• Graphical boot failed and ended in strange patterns on screen

Hi !

I got a big problem with Antergos today. On Sunday I booted the system, did my stuff and finally I did a full update via

pacman -Suy

I tried to boot up the system today, but when the graphical login should be loaded, the system hangs some seconds and finally a black screen with strange patterns (stripes, flickering) appears. Even the other TTYs via Ctrl+Alt+Fx looks like that.

I can see some parts of the prompt and can enter some commands, but some line are hidden by the patterns. I also tried an update with

pacman -Suy

But the problem remains even after reboot. Windows 7 on the same systems works normal. I tried also

startx

but there are some errors which I can read partially like

EE ... no screens found ...

Booting into fallback shows same problem. I have Nvidia GTX 1060 using the native Nvidia drivers.

Here my questions:

1. How can I boot directly into textmode to prevent the destroyed screen layout ?
    2. What can I check to solve the problem ?

A big thanks in advance !

Regards

• Hi !

I am not sure about that. I didn’t use the LTS versions before.

I installed the LTS Linux kernel and nviidia drivers too and booted them via GRUB2.

Same result …

I get the feeling that maybe the reason for this lies in some other software packages. Maybe X server ?

Regards.

• Dunno if it has something in common, but after yesterday’s xorg-* update Nvidia stopped working in hybrid graphics. I can only use the Intel card. Forcing nvidia with optirun freezes all the system.

Take a look at my portfolio

• Finally I was able to revive the system by downgrading some packages as root:

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg

pacman -U xorg-server-common-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
    pacman -U xorg-server-1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 

pacman -U nvidia-utils-390.48-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz nvidia-390.48-12-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

pacman -U linux-4.16.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 

I had to downgrade the kernel because of the older NVIDIA driver.

I don’t know the reason, but the current versions of Xserver, NVIDIA driver isn’t working on my PC.

But according to the ArchLinux forum it seems not to be an isolated problem.

Regards.

• @j-letzel It’s nothing but a temporary solution.

Take a look at my portfolio

boot255 strange16 graphical13 ended1 Posts 7Views 356
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.