• switch_root: failed to execute /sbin/init: Input/output error

bump… it’s gone quiet… any clues about what to do
    don’t think it’s a hardware problem because my live antergos usb boots fine and I’m running chromium on it to write this. Something in the boot process is corrupt…

• sda 931.5G root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda1
    │ ext4 AntergosBoot
    │ 90f972da-2fd4-4439-a4b5-043679179a95 255M root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda2
    │ ext4 AntergosRoot
    │ 9f7ab6ff-dacd-4923-9f2c-3f6cffa875f7 /mnt 925.4G root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda3
    │ 1K root disk brw-rw----
    └─sda5
    swap AntergosSwap

start from live ISO chroot into system, rebuild kernel images / rebuild grub.cfg

sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
    arch-chroot /mnt
    mkinitcpio -p linux linux-lts
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• Be sure you mounted all partitions properly. You can follow the wiki

For EFI
    https://antergos.com/wiki/miscellaneous/how-to-fix-grub-with-efi-boot/

For Legacy BIOS
    https://antergos.com/wiki/miscellaneous/how-to-fix-grub-with-bios-boot/

You can also do the steps above and follow the end of the wiki bellow (update your system regenerate initramfs):

https://antergos.com/wiki/system-admin/kernel/fix-initramfs-warning-lib-modules-with-efi-boot/

• @boogy
    Could there be something wrong in /etc/fstab? Could you show the contents of it?

This time mount /dev/sda2 to /mnt, and give command:

sudo umount /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    cat /mnt/etc/fstab | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

and show the returned URL.

• @manuel @fernandomaroto now @boogy is fully supported ;)

• @joekamprad said in switch_root: failed to execute /sbin/init: Input/output error:

@manuel @fernandomaroto now @boogy is fully supported ;)

You’re always answering 2 minutes before me in almost every post kkkk :)

• @fernandomaroto
    Is it just faster fingers or faster internet connection? ;)

• @manuel said in switch_root: failed to execute /sbin/init: Input/output error:

@fernandomaroto
    Is it just faster fingers or faster internet connection? ;)

next time i’ll simply copy/paste @joekamprad answer :P

• You’re so lucky. I have DL speed only 32.0 Mbps, but ping is 30ms and upload 11.9 Mbps…

But end of off-topic for me! :)

• hi there, I was completely diverted away from computers, and I am just reviewing your last responses. The computer that had the problem has been sitting there exactly as it was, and I just have to get my head round it, and backtrack.

Thanks for your help, and I will resume here shortly.
    Cheers.

• carried out the instructions for @manuel
    ptpb.pw/PfHP

• also did fdisk -l
    ptpb.pw/b2EX

• Thought it would be worth trying out the first few commands:
    su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

these worked ok

arch-chroot /mnt
    got the error message:
    failed to run command ’ /bin/bash’: Input/output error

• @boogy
    That’s very strange. I checked all the things you showed and they all seem to be OK.
    Might be related to nvidia?

Could you show the output of command

lspci

• hello to my patient support @joekamprad @manuel @fernandomaroto

I am running antergos very well on an old thinkpad, but I seem to have fallen into a pit of despair with this lenovo ideapad Z710 recently. When I first installed antergos it ran on this laptop perfectly but since a certain time something has changed in the way linux etc is running on it. To my knowledge I haven’t done anything except use it.

If I want to leave a few files in my /home downloads folder can I try to install latest antergos from scratch as a last go before I just take it on the chin and re-install windows 10. I do like to learn but all this is teaching me is that when something goes completely pear shaped you have to know when to throw it away and start afresh.

Here’s my plan…

1. Anything I can do with my current situation. I am using chromium on the affected laptop right now using antergos usb stick to boot and everything is working perfectly, so I’m happy it’s not a hardware glitch. Do we actually know what the original error means and can I diagnose it further to pin it down? Is the arch-chroot failure I experienced a similar clue to the underlying problem?

2. Advice on reinstalling antergos over the existing system whilst retaining the /home downloads folder?

3. Other linux distros that may work better with my setup e.g. manjaro?

4. back to windows 10.

• Just trying out some investigation:

trying to find out a bit more about the original error, so /sbin/int is here…

[email protected] sbin]# ls -al init
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 9 12:13 init -> …/lib/systemd/systemd

and points to …systemd

• @boogy
    You have two graphics cards, nvidia geforce 840M and an Intel integrated card.
    That may cause a problem, since nvidia is currently not very well supporting older graphics cards. And as you have two cards, you may have installed some drivers that may not work well. But I’m not an expert on these, maybe @joekamprad could look at this idea?

Anyway, if you can use only Intel graphics, that might work as a temporary solution.

But as I said before, everything I looked at seems to be OK. It is strange that arch-chroot is not working. Currently I have no more ideas about the cause.

But: after mounting /mnt and /mnt/boot, what do you see there? Commands

ls -la /mnt
    ls -la /mnt/boot

so is everything there OK?

execute3 inputoutput1 sbininit1 switchroot1 Posts 48Views 2214
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.