• The new installation does not recognize the previous ones

Hello people.

Why is the grotto from Antergos getting along so badly with the grub from other facilities in Antergos?

I have several partitions on my hard drive and every new installation breaks everything down, having to manually edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file.

With other systems does not seem to have problems and recognizes them, although Manjaro does not get along very well either.

Is it something that you have to get used to, or is there some kind of solution to avoid having to go through everything every time a new installation is made?

Greetings, Juan.

• this is a bug with almost all archbased distros, as far as i know there is no solution jet.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Arch_not_found_from_other_OS

But this also do not produce a working entry here…

• If you install the lsb-release package in Antergos you are installing the Arch Linux package, which contains the Arch Linux identification.

• Actually this is a feature in Arch+derivates and a bug (out of laziness) in many other distros.

AFAIK, Arch based distros do not include Intel’s microcode into the kernel, but many other distros (like e.g. Ubuntu) do. Arch based systems have a separate (Intel) microcode file that is given to the kernel via the initrd line in grub.cfg.

And those other distros fail to generate the initrd line properly into grub.cfg for Arch based distros.

This problem has been reported and a fix proposal sent in October 2016:
    https://askubuntu.com/a/842802
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubntu/+source/os-prober/+bug/1635781
    but so far Ubuntu people have made nothing to fix it.

You have a workaround though. You can write a boot menu entry for any Arch based distro into file /boot/grub/custom.cfg. Do that in the system that takes care of booting.

The file could be something like (here the LTS kernel is used):

menuentry "Antergos LTS" {
        savedefault
        set kernel=linux-lts
        search --set --file /boot/vmlinuz-$kernel
        probe -u $root --set=uuid
        linux  /boot/vmlinuz-$kernel root=UUID=$uuid rw quiet
        initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-$kernel.img
    }

And if you have many Antergos installation on a disk, you could use e.g. partition labels instead of UUIDs to separate them from each other.

• Installing the lsb-release package is AFAIK merely an optimization to help other systems to recognize Arch based distros much faster (about ten minutes!) than without it.

• but also Antergos/Archlinux itself do not write correct grub entries for other Antergos/Arch installations ;)

• And that is so wrong… ;)

Probably the cause of all problems is the os-prober program.
    Hopefully someday someone rewrites it and fixes all its problems! :)

• Forgive my ignorance, but I do not understand very well what Ubuntu has to do with all this.

The problems come, at least in my case, when I have installed in a partition, for example Antergos Cinnamon, and in another openSUSE Tumbleweed.

When wanting to install Antergos KDE, for example, in a third partition, the grub does not recognize the partition of Antergos Cinnamon, although it does openSUSE.

• @juanbellas
    So you have installed several distros on a disk (or disks).
    Which one of them did you select to control the boot process? I.e. the grub of who?

• Do you mean that the grub of Antergos KDE is not recognizing Antergos Cinnamon partition?

• @manuel said in The new installation does not recognize the previous ones:

Do you mean that the grub of Antergos KDE is not recognizing Antergos Cinnamon partition?

yes, it is true i never get a second Antergos or Arch installation with a bootable grub entry here…
    i do allways generate grub.cfg inside new installs and copy the part into my main grub.cfg

• @joekamprad
    Then as a workaround you can create a shared /boot/grub/custom.cfg like in this example:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9834/the-new-installation-does-not-recognize-the-previous-ones/4

It is unfortunate that os-prober has this kind of an issue (and has had for a long time).
    But as you know, antergos-customcfg can also be used for a workaround until os-prober is fixed.

• Definitely for me the kernel panic problem that is generated every time you install a new system on your PC is a real toothache.

And it is something that I feel very sorry because Antergos I was liking, and a lot, but I can not walk with so many problems every time I make a new installation, and I do a lot, always trying new things.

If that system were the only one on my hard drive, it would not matter, but not like that.

And the problem is always the same: if I install another version of Antergos (Cinnamon … Mate … Gnome …) I do not recognize the previous ones, and if I install another different distro (openSUSE … Trisquel. … Debian …) I do recognize them, but it causes kernel panic when I want to enter.

If the one I install is Manjaro, then he recognizes me and not others, but I also get the kernel panic.

• @juanbellas
    Note that this is somewhat a problem for many distros, not specifically to Antergos. For example, in my experience, Ubuntu does not generate correct grub entry for Antergos, but causes a kernel panic. The fix would be very simple, but for some reason it hasn’t been fixed.

• Anyway, I refuse to throw in the towel.
    I will continue trying to get Antergos to become my main system for my day to day life.
    Partly because of how well it works, and partly because of the good vibes that exist in this forum.

• @juanbellas
    I think that’s a great decision. All distros have their benefits and problems, but I too decided to use Antergos as my main system. The benefits/problems ratio is the best in my mind.

grub111 Posts 16Views 550
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.