• Windows 10 Dual-Boot Users - Am I The Only One Who Does This?

Hello Everyone,

This is more of a ‘fun’ post for discussion purposes, and not an actual issue / problem with anything with my current dual-boot setup (Antergos + Windows 10).

For those that dual-boot (with Windows 10 or any other OS) please let me know if you have done this before or currently doing something similar:

Even though I primarily use Antergos daily and for 90% of my tasks, I find myself once or twice a month booting into Windows 10 to make sure I update everything accordingly. I run all the “Windows Updates” and make sure a few of my applications + drivers are all updated to the latest and greatest versions. I am not sure why I do this. Maybe I am OCD, and I want to make sure my Windows 10 partition is up-to-date, even though I hardly use it for anything, and I just want to be ‘secure’ if Microsoft pushes our any critical fixes.

Am I OCD? Or does anyone else do this on your dual-boot system to make sure your NON-Linux OS is working and updated accordingly?

Thanks,
    Asif

• I swear i will give up…

YES i do as this is the only way to get less hard times, if accidently needing to do stuff under Windows!
    But i think of installing it to VM …

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• Same here. W10 makes me want to kill my (innocent) computer every time I have to use it and it shouts about updates. I actually ended up installing it on a china laptop I have that is always on instead. I only have it for xencenter for a xenserver I have. It’s a shame that there’s no proper Linux client.

• My girlfriend has a months wort of warranty left on her laptop, so I still got a fallback, sort of.

After fiddling about with vanilla Arch Linux for a while and subsequently, as a Linux noob (more or less), experimented the hell out of my computer and got it to crash a couple of times. As I got a life, and other things that needs to be done, I tried out a few Arch installers, and finally found Antergos, and happily made the final transition from W10 a few months ago.

I’m looking forward to install Atergos on my gf’s lap top as well, as W10 tends to get me an upset stomach.

• I do game programming in Gideros and unfortunately, it doesn’t work adequately in Wine, so I have to use Windows. I wish there was an IDE for the Lua programming language that is as good as Gideros (or at least close) that I could run on Linux. I’ve used Löve on Linux, but to me, Gideros is much better.

The thing I hate most about Windows is the arrogance that is apparent in the way they do updates. I really hate it when I’m done and want to shut the machine down and it decides it’s going to do an update. It just starts doing the update without giving me a choice of whether or not to do it at that time. The arrogant programmers have no compunction about telling me when I have to do a damn update and it doesn’t tell me how long it will take or give me any idea how it is progressing. I’m just a simpleton user and I’m not entitled to that information. If it takes 15 or 20 minutes (like it did yesterday), that’s just too bad for me. It’s no skin off the Windows programmers’ noses if I have to sit around with my thumb up my butt waiting for there OS to do its thing.

• @rpallen
    Don’t know much about Lua IDEs, but how about Eclipse with ldt plugin? Just noticed ldt is available in AUR.

A tool for sending logs: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10586/eat-logs
    Install eat: wget -q https://github.com/manuel-192/eat/raw/master/PKGBUILD && makepkg -sic

• I also installed Windows 10 and Antergos as a dual boot. The reason is relatively simple: I haven’t got all games running with Wine yet and as long as that’s the case Windows is my gaming OS 😉

• I had Win 10 Dual Boot with Linux for years.
    But moved on as this big creators Update came along and formatted my HDD by deleting every EXT4 Partition it could find and even destroyed it’s own NTFS File System. 😤 😤

I have not installed a Windows Operating ever since. Even if I miss some of my Steam Games I am unable to Play anymore, it is not worth risking my Computer.

Hopefully Wine and Play on Linux get somewhat usable sometime in the next 10 years…

• @severus said in Windows 10 Dual-Boot Users - Am I The Only One Who Does This?:

I had Win 10 Dual Boot with Linux for years.
    But moved on as this big creators Update came along and formatted my HDD by deleting every EXT4 Partition it could find and even destroyed it’s own NTFS File System. 😤 😤

I have not installed a Windows Operating ever since. Even if I miss some of my Steam Games I am unable to Play anymore, it is not worth risking my Computer.

Hopefully Wine and Play on Linux get somewhat usable sometime in the next 10 years…

But Micro$oft loves Linux, does it not???

I understand some people need to use MS$OS because of that game programming and other software, but I would get another machine specific for MS$OS.

I too have to admin a few MS$OS, desktop and server, because some have software that runs only on that OS. But for me no MS$OS anymore. It’s over.

I have other situations on clients and friends, that need a MS$OS. They run a business where some hardware only has MS$OS drivers. And software is for that OS too.

Those are the ones I cannot remove MS$OS’s but that’s ok with me. Almost forgot that I have a W10 machine on my network, for my 16 yo play specific games for MS$OS. So that too will be kinda hard to remove. Damn it!

windows58 dual-boot13 Posts 9Views 354
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.