• Update frequency

Hello people.

What would you say is the frequency to update Antergos more appropriate? Every several hours? … every day? … every few days? …

Thank you!

Comparte todo lo que puedas, no te canses nunca. Y cuando creas que ya no tienes nada que compartir…vuelve a empezar. [email protected] ganaremos.
    "Si está en mis manos, está en las tuyas".
    Por aquí cocinamos: https://recetasbellas.com/

• @juanbellas I think that is kinda personal preference. I personally run and install updates once a week. It’s good practice to check the Arch main page and also here in announcements forum before updates to make sure no issues are happening.

A lot of times any issues from new updates are ironed out rather quickly or work-arounds are posted. Again, this is all on how you use your system.

• Yeah once a week would be a good practise.

But if you take backups or filesystem snapshots if possible before updates and have the time to fix a bit of stuff, it doesn’t really matter because you can easily go back to the previous situation.

Checking the Arch website, and the issues forums here is also helpful before performing important updates.

• I usually update whenever the Software Update application prompts me and there has never really been an issue.

• @nate_the_scriv I understand and that’s also my experience. But when things go wrong, it can be a real mess if you don’t have a backup

• @earthmind said in Update frequency:

Yeah once a week would be a good practise.

But if you take backups or filesystem snapshots if possible before updates and have the time to fix a bit of stuff, it doesn’t really matter because you can easily go back to the previous situation.

Checking the Arch website, and the issues forums here is also helpful before performing important updates.

Are the backups automated or do you create them manually?

Comparte todo lo que puedas, no te canses nunca. Y cuando creas que ya no tienes nada que compartir…vuelve a empezar. [email protected] ganaremos.
    "Si está en mis manos, está en las tuyas".
    Por aquí cocinamos: https://recetasbellas.com/

• I still create them manually but I could easily automate them if I wanted, by creating a little script.

I take BTRFS snapshots before updates and frequently make backups of my filesystem.

• @earthmind said in Update frequency:

I take BTRFS snapshots before updates and frequently make backups of my filesystem.

Very good.

Backups are very important in Linux. Reliable and tested disaster recovery procedure is even more important than backup itself.

Good backup-restore allow to recover completely broken OS (-es), on a formatted harddisk, on a computer which doesn’t boot normally, without Internet or LAN connection, or on any other computer.

These procedures are automated to some degree, but mostly done by hand.

frequency4 Posts 8Views 360
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.