• Can we have offline installer, or at least cache install files?

I’m concerned with the download size during install, and what will happen with slow connections, or if there’s an error etc.

Official Arch and Manjaro publish regular iso’s with latest updates which is perfect for this, and since its a rolling release things will need to be updated anyway in a day if not an hour. But the install should be very reilable IMO and not fail.

At the very least cnchi could cache the files it downloads on the usb, and on next install it can compare versions and only get updates, or give the option to the user to use the cache. I don’t think this would be hard to do and would be a very nice feature.

• @defc said in Can we have offline installer, or at least cache install files?:

At the very least cnchi could cache the files it downloads on the usb, and on next install it can compare versions and only get updates, or give the option to the user to use the cache. I don’t think this would be hard to do and would be a very nice feature.

Yep, problem is the iso is not writable.

Cnchi uses -c parameter that allows to give it a folder where it will search for xz packages (but it will not copy the downloaded ones).

You’ve given me an idea. What if Cnchi allowed you to connect an external drive or an extra usb, mount it, and use it as cache? (so it will store xz packages in it, in addition to the install destination partition).

Somthing like cnchi -w /mnt/usb2

• @karasu That sounds great! And the ”external” partition could be on the same installer USB stick, to allow using the same (and only one) stick again.

• @karasu
    How about being able to copy those xz packages from an existing (typically up-to-date) installation to the installer stick just before installing from the stick?
    If the installer could support it with a simple script so that proper partitions are made available…

And if that support would exist, I could imagine that a user might later like to update those xz packages into the stick (from an official repository) and use the stick again to install Antergos to another machine. :)

No pressure though, these are just some future development ideas. ;)

• @karasu this would work. It could be a separate partition on the same usb but that would be a bit harder to achieve since most people make the usb from iso using standard tools like Rufus, and all the guides tell them to do so.

Having a 2nd usb which just serves as a store of all downloaded files is perfect. The installer can try to detect and prompt you for it, if its not found then things proceed as normal. If it is then updates are downloaded to it.

This also allows the installer itself to be updated independently and this could even be an option in installer - e.g. ‘update package cache’. This can be done by the user at the same time as making the iso. Then the actual install would be much faster which also greatly improves the user experience and gives the perception of a better product :)

• @karasu
    I like it!
    At least in case of a failed install all packages downloaded by cnchi would be backed up to external hard drive reducing time and net usage for a new attempt.

@karasu, i also think that having some files at pacman cache (as it is today) is a mistake. It’s ok if someone try to install Antergos right after the iso is released, but ot after a month or so, right before the ew release. I mean that because since will download the latest version even if an old is present at cache, right?
    That way the iso will be smaller too.

With @karasu excuse:
    @defc if for some reason you are having trouble installing you can try Portergos, it has an offline installer and will install a system pretty much like the one you face using the iso.

If you’re interested:
    Info;
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Download;
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso/releases/download/iso_apr_18_2018/portergos-2018.04.18-x86_64.iso
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso/releases/download/iso_apr_18_2018/portergos-2018.04.18-x86_64.md5sum

• @fernandomaroto Thanks, hadn’t heard of Portergos till now, looks like a cool project. But since my desktop of choice is KDE I will stick to Antergos for now.

I am actually very happy with Antergos so far and am planning to wipe Windows from my other pc and switch to it full time.

• @karasu said in Can we have offline installer, or at least cache install files?:

You’ve given me an idea. What if Cnchi allowed you to connect an external drive or an extra usb, mount it, and use it as cache? (so it will store xz packages in it, in addition to the install destination partition).
    Somthing like cnchi -w /mnt/usb2

Hi @karasu , did you already find time to implement this? Or did you decide it can wait? :)
    I just installed the latest available cnchi-dev 0.16.192-1 and it didn’t show -w option…

• @manuel said in Can we have offline installer, or at least cache install files?:

Hi @karasu , did you already find time to implement this? Or did you decide it can wait?
    I just installed the latest available cnchi-dev 0.16.192-1 and it didn’t show -w option…

Then you should have seen a screen like this one: 😀

0_1533315929518_7518868f-8843-46a6-83b1-e16e068ccdc0-imatge.png

• @karasu
    Oh, I didn’t dare to go that far on my machine… ;)
    So it has been implemented, great!
    Must use it next time I install Antergos to someone! ;)

Cheers!

installer57 cache5 offline4 Posts 10Views 1157
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.