soon as I will avoid updaing my other 2 machines until this is resolved

• @mailme-gx
    I have xorg-server 1.20.0-2 and it doesn’t have that issue.

• And I’m using Xfce.

• @manuel said in Updating to xorg-server-1.20 breaks xfce login:

I have xorg-server 1.20.0-2 and it doesn’t have that issue.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics, especially hybrid with Intel? Last night nvidia stopped working for me.

• @piotr
    No, I have only Intel graphics on this machine. And another hybrid graphics machine I use only the Intel card since that particular old Nvidia card is not supported at all.

• If you have xf86-video-nouveau installed, does it help to remove that?

• @manuel I don’t. I just use nvidia proprietary driver and Bumblebee. Use of primusrun does nothing, and optirun freezes the machine.

Furthermore: previously disabling Bumblebee used to make my machine start with Nvidia, but since the yesterday evening it only uses Intel.

• [offtopic]
    *nvidia propritary drivers are a bit messed up at the moment…

the new legacy driver 390xx is not working with latest xorg-server as the version it is build on is not the latest known to work with latest xorg-server … nvidia-lts is not updated since latest linux-lts update…
    latest nvidia also excluded some chipsets from supported list so it will fail on this ones…*
    [/offtopic]

• @manuel Although this laptop does have an nvidia optimus I did not nvidia drivers or bumblebee, neither is nouveau present so looks like just intel. (I have had issues with bumblebee in the past so since running antegros I have no nvidia drivers on this machine)

If anyone is interested here is a snipit from /var/log/pacman.log

[2018-05-18 08:30] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -U xorg-server-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] transaction started
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] removed xf86-video-vesa (2.4.0-2)
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] removed xf86-video-intel (1:2.99.917+831+ge7bfc906-1)
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] removed xf86-video-fbdev (0.4.4+13+g9af7f81-1)
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] downgraded xorg-server (1.20.0-2 -> 1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2)
    [2018-05-18 08:31] [ALPM] transaction completed

• I also was hit by this issue. I had to rollback to the previous day using archive. I have Radeon HD6700. It normally works fine. This is worst update fail I have seen in sometime.

• So it seems that graphics drivers are a common cause for problems, especially with bigger changes (like 1.19 --> 1.20).

That just makes the old advice ever more important to check the forums (Arch and Antergos) before updating anything related to graphics or kernel.

Also an “un-orthodox” idea worth considering is to have a Debian install side by side with Antergos, just in case … ;)

• @manuel I doubt that will help, even with other distros and os now and again an update breaks things, the difference is on arch/antergos a solution usually exists in forums and takes less than 5 min to fix.

• start xfce works here like before… no problems on nvidia prop drivers… (latest drivers no legacy !)

• but in another post we find that libglib is giving errors on xfce:

journalctl | grep libglib
    https://ptpb.pw/Gnvz

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9915/desktop-crashes-after-login-xfsettingsd-crash/3

login117 xfce78 breaks31 updating29 Posts 16Views 1637
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.