• Unable to boot after fresh install

Thanks for coming again,

I did the steps again and I noticed this error in grub-mkconfig, not sure if the issue was there in previous attempts

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo su
    [[email protected] antergos]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt
    [[email protected] antergos]# mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
    [[email protected] antergos]# mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
    [[email protected] antergos]# arch-chroot /mnt
    [[email protected] /]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/Antergos-Default/theme.txt
    Found Intel Microcode image
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    Found fallback initramfs image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
    Found fallback initramfs image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
      WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
    grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
    done

• @ahassoun
    Now it is much better than before!

That warning might not be a problem, so can you boot now?

If not, then, if I remember correctly, you could solve the warning by reinstalling linux and linux-lts. That can be done when you are in chroot mode with command:

pacman -S linux linux-lts

Then you could try that grub-mkconfig again (still in chroot mode).
    And reboot.

• Wow!

Despite this being the toughest and longest installation of Linux I ever had,

But you guys are amazing!

It boots now and I am sending this from inside the real Antergos not the Live CD :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your time and support.

Now I have 4 ‘duplicates’ entries for grub-bootloader, (I was changing the ID each time) and I want to remove the old ones and rename the correct one. Any hints?

• @ahassoun
    Do you mean the menu entries on the screen right after boot?

They probably are there because you used different IDs, as you assumed.
    I think it is safe to just delete the “IDs”, as they are simply directories in the EFI partition.

So, check the contents of the EFI partition:

ls -l /boot/efi/EFI

(or mount it first if not mounted; now you don’t use any chroot anymore!)
    and there you should have many directories with the IDs you gave, probably something related to antergos.
    You can delete the other antergos-related directories from /boot/efi/EFI, but leave the one you are using.
    But be careful, delete only the ones you are quite sure are not needed anymore.

And note, there are also Windows efi files, don’t delete them by accident! (Only on purpose! ;) )

• Oh, didn’t notice about the renaming part.

You could run grub-install again using the ID you want, and delete other antergos-related IDs from the place I wrote previously.

It might be possible just to rename one of the directories, but I’ve never tried that so I’m not sure if it works.

But now when you know how to do all things, it should not be a disaster to experiment a bit (but probably not too much for now… ;) )

• One more (slightly advanced) thing. But don’t do it if you are already happy with the results.

If you want to experiment with the boot menu entries, I’d recommend writing new menu entries into file /boot/grub/custom.cfg.
    Here’s some more info and examples of it:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9039/grub-boot-examples-custom-cfg

You can write boot menu entries as you wish. It is not hard, but some smallish learning curve is expected.

Cheers! :)

• @ahassoun now you reached the next level on linux ;)
    Welcome aboard!

• Sorry for the late reply, I was exploring the new system.

Thanks for the info about grub, I will come back to this later. I have other more exciting things to do now.

Thanks again everyone!

boot319 unable76 fresh43 Posts 28Views 2174
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.