• Battery issues?

I recently picked up a HP Elitebook 745 G2 for on the go usage.

I installed Antergos, of course, however there’s an issue.
    I get around ~2 hrs usage if that, this is even with the new battery I purchased for it.

When charging it gets to about 25%, says “8 hours remaining” or something along those lines.
    I would expect about 8 hours battery life from it as its a new battery, and linux of course.

Anyways, it jumps from 25% to full and then when I disconnect the charger it says ~2 hours remaining.

Really not sure why this is, not sure if there’s any drivers I should get?

Please help me out, I need longer battery life for when I go away next week.

• Adam.
  • @judd said in Battery issues?:

Install yaourt -S tlp

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

Alright, I have done this and rebooted.
    Would you recommend draining the battery and recharging it to full so that it knows how much it can store etc or should it just work right away?

• Okay so I ran this with sudo tlp start and let it do its thing and let my laptop idle.
    My battery drained from 100% to 0% within 20 minutes. I think this is just a Linux issue rather than a battery issue. I’m going to liveboot ubuntu and see what its like on there.

• @aderm
    Maybe a kernel change could help? And the display is also a big battery consumer…

Anyway, if you have a lithium-ion battery, you should avoid wearing it to 0%. For those kind of batteries the recommendation is to keep it always roughly between 50-80%.
    And if you store (take it out of your machine) the battery for a long time (like months or more), it is not advised to change it to 100% before storing, but around 50%.

• And the graphics card may consume a lot of power…

• @manuel said in Battery issues?:

@aderm
    Maybe a kernel change could help? And the display is also a big battery consumer…

Anyway, if you have a lithium-ion battery, you should avoid wearing it to 0%. For those kind of batteries the recommendation is to keep it always roughly between 50-80%.
    And if you store (take it out of your machine) the battery for a long time (like months or more), it is not advised to change it to 100% before storing, but around 50%.

I thought that at first, I was running the latest kernel so I tried to switch to the LTS kernel which went fine, but didn’t seem to change anything.

It seems to be an Antergos issue, so I’m installing vanilla arch right now. I’ll close this thread but edit the post for anyone who happens to stumble across it in the future.

• @aderm
    OK. But if you find any useful information, please report them here too. It would be very useful to know if Antergos has problems with that machine model. :)

And as you probably know, Arch wiki often has useful articles about the compatibility with various machines.

issues85 battery19 Posts 9Views 664
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.