• Dual boot install problems

@rpallen
    The copying stuff you said was correct, that’s what I meant.

But I think it is better to restore the efi files as they were, since efibootmgr shows antergos_grub.

So please restore files back as they were, and show the output of efibootmgr
    again.

Then we can change the boot order.

• @rpallen
    :) That what I was thinking about. Restore files first and reorder with efibootmgr, your list seems ok.

• Seems that I’m too slow at writing… ;)

• OK, I’ll restore the files to the way they were and then run the command to re-order the boot order, but I think I’ll switch the first two from what I suggested so that a usb will be run before the antergos grub.

I’ll be back.

• OK, lets see what comes out of it! :)

• I changed the files back and I did this.

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo efibootmgr -o 2001,0000,0002,2002
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 2001,0000,0002,2002
    Boot0000* antergos_grub
    Boot0001* USB HDD: Generic Flash Disk
    Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network

Now I`ll reboot let you know what happens

• I think you should make the order starting with the number of antergos_grub…

• Well, I did it with the order I said and it still didn`t work. It still booted to Windows. I can try antergos-grub first, but I doubt it will matter. Im back in the live usb and I ran efibootmgr again and it shows the boot order reverted back to what it was before I made the changes.

• Maybe this gives some new ideas: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224970

I must go now, probably come back tomorrow. :)

• OK and thanks for your help!

• When you come back, let me know if you want me to try the different boot order from what I actually used. (the boot order in the post before you said No!)

• The only way I managed to get past a similar issue was to boot from the live Antergos USB, format all Linux partitions, not touching /boot and /boot/efi and reinstall Antergos. I’ve tried all sorts of uefi recovery solutions first, but nothing worked. Not saying you will not eventually solve it (as I was trying it myself with just google).

Also something to keep in mind, on my Laptop, the system would only boot from the USB2 port, not from the other ports. Also, when using a mouse on USB3 port and a USB stick, one or the other would stop working. These are just some things I’ve stumbled upon that might, or might not apply yo your case.

What I would do in your case is to disable legacy and UEFI mode and keep just the UEFI mode in BIOS. You don’t want a mix of those, rather aim for a full UEFI system. It will simplify things in the long run and give you better performance.

• Thanks for joining in, Nate.

First, my laptop has 3 usb ports, one on the right side and two on the back. They are all labeled with the same symbol engraved below them and I have no idea which are USB2 and which are USB3, nor do I know how to find out.

You lost me in your last paragraph. As far as I can tell, I’m in UEFI boot mode only. I just looked at the BIOS, and in the Boot mode selector there are 2 options, UEFI and legacy. I don’t see any way to have both.

• @rpallen in my bios there was a “Legacy and UEFI” entry, allowing any of them to be booted (citing from memory here). The mixed mode I was advising against.

USB ports are usually blue (the plastic inside the port is blue instead of the customary white or black).
    See here: http://www.euask.com/topic/3768-How-to-tell-USB-20-from-USB-30-ports

• Strange. I don`t have that legacy and uefi option.

Thanks for the info on the ports. On the back one is blue and one is black. I can`t see the one on the side now beause thats where my Antergos live usb is. But thanks again for the info.

• BTW, manuel. I did look at that link you suggested and it seemed VERY complex and may be over my head.

• @rpallen
    Hello again!
    Currently I’d try these:

1. Change boot order with efibootmgr so that antergos_grub is the first. Could you show the current situation by running efibootmgr before making the changes? Then set the number of antergos_grub as the first in the list of numbers, and reboot.
    2. If that doesn’t help, then, as in the link, you could reinstall Antergos and select systemd-boot instead of grub. But unfortunately I’m not familiar with systemd-boot at all, so hopefully someone else with experience with it could help in case of any issues.

As said before, Arch wiki and forums may have a solution for your machine. I think the problem is quite machine and model dependent.

• Here is the current boot order from efibootmgr. But you may recall that I said yesterday that when I reboot it reverts back to the original boot order, which is what the order below is.

[[email protected] ~]$ efibootmgr
    BootCurrent: 0002
    BootOrder: 2001,0001,2002,2003
    Boot0000* antergos_grub_ug5j
    Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0002* USB HDD: Generic Flash Disk
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network

OK, I just ran-which has antergos first:

sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,2001,0002,2002

and the result is:

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,2001,0002,2002
    BootOrder: 0000,2001,0002,2002
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network

I`ll reboot now and see what happens. I expect it will still boot to Windows and when I rune efibootmgr again, the boot order will have reverted back. Here goes!

• As I expected, it booted to Windows and when I ran efibootmgr just now it showed that the boot order had reverted to the original.

[[email protected] ~]$ efibootmgr
    BootOrder: 2001,0001,2002,2003
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network

And boot order in the BIOS is USB, HDD thenWindows boot manager.

boot320 dual40 Posts 91Views 3772
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.