• Krusader, anyone?

I’m still learning there is a lot out there for KDE, and I found Krusader today. I haven’t installed it, yet. I’m curious if anyone here uses it, or if they don’t (within KDE) why?

Thanks folks!

• Hi. Absolutely I use it. It’s just a matter of something to get used to besides other file mgrs like dolphin. There’s a lot to be said of Krusader which is positive. The tool bar at the top is handy. Wanting to start a terminal session with that file manager is great too. Can use it in root as well. Can also rename multiple files using it. Can also alternate it’s view mode from horizontal to vertical. Can also use hotkeys like the FN # keys for deleting, editing, viewing, etc, etc. Can also swap panels if you want. Can also use it to find disk usage via Tools> Disk Usage. And even then, you can have multiple views of disk usage if you want. Can view it using bar mode, pie mode, etc, etc.
    Can also use it for mountman.
    And so much, much more :)
    Why do you ask?

• @modisc Hahaha! I’m always looking for something better. This just might fit the bill. ;-)

• @adam-worth
    You might want to check konqueror, too. It is both a file manager and a web browser. And has its strong points compared to others.
    I used to use it, but on Xfce nowadays I have other alternatives.

• @manuel said in Krusader, anyone?:

@adam-worth
    You might want to check konqueror, too. It is both a file manager and a web browser. And has its strong points compared to others.
    I used to use it, but on Xfce nowadays I have other alternatives.

Well, that’s different! I haven’t ruled it out, but I’ll have to play with it a bit more to know for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

• @modisc said in Krusader, anyone?:

Hi. Absolutely I use it. It’s just a matter of something to get used to besides other file mgrs like dolphin. There’s a lot to be said of Krusader which is positive. The tool bar at the top is handy. Wanting to start a terminal session with that file manager is great too. Can use it in root as well. Can also rename multiple files using it. Can also alternate it’s view mode from horizontal to vertical. Can also use hotkeys like the FN # keys for deleting, editing, viewing, etc, etc. Can also swap panels if you want. Can also use it to find disk usage via Tools> Disk Usage. And even then, you can have multiple views of disk usage if you want. Can view it using bar mode, pie mode, etc, etc.
    Can also use it for mountman.
    And so much, much more :)
    Why do you ask?

This is odd. I can install it, but it won’t launch. Once again, I shake my head and wonder what I might have done wrong…

• Trying to launch from Terminal, I get:

20:59:29.612-debug default [email protected] # System icon theme: “Dex_KDE”
    20:59:29.688-warning default [email protected] # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
    20:59:29.692-warning default [email protected] # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
    20:59:29.710-warning default [email protected] # Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.

This is from the git version in the AUR. I decided to try that since it wouldn’t work from within the Antergos Repos. Same problem. I see the icon pop up on the panel, the bouncy icon thingy happens, then all disappears.

• This is what I get from the Antergos Repo:

Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
    qt.svg: <input>:146:761: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
    qt.svg: <input>:146:948: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.

• @adam-worth
    I just installed krusader and it starts OK. A brief testing showed no issues.

• @adam-worth
    If you have installed packages from AUR, could some of them cause an incompatilibity?
    And your system is otherwise up to date?

• @manuel
    I originally started with the Antergos version. It wouldn’t run. So, I removed it using Package Manager. I then looked for another version on the AUR, and tried it. That version didn’t work, either. My system is up-to-date, and I don’t know what could be causing an incompatibility. It’s not imperative that I have Krusader, but I was curious to see if I’d like to use it over Dolphin. Nothing wrong with Dolphin…Just curious.

• @adam-worth
    Strange.
    The only idea I have is the incompatible dependencies.
    When you installed it for the first time, it should have worked. But uninstalling it may have left the dependencies behind, and those deps may have been incompatible with the AUR version?

So you could try setting pamac to remove dependencies on uninstall too. Then uninstall krusader, and later try to reinstall the official version.

• @manuel said in Krusader, anyone?:

@adam-worth
    Strange.
    The only idea I have is the incompatible dependencies.
    When you installed it for the first time, it should have worked. But uninstalling it may have left the dependencies behind, and those deps may have been incompatible with the AUR version?

So you could try setting pamac to remove dependencies on uninstall too. Then uninstall krusader, and later try to reinstall the official version.

That’s a great idea, but the Krusader from the AUR Repos wouldn’t fly. Even in terminal. So, with the setting you suggested, I removed Krusader.git and then used the terminal to yaourt krusader. It said it loaded, but when I tried to launch it the program wouldn’t start. So, I tried to launch it from Terminal, and got the same errors I had before. So, then I tried sudo krusader, and it launched. I went through setup, and then the panels opened up. However, here’s what I get in terminal after it launches:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-root’

(gst-plugin-scanner:5731): GStreamer-WARNING **: 13:53:56.085: Failed to load plugin ‘/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstopencv.so’: libopencv_bgsegm.so.3.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.

(gst-plugin-scanner:5731): GStreamer-WARNING **: 13:53:56.347: Failed to load plugin ‘/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstfluidsynthmidi.so’: libfluidsynth.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(gst-plugin-scanner:5731): GStreamer-WARNING **: 13:53:56.483: Failed to load plugin ‘/usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstzbar.so’: libzbar.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
    kf5.kservice.services: The desktop entry file “/usr/share/applications/org.kde.systemmonitor.desktop” has Type= “Application” but no Exec line
    kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service : “/usr/share/applications/org.kde.systemmonitor.desktop”

So, it looks like something isn’t right, and Krusader will not launch unless I use sudo krusader in a terminal. I don’t know/think this is going to be worth the hassle.

• @adam-worth
    Seems something wrong with package gstreamer.

You could reinstall package gst-plugins-bad:

sudo pacman -S gst-plugins-bad

• Don’t know if this is related to your issues, but as a general rule, it is better to avoid using AUR if there is anything similar in the official packages.

AUR packages are made by users, not the Antergos nor Arch team. So they are not officially supported, and sometimes some AUR packages are not updated properly or often enough.

• Well, well, well! A fresh install (please don’t ask why), and it works! Woo-hoo! Yet, I’m still using Dolphin. Hahahaha!

• @Adam-Worth
    I am also discovering a lot in KDE and like you I’ve stumbled also on Krusader and Konqueror. Both did their jobs and I was very impressed about Konqueror. I didn’t keep it, because the browser isn’t compatible with some services I use (so does Falkon btw)
    The reason why I returned to Dolphin is, because KDE stopped using Krusader and Konqueror as their default filemanager.
    I know both apps get updates, so me returning to Dolphin is merely based on feeling over rationality. From all the DE’s, KDE is all about user’s choice and I applaud that, but I sometimes get the feeling that KDE has too much choices and options.
    Don’t get me wrong, I am a very happy KDE user.

• @adam-worth I am using myself for years. tabbed browsing and remembering directories is nice. not nice is that they made it simpler recently. copy/move queue used to open in separate window. I could add new files to queue easily. now it starts copy/move concurrent process. overall progress is not as clear to see.

krusader2 Posts 18Views 1073
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.