• persistent 'unknown filesystem' error in grub

I dual boot Antergos and windows 10. After Windows updated I rebooted to the grub rescue screen ‘unkown filesystem’.

I was able to boot my machine using these commands.

>set boot=(hd1,gpt5)
    >set prefix=(hd1,gpt5)/boot/grub
    >insmod normal
    >normal

At this point I’m presented with the normal grub boot options.

After booting and logging in, I restarted but the ‘unknown filesystem’ error persisted.

I then attempted to reinstall/update grub with these commands. After again booting in rescue mode and logging in.

# sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp --bootloader-id=GRUB --removeable
    # sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Both commands appeared to finish properly. But I still see the ‘unknown filesystem’ error.

I have my Linux in three partitions.
    /dev/sda1 /efi
    dev/sda4 /home
    dev/sda5 /root

When I boot all partitions mount properly including the efi partition.

I double checked / root UUID in grub.cfg against /etc/fstab and it matches.

Any suggestions on what might cause this persistent ‘unknown filesystem’ error in grub?

• grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Antergos-grub

or do you setup something like this?
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_System_Partition#Alternative_mount_points

• @broiniac
    Could you show us the output of commands:

lsblk -fm
    fdisk -l
    blkid
    lspci

There’s a lot of output, but don’t worry, forum software can handle it. ;)

• And please add ‘sudo’ in front of the second and third command! :)

• @joekamprad I used your install command without the --removable option and that seems to have fixed the problems. I also found unused files that weren’t being update and removed them from :

/boot/efi/EFI/Boot # this contained bootx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/antergos_grub # contained grubx64.efi

The grubx64.efi wasn’t being updated. It may have been the --removable option that was causing the problems for me.

Thanks for the help.

grub111 booting problem19 Posts 5Views 727
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.