• Is Antergos Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu, Fedora?

[url:1jiql146]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=antergos_arch_perf&num=1[/url:1jiql146]

• It is faster for me. I had some video issues with fedora/gnome but if I switched to mate the issue went away. On ubuntu/gnome overview felt slow.

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• Linux distributions by a huge percentage are the same. Same core slightly modified for the needs of each distribution. Same system tools (GNU) and same applications. There are the following ways to distinguish Linux distributions in categories:

System management packages and package managers (these two are in dispute).
    Display server (most changes are made).
    System boot.
    Changes in filing system root directory.
    How to update repositories.
    Downstream software customization.

In order of priority.

Some maybe could add:

Preloaded software (applications, environmental managers, shell CLI).
    Level user account (standard, administrator, superuser).
    Software available for installation (software selection criteria).

These, and others which do not consider critical factors as easily parameterized.

Based on the above, one can distinguish the distributions into two major categories:

The ones based on Debian.
    The ones based on Red Hat.

And probably another category is one that contains distributions beyond the two categories above, such as the Arch and others.

For example, what is the difference between Ubuntu and Fedora;

First of all they have a different package management system (dpkg / rpm) and different preloaded front-end for each system, ie package managers (APT / YUM).
    They have different software versions in the repository.
    They have different installation (and when I say different, I mean in appearance, in practice and in effect it is quite the same).
    They have a different release cycle.
    To sum up, a user moving from one distribution to another, will encounter substantial differences only if these two distributions belong to different categories.
    Suppose that I know well to use the command line and the package management system of Debian. So if I switch from a Debian-based distribution to Fedora, then what actually changes? Again I know how to figure it out on the command line, I get information about my system and how to use basic tools (GNU), but I would not know how to install, remove or update software, because the management system packet is different. So the biggest change is the way it manages the packets. Once it islearned, all the rest is details, minor changes…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Subjectively, yes. Ubuntu-based Mint loads and works fast, Antergos has less applications built it, leaner distribution. Or is is because it’s Arch-based? Fedora 20 with Gnome takes forever to install and update, IMHE.

• I never tried Fedora, except from one local distribution which is fork of Fedora, but that time, we have no boot’s speed like today. I use Gnome on openSUSE. Anda I think it fast enough to boot, well it still bit heavier than KDE this early year. But now they use the same Gnome 3.14 on main release and tumbleweed edition, I thing it would not make much different. IMHO.

Asus X201EP | Intel Celeron 2x 1.10 GHz | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | Antergos 64-Bit.

Posts 6Views 4157