• Boot Manager won't show

It did work when i was using Debian/windows but when i changed the Debian install to Antergos i lost the boot manager and i don’t know why.
    I did install grub on the same drive as before.

• Do you read here on DualBoot with windows?
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/
    And is it a legacy BIOS system or EFI?

• And welcome at the forum!

• I’m using EFI, is it possible the problem is that im missing EFI boot partition?

• if you want dualboot with windows you will need follow the wiki from link i give you, this will mount the EFI partition from windows and use it to put an entry for Antergos.

• Make 100% sure that your computer is running efi and not BIOS. I know it has been asked already, but, if you have BIOS and try to install efi, you will get a flashing cursor at boot and nothing else. I forgot this last reinstall I did because I have an I7 and thought I remembered I7’s doing away with bios, and, went through the process several times before realizing it. Also you must install windows first if doing a fresh install. You don’t have to set it as /boot/efi or what ever, just set your windows system partition as /boot and check the drive it’s on to install grub.

• @michaelnothing said in Boot Manager won't show:

Make 100% sure that your computer is running efi and not BIOS. I know it has been asked already, but, if you have BIOS and try to install efi, you will get a flashing cursor at boot and nothing else. I forgot this last reinstall I did because I have an I7 and thought I remembered I7’s doing away with bios, and, went through the process several times before realizing it. Also you must install windows first if doing a fresh install. You don’t have to set it as /boot/efi or what ever, just set your windows system partition as /boot and check the drive it’s on to install grub.

Are you saying i did install grub on the wrong drive if i installed it at the same drive as Antergos?

Damn i hate grub

• @galnart not sure what your set up is,

I have a more complicated set up, but, if you have two harddrives and one is windows and one is linux, the simpliest solution is always to Mount your windows system partition as /boot it should be like 512MB, but, that is more than enough space, and, it won’t effect windows in anyway. This is the harddrive you put the check mark to install grub.

I like things to be complicated, so I use lvm to trick my linux partitions into thinking they are one drive and then make logical volumes for my individual partitions, /, /home, /media, and /var, with the /boot on the system partition as I said above and windows residing on it’s own partition. This is not necesary at all, I’m just a control freak and think lvm is cool, lol.

I have never tried to install grub on a different drive than the one containing my, /boot partition, so I don’t know how if it works or not.

• @michaelnothing How do i mount my system partition as /boot?

• WTH?
    Mounting windows system under /boot ? ?
    That’s sounds very odd to me.
    As far as I know, most windows installed on EFI systems have a boot partition separated from the system partition. Formatted with fat32 and holding the bootentries, and needs to bemounted under /boot/efi

• The small 512 MB partition on windows installs is system reserved. I am not talking about where your c drive resides.

• @joekamprad further more, I told him to ensure it is an efi computer, because I myself have tried installing on a gpt harddrive as efi when I had a BIOS system that should have had MBR. With that set up /boot is correct not /boot/efi. If you mess this up grub won’t show up just a blinking cursor.

• @michaelnothing you need to be more precise, and take care to do not confuse other users more then helping …
    system = C drive mostly nfts // and EFI = the boot partition fat32

And i do already ask to make sure about EFI or BIOS before…

But I do not want to stop you from continuing to help, we need every helping user here :)

• Here it shows how to create the mountiong pioint for the already existing EFI partition from windows:
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/#Partitioning

• @joekamprad I’m sorry to say you are wrong. When installing windows, the boot partition is called system reserved as I said, hence system partition. Been installing windows for years.

• I was talking about this one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition
    As this is where we find the boot entries and what we need to mount under /boot/efi to write Antergos entry inside.

There are different definitions for system partition:

Common definition:
    The system partition is the disk partition that contains the operating system folder, known as the system root. By default, in Linux, operating system files are mounted at / (the root directory).

Microsoft definition:
    The system partition (or system volume) is a primary partition that contains the boot loader, a piece of software responsible for booting the operating system. This partition holds the boot sector and is marked active.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_partition_and_boot_partition

But as we are at a linux forum i do not use the microsoft definition, as i do think also that calling the boot partition system partition is confusing, as system implements system as OS, and so system partition implements it is holding the system.

But please stop offtopic chat here!

@Galnart needs help and the topic is not for us to struggle on definitions.

• I hope it’s possible to solve this from the command line, i don’t wanna reinstall Antergos.
    I really enjoy Antergos though it would’ve been fantastic to dual boot if grub just worked.

• @galnart 20 days later still the same situation?

To see what you may have wrong, try to remember what do you setup.

If it is a EFI system and Windows is also installed in EFI mode and not legacy mode, you will need a EFI fat32 partition to get a bootloader aviable.

You can just start from Live ISO and open gparted, make a screenshot and post it here or copy paste from terminal what can be done with lsblk -fm

Do you read already what we have in the WIKI?

https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

• I have windows and Antergos installed.

“Next is to create the /boot/efi partition. Actually, we don’t need to create it! Windows already has it. We can just specify the path to it. Just make sure to NOT format it.”

according to the wiki Windows should already have the partition installed and i only need to specify path to it and the bootloader should work?

it’s not in legacy bios mode that one im sure about.

• NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    sda 477G root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda1
    │ vfat UEFI_SYSTEM
    │ 5A02-061A /boot/efi 200M root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda2
    │ ext4 AntergosBoot
    │ 13e6b094-46eb-44d8-a2b6-3bf326444712 /boot 256M root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda3
    │ ext4 AntergosRoot
    │ ac2a2b02-4cbd-406c-b9a0-c206e9101f17 / 29.3G root disk brw-rw----
    ├─sda4
    │ ext4 AntergosHome
    │ 57d5bd46-5f1a-4377-93b2-0cfd29b2191c /home 431.5G root disk brw-rw----
    └─sda5
    swap AntergosSwap
    0ffd5d2a-4ffb-4fef-8f61-4e96f6e94d8b [SWAP] 15.7G root disk brw-rw----
    sdb 3.7T root disk brw-rw----
    └─sdb1
    ntfs THE 20F68A67F68A3CD2 3.7T root disk brw-rw----
    nvme0n1
    │ 931.5G root disk brw-rw----
    ├─nvme0n1p1
    │ ntfs Recovery
    │ C4A4B498A4B48E84 499M root disk brw-rw----
    ├─nvme0n1p2
    │ vfat F8B5-C327 100M root disk brw-rw----
    ├─nvme0n1p3
    │ 16M root disk brw-rw----
    └─nvme0n1p4
    ntfs 7ED4BCA8D4BC6455 930.9G root disk brw-rw----

grub111 Posts 27Views 1031
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.