• Installing Openbox

I have installed Cinnamon and Xfce.

I want to understand how to install Openbox into this setup.
    When I do “pacman -S openbox” it logs into a plain vanilla setup where none of the menu items work!.

How do I get the “Antergos” Openbox install?

• I have installed Cinnamon and Xfce.

I want to understand how to install Openbox into this setup.
    When I do “pacman -S openbox” it logs into a plain vanilla setup where none of the menu items work!.

How do I get the “Antergos” Openbox install?

• you might need to do a full install. installing openbox is just one part of it. you need all the config files to have a nice setup or do them from scratch on your own.

openbox is much different from cinnamon or xfce.

or you could load it up in a virtualbox and try it out there.

• Installing Cinnamon on a fresh install worked fine. Then installing Xfce from within that setup also went through smoothly. So I am hoping there is a way I can install Openbox without having to do a fresh install.

I am ok to go through the steps necessary to install the necessary apps and config files.

• im not sure if the config files for the antergos openbox are posted on here. some distros will post them.

if dont have much experience with openbox i would highly suggest you try it in a virtualbox or do the fresh install.

the antergos openbox has a nice setup.

• Hi,

You can find the configuration files for Openbox on our github:

[http://github.com/Antergos][0]">[http://github.com/Antergos][1]

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://github.com/Antergos

• oh nice! those are handy to have around.

• since i’m a noob and specially with openbox, were exactly should i drop the files in github? home folder?

• @quimkaos: Yep, your home.

Be careful, the config directory in github is your .config directory (with the starting dot) in your home dir.
    Cheers!

• just some questions:
    will this conflict with any setup i already have for gnome 3?
    i see a chromium folder in config folder, will this override any of my current settings?
    etc folder, gtkrc-2.o and xinitrc are to be place under ~/ ?

• Hi,

will this conflict with any setup i already have for gnome 3?
    i see a chromium folder in config folder, will this override any of my current settings?

I don’t think so, and absolutely yes. In fact, you should only copy those files without overwritting anything you already have. So be careful.

etc folder, gtkrc-2.o and xinitrc are to be place under ~/ ?[/quote:lp0rdywz]

You can copy the etc files to your /etc (again, be careful to not overwrite anything)
    the gtkrc-2.0 goes into your home, but again you have to add a dot in front of it, so it should be .gtkrc-2.0 (again, if you already have the file, do not overwrite it, or it will overwrite your gtk settings).

You can ignore the xinitrc file.

Cheers!

• gràcies Karasu

Posts 12Views 4351