• Cnchi Advanced Options

What is this thread
    The goal is to create an Advanced section on Cnchi(the installer) windows to improve the installation process for beginners and to prevent them from having a bad experience when installing Antergos and avoid future problems for everyone.

Ideas

1 - First screen of ISO boot
    Switch the 2nd item with the 1st item to look like this:

• Install Antergos or use Antergos Live
    • Boot from hard disk (Advanced)
    • Non-graphical boot (Advanced)

alt text

This is to avoid confusion for beginners, being the 1st option is more intuitive.

2 - Desktop Environment selection
    Create a line of any other form of separation to look like this:

Advanced

• Openbox
    • Base

Also, put a link on each Desktop Environment window like “Learn more about GNOME” would help the user make the decision. It could be an offline wiki, online wiki or the official page of the Desktop Environment.

3 - Software selection
    Create an Advanced section like a line separating or something like that, write “Advanced” before the items, and put items like:

• AUR, Firewall, Vivaldi(it’s for power users), and other softwares considered advanced

alt text

4 - Antergos Minimal ISO
    Beginners should not install the Minimal ISO, they will have the impression that the distro is too limited(this may sound obvious but for a beginner it’s not).

So, the download page(https://antergos.com/try-it/) could have a warning saying that is not recommended for beginners.

More ideas are welcome.

• These ideas are not limited to improve the experience for beginners, more advanced options can be added focusing advanced users and developers, like adding the most common development tools in the(future) advanced section of software selection.

• Hi. Question here: What about adding an option to install without a bootloader such as Open Suse Leap or any other version of Open Suse has.
    This option is mainly used to install on a multiboot system where another system is already managing GRUB and would detect other systems, such as Antergos, and add it with Grub since that other system is already managing Grub.

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• In the future, i3wm could be added to the advanced section of Desktop Environment selection, looks like it’s very popular among advanced users and developers, I think they would love this.

• Hi,

There has been an antergos-iso testing branch for ages… (that will change that first screen when booting), and it also eases adding and/or modifing existing iso setups.

I will try to update master with that code this month.

1. Our DE list is growing and growing… so I like the idea of grouping them in two groups, one being advanced. Maybe instead of sorting them alphabetically we could add a separator to distinguish between them. I’ll think about it (or maybe an advanced checkbox that shows all of them).

I do not like the idea of adding links to the installer that much. If anyone wants to know what Gnome is he/she can search it on the Internet with a browser…

1. The advanced section is not ok as it is (we’ve known this for ages). But we haven’t found an easy way to fix it. Maybe adding an advanced switch would be the solution… I’ll think about this one.

2. This is an easy one, and I think it’s a good idea. I’ll add a warning asap. Somebody also mentioned to add some explanation of how to verify the iso (as Mint does). I’m not a fan of filling too much technical info in our website (and I think other devs agree).

Well, some things to add to my TODO list. Thanks!

• There’s an Advanced switch on Latte-dock configuration window, you click and more options show up, very simple and intuitive to use, it’s another alternative. Maybe a ON/OFF button like the ones on the software selection window could do the trick.

• @ssspacez said in Cnchi Advanced Options:

1 - First screen of ISO boot
    Switch the 2nd item with the 1st item to look like this:

Install Antergos or use Antergos Live
    Boot from hard disk (Advanced)

Booting an existing OS from the hard disk is a smart default choice.

It ensures a user to get into a working OS and computer in any case. Whether he knows or not which option to select, what key to press, how to proceed, or simply does nothing.

Switching to boot an existing OS by default was and remains a highly appreciated choice, made by Antergos devs two or three years ago. Thanks for that.

To say the truth, Antergos devs weren’t the first to make this smart choice. openSUSE installer boots an existing OS by default since 2012.

• Seems like Antergos 18.4 full ISO does not boot an existing OS from the hard disk. Discovering only now.

When the Boot from Hard Disk option is selected, it restarts Cnchi. Antergos live session initial screen and menu are presented again. It is repeated each time the Boot from Hard Disk option is selected.

The boot loader config probably doesn’t work as expected. Can not exclude an error with boot loader’s experiments on my side…

May be a problem for users unaware of other ways to boot a computer.

• These are good ideas, since for a newcomer some of the current cnchi selections might be a bit misleading. Of course experienced users can manage nearly anything, but we should be thinking of users with all experience levels.

So let’s look at some more ideas.

First page

When thinking about the install process for a newcomer, the first page that comes in front of you is the most important one. If the first page is vague, misleading or plain ugly, then the first impression is negative, and it is challenging to change that impression later. That’s why the first page should be as good (simple and precise) as possible.

Please note that after the installation process, the user is probably very keen on booting to the installed system, not the installer again.

So I suggest that the first page has only two selections like below.

1. Start the Antergos installer
    2. Start using the installed Antergos

In order to help the impatient user, the default selection on this first page should be:

• 1, if an Antergos installation is not detected on any hard disks
    • 2, if an Antergos installation is detected on any hard disk

The next page could then have more details.
    For example, if installing, the second page can have more install options.

UEFI or BIOS legacy boot

One big source of problems for newcomers (and sometimes others, too) is trying to install using the wrong boot mode.
    For example, if the system is already using BIOS boot, then Antergos installer should not boot (nor install Antergos) in UEFI mode (unless the user knows exactly what to do).

At minimum, user should get a big warning when

• booting the installer in wrong boot mode
    • trying to install Antergos in wrong mode

Preferably the installer should not allow booting in the wrong boot mode.

Maybe some kind of Advanced page could be offered if user truly wants to boot/install using another boot mode (e.g. for reinstalling everything)?

Please report issues including all details! ;-)
    Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL here.

• One more thing.

Cnchi error codes

I’m not aware of any place where the Cnchi error codes and their meanings are listed.
    They should be clearly listed somewhere. Otherwise there is no sense printing out the codes when Cnchi install fails. So far I haven’t seen anyone to know about the codes nor their meanings.
    And failures seems to occur strangely often, although I suspect a poor network connection or poorly working mirror are often the main reasons.

and show the URL here.

• @manuel said in Cnchi Advanced Options:

One more thing.
    Cnchi error codes

A simple post, which in simple words talks about the long-lasted problem with mystical Cnchi error codes.

What a pleasure to read it.

• Hi!

I liked the ideas!
    Personally i think the boot order should be
    1- Run Antergos iso
    2- Boot HD/SSD

About cnchi errors: agreed! maybe redirect the user to a page or give an option like “Report error to developers”, then the installer could send the error code automatically (some people may suspect of lack of privacy i know)

Also liking the advanced buttoms for installing DEs and site’s download warning for minimum iso.

Cheers!

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @manuel said in Cnchi Advanced Options:

Cnchi error codes
    I’m not aware of any place where the Cnchi error codes and their meanings are listed.
    They should be clearly listed somewhere. Otherwise there is no sense printing out the codes when Cnchi install fails. So far I haven’t seen anyone to know about the codes nor their meanings.

Very good point, I think exactly the same as you !

Could someone explain it ?

Thank you.-

• @judd

These error windows are frustrating, maybe a link to a page where they are all listed might help.

For those that have never seen one, they look like this image:

https://i.imgur.com/ZiGsFkN.png

It happened with me a few days ago trying to install Antergos Minimal 18.4 Xfce with VirtualBox.

• @ssspacez said in Cnchi Advanced Options:

It happened with me a few days ago trying to install Antergos Minimal

Yes of course, it has happened to me many times and not with a virtual box, in short, it is very annoying and almost always the problem was the mirrors …

• Hi,

Just a clarification. It’s not that the error code you see has a meaning by itself. It’s just an internal reference.

Logs ARE uploaded. We use bugsnag (https://www.bugsnag.com).

So each log line is written to /tmp/cnchi.log and also sended to bugsnag.

There is no personal info in the logs, so there should be nothing to worry about.

If we get your error code we can search your log in bugsnag and try to see what’s wrong.

Of course, if you ever get a 0 as an error code something bad has happened (no connection to bugsnag?).

• @karasu but not possible for us at the forum to get access to this logs?
    Would make it easy to help, as error say something like “provide this number” and users will do this mostly here at the forum.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• @karasu said in Cnchi Advanced Options:

If we get your error code we can search your log in bugsnag and try to see what’s wrong.

How can you get the “error code”? Is this forum the only way @developers get to see it? Sounds quite arbitrary and slow.

I suppose what @joekamprad suggested would really make things a bit easier and faster for helping people with problems, and potentially reduce the workload of the @developers.
    On the other hand, in case of any potential privacy issues, this may not be easy to achieve.

and show the URL here.

• cnchi log includes username hostname and UUIDS …

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• I don’t know about you, but I think that uploading logs to third-parties without telling the user is creepy.

cnchi149 advanced2 Posts 31Views 1265
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.