• CUPS Won't Allow User

Hi, on a new KDE install, when I try to install an HPLJ 2420DN, neither the printer application nor CUPS will allow me as an end user to install a printer. I get the error message “Forbidden”. How can I proceed? Thanks in advance.

• @frogprince
    How did you try to install?
    Can you install as root?

• As far as i know it is not implemented to install printer as normal user.
    Cups Webinterface and printer settings will ask to unlock with root + password.

• what worked for me was to add my regular user name to the group “sys” with # gpasswd -a user group

(this is not a very clever move by Antergos, to force users to add themselves to the sys group but at the moment it seems to be the only way to install printers)

• Only adding and changing driver for printer is needing root privileges, printing works as normal user, default settled with wheel group privileges. .

• @joekamprad said in CUPS Won't Allow User:

Only adding and changing driver for printer is needing root privileges, printing works as normal user, default settled with wheel group privileges. .

Right on. User needs to use root and root’s password to setup, normal user with wheel (sudo gpasswd -a username wheel), and normal user to print. This is the correct way to setup CUPS & printer defaults/privileges.

regards

• LOL! Since I can’t submit a correction, I’ll have to reply to my own post. Change “normal user with wheel” to “superuser with wheel.”

• Erase and repost the corrected😎

cups19 allow5 Posts 8Views 335
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.