• \[solved\] Font Rendering


    I am noticing some websites look somewhat out of whack (smaller fonts, tighter fonts). Is there some kind of setting for Antergos to get websites to render correctly? Perhaps a package needs to be installed?

    To clarify, I am using Cinnamon and chose the same settings used for Cinnamon with Ubuntu. However, nothing really has changed regarding font rendering. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

  • I am noticing some websites look somewhat out of whack (smaller fonts, tighter fonts). Is there some kind of setting for Antergos to get websites to render correctly? Perhaps a package needs to be installed?

    To clarify, I am using Cinnamon and chose the same settings used for Cinnamon with Ubuntu. However, nothing really has changed regarding font rendering. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

  • Hello, parkslope, two months ago since I first installed “Antergos-Gnome”, now i am in kde, and the rendering in firefox was very bad. Now, the things have changed quite-antergos team has done a great job in this regard ( at least in kde looks perfect). If you’re not happy with your font rendering can try [b:2jkzmz5n]infinality-bundle[/b:2jkzmz5n]:

    [https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098][1]

    When I installed antergos (gnome) was the first thing I did …

    That’s how bad it looked when you first install my antergos time (02/05/2014)…

    [[img:2jkzmz5n]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/hectorsales/Capturadepantallade2014-05-02203717_zpsc2d59b33.png[/img:2jkzmz5n][/url:2jkzmz5n]

    Now the things have changed quite least in kde looks great …

    Best Regards.][2]

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098
    [2]: http://s273.photobucket.com/user/hectorsales/media/Capturadepantallade2014-05-02203717_zpsc2d59b33.png.html:2jkzmz5n

  • @“hector”:l5bqku10 said:

    Hello, parkslope, two months ago since I first installed “Antergos-Gnome”, now i am in kde, and the rendering in firefox was very bad. Now, the things have changed quite-antergos team has done a great job in this regard ( at least in kde looks perfect). If you’re not happy with your font rendering can try [b:l5bqku10]infinality-bundle[/b:l5bqku10]:

    [https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098][1]

    When I installed antergos (gnome) was the first thing I did …

    That’s how bad it looked when you first install my antergos time (02/05/2014)…

    [[img:l5bqku10]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/hectorsales/Capturadepantallade2014-05-02203717_zpsc2d59b33.png[/img:l5bqku10][/url:l5bqku10]

    Now the things have changed quite least in kde looks great …

    Best Regards.[/quote:l5bqku10]
    Interesting. You know I gave that a shot with Opensuse 13.1 kde and it made my system unstable. I’m not using Gnome but I’m not sure that matters. Thanks for the tip.][2]

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098
    [2]: http://s273.photobucket.com/user/hectorsales/media/Capturadepantallade2014-05-02203717_zpsc2d59b33.png.html:l5bqku10

  • @“parkslope”:30e6m9k0 said:

    I am noticing some websites look somewhat out of whack (smaller fonts, tighter fonts). Is there some kind of setting for Antergos to get websites to render correctly? [/quote:30e6m9k0]Would you mind posting a screenshot? Thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Dustin

  • @“lots.0.logs”:3dewqgb2 said:

    @“parkslope”:3dewqgb2 said:

    I am noticing some websites look somewhat out of whack (smaller fonts, tighter fonts). Is there some kind of setting for Antergos to get websites to render correctly? [/quote:3dewqgb2]Would you mind posting a screenshot? Thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:3dewqgb2]
    [url:3dewqgb2]http://www.nydailynews.com/[/url:3dewqgb2]

    I don’t think this will help as you will see how this website is rendered on your computer.

  • No, no…take a screen shot of the webpage while its open on your system. Press Print Screen button and the image will be saved somewhere in your /home dir most likely in ~/Pictures.

    Cheers!

  • @“lots.0.logs”:2q14syyl said:

    No, no…take a screen shot of the webpage while its open on your system. Press Print Screen button and the image will be saved somewhere in your /home dir most likely in ~/Pictures.

    Cheers![/quote:2q14syyl]

    I can’t believe I forgot that, its been that long.

    Edit:another one:

  • parkslope, in order to use the inline image attacments, you will have to have the image stored somewhere on the Web.

    If you do not have a Web server, or a photo album account (Photobucket, ImageShack, etc.), then you will need to upload the image as an attachment. See below/

    [img:o8j60fnt]http://mlepics.com/forumstuff/attach001.jpg[/img:o8j60fnt]

  • @“Mike”:26x1hcgw said:

    parkslope, in order to use the inline image attacments, you will have to have the image stored somewhere on the Web.

    If you do not have a Web server, or a photo album account (Photobucket, ImageShack, etc.), then you will need to upload the image as an attachment. See below/

    [img:26x1hcgw]http://mlepics.com/forumstuff/attach001.jpg[/img:26x1hcgw][/quote:26x1hcgw]
    Yup, I tried that initially but was told it was an invalid file name. Same thing now. The file is saved as a .png file not a .jpg file.

  • Hmm…I don’t find that it looks bad. Where exactly should I be looking?

  • @“lots.0.logs”:o7ozop5p said:

    Hmm…I don’t find that it looks bad. Where exactly should I be looking?
    The fonts are tighter. It doesn’t look terrible, but not great either. They render differently in Ubuntu, Chakra and Win 7.

    Let me try this another way. What font packages should I install or you suggest I install?

    Thanks!

    Edit; Come to think of it, I installed another DE in Ubuntu which fixed the font rendering issue in Cinnamon. Which leads me to the question, how do I install another DE in Antergos without hosing my system? I suspect that will deal with my issue. Maybe.

  • Do you have Windows installed? If so you can mount your C: drive and copy the fonts from C:/Windows/fonts over to /usr/share/fonts/TTF . You’ll want to clwar your font cache after that:

    sudo fc-cache -vf
    

    Other than that I recommend reviewing the info available here: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts][1]

    Also you may want to install ttf-google-fonts

    Hope it helps

    Best Regards,
    Dustin

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts

  • @“lots.0.logs”:3v908h8m said:

    Do you have Windows installed? If so you can mount your C: drive and copy the fonts from C:/Windows/fonts over to /usr/share/fonts/TTF . You’ll want to clwar your font cache after that:

    sudo fc-cache -vf
    

    Other than that I recommend reviewing the info available here: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts][1]

    Also you may want to install ttf-google-fonts

    Hope it helps

    Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:3v908h8m]
    Well I’m replying from Chakra. I installed ttf-google-fonts and that helped a bit. I then thought long and hard if I should copy the fonts from Windows 7 and upgrade the fonts. I did do that, but first copied my fonts file to a different directory. I updated the cache as directed, rebooted and got all window fonts unreadable. I replaced the fonts directory with the copy I saved previously. Updated the cache and rebooted. All fonts are now in blocks and nothing will open.

    Further, I have no idea how to restore my system. Is there anyway to restore my system to its previous glory or do I need to start over?

    I delayed doing the Windows font thing as I was trying to remember if I hosed another system doing the same thing. Help…

    [0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fonts

  • Which directory did you copy the Windows fonts into? This is normally a trivial task without issues like you’ve experienced. Is copying the fonts the only thing you did. If you could, mount your Antergos Root from Chakra and post the output of :

    ls -laR /your-mount-point/usr/share/fonts
    
  • @“lots.0.logs”:bpflg7al said:

    Which directory did you copy the Windows fonts into? This is normally a trivial task without issues like you’ve experienced. Is copying the fonts the only thing you did. If you could, mount your Antergos Root from Chakra and post the output of :

    ls -laR /your-mount-point/usr/share/fonts
    

    It seemed simple as you suggested I copied the fonts from C:/Windows/fonts; installed those fonts to /usr/share/fonts/TTF and updated the cache by running sudo fc-cache -vf.

    I checked the fonts installed and noticed that the windows fonts were blocks so I rebooted.

    Same thing. Luckily I copied the original font file and installed back to /usr/share/fonts/ TTF. Updated the cache and rebooted. Now all fonts are blocks and nothing opens.

    By the way Chakra mounts other partitions automatically except the root file. I am not sure how to do that in Terminal. Could you give me a hint then I can give you the information you are looking for.

    Thanks for your help.

    Edit: I think the fonts file is gone as it does not seem to exist in /usr/share/fonts/TTF. That would explain why all fonts are blocks. Please tell me I didn’t hose my installation…

  • I restored my system from Chakra by creating a new fonts file and copying the TTF folder in the fonts directory. Phew…

  • Okay god, glad to hear that. When you copied the Windows fonts, you didn’t remove what was already in that folder did you? After a little digging I found that you dont have to copy them into that folder, they can go in there own folder. For example /usr/share/fonts/windows or something similar.

    Best Regards,
    Dustin

  • @“lots.0.logs”:rpooqd9x said:

    Okay god, glad to hear that. When you copied the Windows fonts, you didn’t remove what was already in that folder did you? After a little digging I found that you dont have to copy them into that folder, they can go in there own folder. For example /usr/share/fonts/windows or something similar.

    Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:rpooqd9x]
    Yeah I didn’t do that and actually couldn’t figure out how to fix it with Ubuntu 12.04. As well that ends well!

Posts 22Views 7691
Log in to reply