• Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.

Hi,

I removed today K3B because I thought that I would never burn a CD and now pretty much the whole plasma DE is marked as orphans:

I run sudo pacman -Qtdq

and I got this as output:

ark
    aspell-en
    cdrdao
    clementine
    dolphin-plugins
    dvd+rw-tools
    gwenview
    js
    kate
    kcalc
    kde-gtk-config
    kde-servicemenus-rootactions
    kdesudo
    kfaenza-icon-theme
    kfind
    kinfocenter
    kopete
    kscreen
    kwallet-pam
    kwayland-integration
    kwrited
    libburn
    libkcddb
    nm-connection-editor
    okular
    oxygen
    pamac-tray-appindicator
    plasma-desktop
    plasma-pa
    qtcurve-gtk2
    qtcurve-kde
    qtcurve-qt4
    spectacle
    sweeper
    transmission-qt
    user-manager
    vlc
    xdg-user-dirs

Which pretty much seems to me the whole Plasma DE.

I removed K3B using the PAMAC and luckily I do not have selected the option to removed all unnecessary dependencies 🙂

Thanks a lot for the help. Cheers

• @jhuesos
    What might happen if you reinstall k3b?
    And why did you want to remove it? Do you have problems with disk space?

Please report issues including all details! ;-)
    Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL here.

• @jhuesos said in Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.:

Quité hoy K3B porque pensé que nunca grabaría un CD

Reinstall it or for another time, just do the best
    sudo pacman -Rdd k3b

• @manuel said in Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.:

@jhuesos
    What might happen if you reinstall k3b?

I tried that, no difference, I still see the same list of orphans 😞

• @jhuesos No meta package or package group holding this packages together…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @joekamprad so what do you suggest? I could go an one by one install all of them so they will be marked as manually installed and they won’t be orphans… but it does not seem like the best solution

• @jhuesos some times ago Antergos development start installing DE’S with meta packages, this is a empty package with only dependencies inside:

antergos-kde-meta is the one you may uninstalled to get rid of clementine… so all this packages are not longer marked as a dependency…

reinstall this will be the solution or install arch package group for kde/plasma (or create your own meta package)
    or what you say, install all explicitzly, you can do this with a packagelist also as far as i know:

Creating packages lists:

pacman -Qqen > packages-repository.txt
    pacman -Qqem > packages-AUR.txt

restore this:

pacman --needed -S - < packages-repository.txt

cat packages-AUR.txt | xargs yaourt -S --needed --noconfirm

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• Thanks, I did not notice but apparently I did remove antergos-kde-meta.

After installing it again, no orphans anymore. The only problem is that I can’t remove K3B because it depends on that meta package, but that is a minor problem in comparison.

Many thanks!

• @jhuesos said in Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.:

The only problem is that I can’t remove K3B because it depends on that meta package, but that is a minor problem in comparison.

sudo pacman -Rdd k3b

• @manuel said in Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.:

I also wanted to remove k3b along with other stuff, and I’m happy I found this thread. For example, I don’t have any problems with disk space (antergos is on 240 GB SSD), but I just don’t want any unwanted stuff on my system. Personally, I consider any app (which comes pre-installed and I have no plans to use it) as unwanted.

So, if I understand right, it’s better not to remove k3b, as well as other stuff like Okulus, QT development apps (which I’ll never use), etc?

• @toxpal said in Removed k3b. Now the whole plasma DE is marked as orphan.:

So, if I understand right, it’s better not to remove k3b, as well as other stuff like Okulus, QT development apps (which I’ll never use), etc?

Depends. This seems to be a matter of taste and personal way of working. I can well understand why people want to remove unneeded packages. Those apps can sometimes get in your way and be quite annoying. And if running a distro on a machine with very low resources, it is a must to get rid of unneeded stuff.

On the other hand, software dependencies are quite a challenge to implement in a way that satisfies all. And if a distro provides at install only a minimal set of apps, many users may be annoyed with that, too.

So I’ve come to the conclusion (a compromise actually) that I will not remove unneeded packages unless I have a compelling reason to do so, like short of disk space, or a package does not work as I’d like it to work (and a replacement app is available), or some other good reason. That decision simply saves my time and nerves. 😉

Please report issues including all details! ;-)
    Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL here.

plasma39 removed5 whole3 k3b2 Posts 11Views 502
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.