• Any way to install without gnome?

I’m trying to install on old hardware that can support xfce at best. Is there a way to install without starting Gnome? The default boot gives an error message, then falls back to the display manager. Starting gnome classic from the display manager fails in the same way. Using F3 to start in 800x600 gives the installer start screen with no mouse or keyboard input. Using F3 to start in command line mode instead attempts to start gnome in full resolution, with the usual result.

• I’m trying to install on old hardware that can support xfce at best. Is there a way to install without starting Gnome? The default boot gives an error message, then falls back to the display manager. Starting gnome classic from the display manager fails in the same way. Using F3 to start in 800x600 gives the installer start screen with no mouse or keyboard input. Using F3 to start in command line mode instead attempts to start gnome in full resolution, with the usual result.

• Got gnome to boot. I chose 800x600 from the F3 menu, and the safe kernel from the F4 menu.

• a openbox iso is supposed to be coming soon also.

• That would be great since gnome barley runs on old computers like mine, even at 800x600. Doesn’t Gnome offload compositing to the CPU if the GPU isn’t powerful enough? That’s not a good strategy on an old machine. Another alternative for the Antegros developers would be to provide a lightweight install mode on the same disk- just running the installer on top of Openbox. It seems like this would hardly add anything to the ISO, and would make it more versatile.

Anyway I got XFCE installed. It seems at least as fast as Lubuntu was- all in all it seems like a good choice for old hardware.

• if you want speedier on old system cant beat openbox

• I’ve found that systems that can’t run XFCE well can’t run the internet well. Modern web pages are so bloated, they can bring the browser on an old machine to a crawl. I tried to get an Dell Inspiron 8200 to work, and although it could run XFCE just fine, surfing the web was painful. Scrolling web pages often had a 2-3 second lag. I tried Chromium, Firefox and Midori, but none were great. I’ve found the best browser on this hardware to be Firefox, since there is an extension called flashblock that stops flash from loading unless you want it to.

The inspiron 8600 I am working on now runs the internet much better. It must be the faster CPU, since both computers have 1/2g of RAM. I leave this computer in the lunchroom at work, so people can access the web on their breaks.

• ya a lot of the bloat of web sites can slow down older machines on the web. i think firefox would actually be too heavy for an older machine. something like midori would be best. there are several other small browsers that would work well i just cant think of all the names right now. a lot of them have ad and flash blockers. they even have text only browsers which are super light! all sorts of options out there for older hardware.

if you used openbox i think you would notice a big difference in speed.

you can also check the ram usage of the browser and see which ones lighter.

• @“itlarson”:qv0w059w said:

Another alternative for the Antegros developers would be to provide a lightweight install mode on the same disk- just running the installer on top of Openbox. It seems like this would hardly add anything to the ISO, and would make it more versatile. [/quote:qv0w059w]We have always seen the minimal iso as a solution for those without highspeed connections (so the initial download would be small). We havent considered older systems. This is a good idea and one we will consider implementing. Thanks for bringing it up

EDIT** I should mention that currently one can access the CLI without booting GNOME. I’m realizing that this is not well documented so I’ll try and fix that.

Posts 9Views 1585