• Veeam Backup on Arch/Antergos

Veeam Backup for Linux is awesome. I just did an install on Ubuntu, because it supports Debian and Ubuntu and a few others. Not Arch.

So, can anyone find a way to install this on Arch/Antergos?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforlinux/userguide/installation_process.html

I installed the .deb file for the repository and updated. Installed “apt-get install veeam” and it works. Made a few backups, installed another distro replacing completely Ubuntu and restore Ubuntu. All perfect.

I’m using Veeam Endpoint Backup for years on Windows and it just works. So if this works on Antergos… wow, backups are going to be on Veeam.

Thanks
    cas

• You could try using the snap package

• @judd said in Veeam Backup on Arch/Antergos:

You could try using the snap package

Thank you for the tip, I will for sure. Snaps have a few restrictions but I really have to try it.

“What is a snap?
    A snap :
    is a squashFS filesystem containing your app code and a snap.yaml file containing specific metadata. It has a read-only file-system and, once installed, a writable area.
    is self-contained. It bundles most of the libraries and runtimes it needs and can be updated and reverted without affecting the rest of the system.
    is confined from the OS and other apps through security mechanisms, but can exchange content and functions with other snaps according to fine-grained policies controlled by the user and the OS defaults.”

Veeam will need full access. Let’s see it how it goes.

• @casquinhas
    I know that at least some .deb packages can be extracted and then copied to a suitable place, in this case to e.g. /opt/veeam. You may, after extracting, also remove unnecessary files that are not used in Antergos/Arch.

Later you may create a symlink to /usr/local/bin pointing to the executable somewhere in /opt/veeam.

Extracting can be done with bsdtar:

bsdtar -xf somefile.deb

• @manuel said in Veeam Backup on Arch/Antergos:

@casquinhas
    I know that at least some .deb packages can be extracted and then copied to a suitable place, in this case to e.g. /opt/veeam. You may, after extracting, also remove unnecessary files that are not used in Antergos/Arch.

Later you may create a symlink to /usr/local/bin pointing to the executable somewhere in /opt/veeam.

Extracting can be done with bsdtar:

bsdtar -xf somefile.deb

I’ve seen the install of Veeam on Ubuntu/Debian and it has too much stuff going on very low on the operating system, that I don’t think that any workaround will work. I’ll wait for a supported install on Arch.

Meanwhile, I managed to install Ubuntu on the laptop and put Veeam to work. Installed also Ubuntu on an external HD, boot up from the external HD and backup my Antergos HD from my SSD to another HD I have on the laptop. Yes, it has two hard disks, SSD with Antergos and another 500GB HD for data. This way it copies it very well and fast.
    So my Antergos backups are going to be made this way. Boot up Ubuntu, and use Veeam to create a differential backup, just as it does in Windows. One full that keeps getting updated and 14 very small backups.

The only problem I found so far, is that it does allow you to backup to another external USB.

Boot Ubuntu -> Veeam backup -> internal HD or SSD = works

Boot Ubuntu -> Veeam backup -> usb PEN, or external HD = does not work

But if you have Ubuntu/Debian or those supported distros and boot with the distro, it works normally.

• @casquinhas
    About your strange problem with another USB drive: what exactly does not work? Can you mount all USB’s? Do you see any error message that you could share here?

I’m using several external USB drives for the same purpose, concurrently, without problems. But I’m not using Veeam. So it may be a Veeam issue?

backup13 archantergos1 veeam1 Posts 8Views 705
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.