• Wipe ChromeOS & Install Antergos KDE?

I have a year old ChromeOS laptop, and I’m getting away from Google. I’d love to install Antergos KDE on it. I do not want the ChromeOS at all, so I don’t want to go the way of Crouton. No dual boots. Just Antergos on a Chrome Box. Any ideas on how to do this? Since this distro uses very few resources, I’d think it’d be a natural for this kind of laptop.

TIA

• @adam-worth said in Wipe ChromeOS & Install Antergos KDE?:

ChromeOS laptop

ARM processor maybe --> https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @adam-worth What Chromebook do you have? You may need an ARM build, or an x86 build depending on which you’ve actually got.

The short version is that you need to activate Legacy boot mode, which will allow you to boot from a USB. From there, installation is as you would any Linux distro on any computer. I’ve been running Linux on my Acer C720 chromebook for years (it’s a Haswell i3 with 4GB of RAM, with an after-purchase upgrade to a 120GB M.2 SSD). How to enable Legacy boot mode varies based on what Chromebook you have, but it’s usually some hotkey you have to hold at startup to enter dev mode, followed by a command to configure it at console in Chrome OS. Legacy Boot Mode uses Coreboot to boot the laptop, and should work with any modern distro.

The Arch wiki has done a pretty good job of writing up what kind of support there is. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chrome_OS_devices

I’d suggest booting from a live USB and testing everything first, to make sure you aren’t going to run into hardware issues - when I first installed Linux on my Chromebook, it needed a weird touchpad driver that wasn’t in mainline kernel yet. I was able to work around it with an X configuration, so it wasn’t a deal breaker, but be aware you might have to do stuff like that.

Stop reading here if you aren’t prepared to irrevocably destroy your Chromebook in a way that would prevent it from booting at all.

On mine, I installed a 3rd party BIOS from johnlewis.ie. It wasn’t necessary to the function of the laptop, but it got rid of the Google Chrome logo on startup and a prompt that delayed boot by a few seconds. I would not advise installing it until you’re absolutely certain you’re never going back, and are ok with the prospect of possibly bricking it to the degree that you’ll have to tear it down and replace the motherboard. I never had a problem with mine, but your mileage may vary.

• Check if your chromebook is linux compatible first. If it is, follow first part of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGcd9sSQok

Then follow the install procedure for Antergos insted of installing Ubuntu.

So, check thoroughly first, or you might end up with an expensive paper weight.

• Thank you, JoeKamprad, TaraF & MrEcks. I’ll experiment with this and let you all know.

Happy Trails!

• @taraf . I have an Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532. The support for Gallium says that it has an Intel Braswell. And, having YouTubed & Googled the crap out of this, I can’t even get it to boot from USB even after removing the write-protect screw and following all pieces of advice. So, I guess I’m stuck with ChromeOS unless/until someone comes up with a sure fire way of wiping it and installing another OS from USB. I’m not going to call this an exercise in futility. It certainly was a learning experience.

Thanks again to everyone for chipping in. (Legacy Boot Ctrl-L and the alternative Ctrl-U do not work)

• http://blog.zxwind.info/2016/03/19/Replace-Chrome-OS-with-Linux-on-Acer-Chromebook-15/

Ha ha you are right, to hack into Chromebook looks like a journey deep into it!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• Thanks @joekamprad
    Egads! I’m going to have to think about this, but thanks for the link! It’s not the same kind of Chromebook, but it just might be close enough. Still…I wish it could be easier! The chances to muck this up are very high!

• Congrats on getting away from google. Somethings seem hard at first, but, with a little reading are quite easy. Can not stand Google. I have a google nexus 6 running a custom ROM and microg with all the Google bits ripped out. That is how much I hate Google. I even bought the phone second hand so they wouldn’t make any money off me.

I’m not sure what chrome books cost, but, it seems to me it is just as easy to sell and buy a laptop second hand. That’s what I did. I picked up a first gen I5 lenovo thinkpad a few years back and installed Antergos GNOME on it, and, have lived happily ever after. I am savvy so I upgraded everything from the motherboard, graphics, processor to an I7, 8 gb of memory, and, threw a 1 tera HDD in there for good measure. It isn’t as dificult if you pay attention and there are tons of tutorials to get you started. Granted I lost the use of my trackpad, but, my thinkpad has a trackpoint and second set of mouse buttons attached to the keyboard, so I don’t miss it. Besides tinkering is fun, and, when you buy second hand it doesn’t hurt as much when you mess something up.

• Hi @michaelnothing. Thanks for the post. I’m actually running Antergos KDE on my Acer laptop, but I had also picked up the Acer Chromebook as a backup and/or for travel. I was really hoping that I would be able to get Chrome OS off and put Antergos on, but it looks like there are too many limits placed on this particular Chromebook. It works great for what it is, though.

• Gotcha, I just avoid Google at all costs as I’m a member of the tinfoil hat brigade, 😜, I don’t even use YouTube without using the newpipe app, which lets you view and subscribe to channels, without tracking and without a Google account for the subscriptions. Searches are done through startpage which uses Google through proxies and without paid page ranking.

Yeah I’m one of those guys, so the idea of buying anything Google kind of turns my stomach. That said my nexus 6 runs great with custom ROMs and microg with yalp store, and fdroid, so I can’t say much.

Are you sure your particular model would be that difficult to tinker with, I thought the tutorial was for a different kind of Chromebook. Which BIOS do you have?

• @adam-worth Heh… if you were near here I’d do it for you - I even have my tools out right now, because I’m expecting delivery of a new computer today and will be moving my 120GB M.2 from the Chromebook to it before I boot it up. For what it’s worth, they’re actually pretty easy to work in - not any more difficult than replacing a video card in a desktop computer, and Acer is pretty good at designing their laptops to be very workable, and to minimize the amount of soldered on components. They also make a point of using standard Phillips screws for everything, and captive screws where possible, without any of the oddball types you find in Apple products or some other manufacturers.

I wouldn’t do it if you aren’t comfortable though.

• @taraf said in Wipe ChromeOS & Install Antergos KDE?:

@adam-worth Heh… if you were near here I’d do it for you - I even have my tools out right now, because I’m expecting delivery of a new computer today and will be moving my 120GB M.2 from the Chromebook to it before I boot it up. For what it’s worth, they’re actually pretty easy to work in - not any more difficult than replacing a video card in a desktop computer, and Acer is pretty good at designing their laptops to be very workable, and to minimize the amount of soldered on components. They also make a point of using standard Phillips screws for everything, and captive screws where possible, without any of the oddball types you find in Apple products or some other manufacturers.

I wouldn’t do it if you aren’t comfortable though.

I appreciate the offer. I’m still looking around for options, though. “Never give up! Never surrender!” 😆

kde171 chromeos1 wipe1 Posts 13Views 663
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.