• I am completely unable to connect to a network

Antergos is my favorite Linux distribution of all time. Recently however I got a new laptop (the old one I’m writing this on is falling apart) and decided to install Antergos on it. Well it turns out that the new laptop (a Hewlett-Packard 15-bs013dx notebook) doesn’t seem to like Linux all that much as not only was the Antergos minimal ISO unable to connect to wireless, Netrunner Core wasn’t able to either pre or post-install.

Additionally, a direct connection to the router via USB was unsuccessful too (I don’t have Ethernet cables). The card is Realtek brand but I don’t have the version for it at this moment. Information of note is that typing in iwconfig produces two entries, both of which state “no wireless extension available”.

Supposedly there’s a fix, but it depends on the OS already being installed. Cinchi can’t install to the hard drive in the first place because I can’t connect. So it’s a chicken and egg problem.

Is there some way to solve this problem or am I doomed to using something besides Antergos?

• @wafffanatic
    Can’t remember if it is possible or not with cnchi, but can’t you use router’s (or cellular phone’s tethered) wifi signal to get a connection? Or cellular phone’s USB tethering?

• @wafffanatic

Android: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android_tethering
    iPhone: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPhone_tethering

Be aware that this can use a lot of data, but can be useful for testing to see if your hardware is working.

• @wafffanatic said in I am completely unable to connect to a network:

Hewlett-Packard 15-bs013dx notebook

From the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493257

Description
    Spare part number
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro)
    901229-855
    Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11 bgn 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter
    927230-855
    Realtek RTL 8188EE 802.11 bgn 1x1 WiFi Adapter
    927235-855
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter
    863934-855

• @ssspacez said in I am completely unable to connect to a network:

15-bs013dx

They are saying on this solved thread that you have to do something with the kernel. But that solution is for Ubuntu, for Arch based you need different instructions, let’s wait to see if anyone know how to solve this.

@wafffanatic

Android: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android_tethering
    iPhone: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPhone_tethering

Be aware that this can use a lot of data, but can be useful for testing to see if your hardware is working.

I tried the tethering method earlier today with my Android phone. I didn’t have any luck the first time as the phone kept giving me grief about members list access or something like that. Though I had tried tethering the phone before I turned on the laptop, so maybe I should try doing it after the system has booted up.

• This reminds when I tried to install Debian, Debian hates wifi because of proprietary firmware, I had to use a wired connection and install the wifi drivers manually. If everything is failing buy that ethernet cable, it’s cheap and you find them at PC/hardware stores, maybe at malls, stores that sell electronics and smartphone accessories.

Plug the cable, install and fix the drivers/firmware/kernel issues, sometimes this is the best solution. It’s always good to have a ethernet cable around for emergencies.

• If you have a smart phone, USB tie it up and use it for your Internet connection. It will appear as a wired network in Arch, all you need to do is run dhcpcd.
    The phone will share any wireless connection you are using; either WiFi or cellular data. If you are using cellular data, observe the data limits. After you get to the installation of your wireless controllers and user space tools, you can switch to the internal WiFi.

• 0_1523337622817_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-04-10 07-18-48.png

needs only to connect youzr smartphone to you local wireless internet router, plug in to computer via USB and enable USB-thethering, then it will show up under network settings inside live Environment

This reminds when I tried to install Debian, Debian hates wifi because of proprietary firmware, I had to use a wired connection and install the wifi drivers manually. If everything is failing buy that ethernet cable, it’s cheap and you find them at PC/hardware stores, maybe at malls, stores that sell electronics and smartphone accessories.

Plug the cable, install and fix the drivers/firmware/kernel issues, sometimes this is the best solution. It’s always good to have a ethernet cable around for emergencies.

Well, it’s a funny story. I don’t have money or a job and I’m currently reliant on my parents for financial support. This is something I’m trying to change, but it’s slow going so far. I’d ask for an ethernet cable but after the laptop buy I can’t get anything else at the moment.

It seems I’ll have to wait until the home financial situation is better or until I can make some money of my own.

So I haven’t gotten the problem sorted out yet, but it might be at some indefinite point in the future. I’m not sure if I should mark this thread solved or delete it. 😕

• By cheap I mean it’s probably like $5 or less, it’s really cheap, you don’t need a big cable, it’s a notebook so sit close to the router and plug it, solve the problem and disconnect. Borrow from a friend, relative, or some place, like 1 meter of cable is enough, even a very old used cable works, maybe you can get one for free somewhere too.

• @ssspacez Okay. I’ll give it a go!

• The Ethernet cable was a no go. But I installed the driver by transferring it over a USB thumb drive, running make and rebooting. WiFi worked fine after that!

wifi152 network15 wired8 hewlett packard2 Posts 13Views 1763
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.