• So are we running "Arch" now??

So by installing Antergos are we finally running an Arch Install or is it still kind of “Faux Arch” like Manjaro is? That’s not a hit at Manjaro either, I loved my Manjaro installs it’s just that I want to get to a more “pure” Arch install but don’t have the skills to do an actual Arch install the" Arch Way" so I had to cheap and do it the “Antergos Way”, LOL. Anyway, can we call ourselves Arch Users or are we still just foolin’ ourselves here?

No Matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

• So by installing Antergos are we finally running an Arch Install or is it still kind of “Faux Arch” like Manjaro is? That’s not a hit at Manjaro either, I loved my Manjaro installs it’s just that I want to get to a more “pure” Arch install but don’t have the skills to do an actual Arch install the" Arch Way" so I had to cheap and do it the “Antergos Way”, LOL. Anyway, can we call ourselves Arch Users or are we still just foolin’ ourselves here?

• Hi,

You can’t tell yourself you’re an Arch user, but that’s not bad. On the other hand, using antergos you’re using Arch repositories, so it’s basically an Arch system with some setup already done for you.

This may help: [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1896&p=8661&hilit=arch+antergos#p8661][0]">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1896&p=8661&hilit=arch+antergos#p8661

Basically, what Antergos does is:

• Install your system using Cnchi (antergos installer) using packages from the Arch repository and some other from the Antergos repository. The Antergos repository contains mainly some already compiled AUR programs, so it’s quicker to install them.
    • Configures your new system giving a more polished setup.

And that’s it!

On the other hand, Manjaro uses their own repositories, which is not good or bad per se, it’s just another approach.

Oh, by the way, don’t post in the Arch forums. They’ll get pissed off if they find out you’re not using Arch.

Welcome to Antergos!

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=

• @“TN.Frank”:1oq18s8u said:

So by installing Antergos are we finally running an Arch Install or is it still kind of “Faux Arch” like Manjaro is?[/quote:1oq18s8u]
    The way I see it, no, running Antergos is not running Arch. Antergos would have to get rid of a lot of polish and refinement, in order to reduce itself to being the same as Arch.

I loved my Manjaro installs it’s just that I want to get to a more “pure” Arch install but don’t have the skills to do an actual Arch install the" Arch Way" so I had to cheap and do it the “Antergos Way”, LOL.

I really feel whatever works best for someone is the distribution or derivative they should be running on their own machines. Personally, I did not care for Manjaro, but if that works best for some people, then who am I to stop them?

For what it is worth, I am betting you probably do have the skills to do an Arch Way install. I used to think the same thing, but I run Antergos on half of this machine’s hard drive, and Arch on the other half. It just takes time to install Arch, that’s all. Yes, I learned some things installing Arch, and yes, I was pretty proud that I managed to accomplish the install. But, at the end of the day, I prefer to use Antergos for everything. My reasoning is there is nothing to be gained by spending a lot of time giving Arch more of an Antergos look and feel, when you can just cut to the chase and run Antergos.

Anyway, can we call ourselves Arch Users or are we still just foolin’ ourselves here?

I don’t think anyone is fooling anyone, nor is anyone shaming themselves to say they are Antergos Users.

As karasu mentioned, don’t make the mistake of posting to the Arch forums, because they will get all ‘holier than thou’ with you, to make sure you know you are not running Arch. It is the same with Ubuntu users wanting to post on the Debian forums. But it’s all good, because the Antergos forum community is much more friendly and helpful, so who really needs the Arch forums?

• @“Mike”:eqxkm6zm said:

@“TN.Frank”:eqxkm6zm said:

But it’s all good, because the Antergos forum community is much more friendly and helpful, so who really needs the Arch forums?[/quote:eqxkm6zm][/quote:eqxkm6zm]

Exactly!

My DA gallery is here [http://dobbie03.deviantart.com/gallery/][0]"\>[http://dobbie03.deviantart.com/gallery/][1]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://dobbie03.deviantart.com/gallery/

• don’t make the mistake of posting to the Arch forums, because they will get all ‘holier than thou’ with you, to make sure you know you are not running Arch

• i guess to make it simple of course we are not running arch. but we are running on the arch system. i guess i would kinda compare this too linux mint and ubuntu.

we use arch commands and we use arch repos so its pretty much arch. just polished and ready to go.

• i love the cool kid club of it all LOL

• So by running Antergos we’re running Arch the way and Arch user wishes his system would be after many hours of work.LOL I’m not a member of the Arch Forum and don’t plan on becoming one even if I did an “pure” Arch install. I’d rather hang out someplace with folks that aren’t all stuck on themselves like here or the Manjaro forums then be with a bunch who think they’re better then everyone else because they were too stupid to do it the Easy Way. LOL
    I’m just glad that Antergos finally started working for me, not that I didn’t like Manjaro but Antergos just seems to be a bit more closer to Arch without all the fuss.

• Just rewatched LAS ep321 and Matt seems to think he’s running Arch even though it’s an Antergos install. I guess it all depends on what you think “Arch” really is.

• if someone asked me i would just say i run Antergos but its based on Arch.

look at all the distros out there. they all based on something. tons of ubuntu based ones which by the way is kinda based on debian. in the end its all just LInux goodness

• To put it in a nutshell. This is what I am given as installed OSes in my system…

“Ubuntu 14.04 trusty 3.13.0-30-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, Unity ubuntu), Ubuntu 3.13.0-32-generic, Arch linux, Antergos Linux”

Apart from Ubuntu, you can see I also get “Arch linux, Antergos Linux”. NO, I DO NOT have a “proper Archlinux” installed. It recognizes Antergos as Artchlinux.
    The same happens whenever I upgrade my Ubuntu kernels. It notifies me that it has also found ARCHLINUX in my system, NOT Antergos…!!!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• lol good point

• Ditto, when I had my Manjaro install Hardinfo would tell me the kernel and then say “Manjaro” but with Antergos it says the kernel then says “Arch” so really, what the Antergos guys have done is give those of us who either don’t want to or don’t currently have the skills a way to install REAL Arch without all the fuss and muss so as far as I’m concerned I’m running Arch, just a pre-configured version, that’s all.

• @" said:

Exactly!!! And as L.Torvalds said…

“Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done.”

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• I like unearthing threads.

If you really want to run Arch, I recommend you install an Arch system somewhere on your HD. Just shrink a partition and follow the directions on the Arch Wiki. It is not that hard to get a great system going in very little time and you will learn a bit along the way.

I have Arch installed on an old Dell laptop and I use it more than my desktop (used to be Arch, long story). It think it is running the 3.15 Kernel or the 3.14 LTS kernel. I forget. I just installed the LXQT desktop earlier today and it looks pretty good. I went back to LXDE after about 20 minutes. Its like an old pair of comfy shoes.

That being said, my Antergos Cinnamon installation worked great out of the box with exception to sound. It was a quick fix (only a twelve-pack) HDMI issue.

Derp

• I think some people have actually used Antergos (or Manjaro, or Chakra) as a springboard to Arch. When I realized how much I enjoy running Antergos, it gave me the nudge I needed to do a full-on Arch install. I now dual-boot Antergos and Arch on this machine, but I realize I generally boot into Arch about once a week, and only then to update the system.

You are correct in saying Arch is really not all that hard to install, but I find I really appreciate the ‘fit and finish’ of Antergos. The Archers will always remind me I am not really running Arch, but that is when I relax, smile and agree with them. Because I am running something better.

• Arch and its child distros such as Antergos are not the same thing but Antergos is very close. Antergos depends on Arch for very nearly everything and it’s users should remember that. Arch gets some things from the relationship too, such as an introduction to a wider audience. That isn’t the only way new people come to Arch but it helps grow the community.

Much of the Antergos community are Antergos users because it works best for them. It best meets their needs at this time. The same is of course true for most Arch users, and those using any other distro. There are users experimenting and learning for whom this isn’t yet true but by and large it is.

A person that has implemented Arch and has used it commonly has achieved something most haven’t. And yes, many of them are very proud of that. But it does take a different level of interest to gain the experience that building a Linux system from your own choices and actions gives you. There is a whole lot to be gained from that learning and experience. It is something to take pride in.

Antergos users are able to take advantage of choices and decisions that others have made for them. And some chances for learning that do take time and effort are lost in that. A starting point is given to Antergos users that is more evolved than an Arch user starts with. But at some point both Arch and Antergos users have very similar systems.

Someone that has really designed and built the system to that point is better informed of the underpinnings but both have the same tools for moving forward. Depending on the users experience level it can be that Antergos just jump starts the user to that point and lets them proceed just as an Arch user would. For some missing the preparation just helps put them in the deep water without the skills to survive well there.

Arch users do respect the community and get touchy about those that have taken shortcuts to joining them. But if you take the time to learn the Arch way, the Arch community goals, you will gain their respect. The first and really main thing is to be doing your best to think before you speak and listen too (understand) what you are told when asking for something.

• To put it in a nutshell…
    ""Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done."
    L.Torvalds

• well it make it really simple.

no its not arch…its antergos but its based on arch.

much like linux mint based on ubuntu.

who cares really…just enjoy what you like

Posts 29Views 12283