• Some general comments on "out of the box" user-friendliness

Hi,
    I would like to make some general comments about “out of the box” user friendliness.
    (This is intended to be constructive. I think arch/Antergos are great, and the easy install+sane defaults out-of-the-box experience for arch fills an important need)

First for some context, I’m an experienced linux user, but mainly Fedora/Redhat/Ubuntu (and actually coming from Kubuntu as my desktop OS), so I’m new to Arch at least.

I’ve installed a KDE desktop, so some of my issues are specific to that

1. Default packages (in particular “optional dependencies” for default installed apps)
      List of things which were not working and fixed simply by installing additional packages
      a) Flac and mp3 playback in clementine not working. (Fixed by installing the various gstreamer0.10 plugin packages)
      b) spell check in kde applications not working (needed to install aspell-en)
      c) spell check in libre office not working (needed to install hunspell-en)
      d) I think pulseaudio should be installed by default in a modern distro (but there may be conflicting opinions about this). Everything worked as expected simply by installing the package in any case.

2. Nvidia binary drivers
      Would be nice to have an easier/more user friendly way to install them (a la ubuntu restricted drivers utility). I had to remove a few nouveau packages by hand to resolve the dependencies.
      (Incidentally I personally have a GTX580 and had problems with nouveau already in the installer, which I worked around with nomodeset. An option to use nvidia drivers already in the live environment could be interesting)

3. Gnome wifi password bug was extremely annoying in the installer.
      (I don’t use gnome in general, but I had to mess around for a few minutes to figure out how to connect to the wifi)
      Same issue as reported here:
      [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1923&p=8707&hilit=wifi+password#p8707][0]">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1923&p=8707&hilit=wifi+password#p8707

[0]: <a href=

• Hi,
    I would like to make some general comments about “out of the box” user friendliness.
    (This is intended to be constructive. I think arch/Antergos are great, and the easy install+sane defaults out-of-the-box experience for arch fills an important need)

First for some context, I’m an experienced linux user, but mainly Fedora/Redhat/Ubuntu (and actually coming from Kubuntu as my desktop OS), so I’m new to Arch at least.

1. Default packages (in particular “optional dependencies” for default installed apps)
      List of things which were not working and fixed simply by installing additional packages
      a) Flac and mp3 playback in clementine not working. (Fixed by installing the various gstreamer0.10 plugin packages)
      d) I think pulseaudio should be installed by default in a modern distro (but there may be conflicting opinions about this). Everything worked as expected simply by installing the package in any case.

2. Nvidia binary drivers
      Would be nice to have an easier/more user friendly way to install them (a la ubuntu restricted drivers utility). I had to remove a few nouveau packages by hand to resolve the dependencies.
      (Incidentally I personally have a GTX580 and had problems with nouveau already in the installer, which I worked around with nomodeset. An option to use nvidia drivers already in the live environment could be interesting)

3. Gnome wifi password bug was extremely annoying in the installer.
      (I don’t use gnome in general, but I had to mess around for a few minutes to figure out how to connect to the wifi)
      Same issue as reported here:
      [http://forum.antergos.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1923&p=8707&hilit=wifi+password#p8707][0]">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1923&p=8707&hilit=wifi+password#p8707

[0]: <a href=

• i agree with the default pulse. i always need pulse to use my audio.

agree on the video drivers also. most everyone with modern hardware will want non free drivers installed. i was able to install my ati drivers with help from the antergos wiki but still had some problems. gui always makes it nice though.

i guess in the end it just depends how user friendly Antergos wants to get or if they want to keep it more for advanced users. i wouldnt call myself advanced ive mostly used ubuntu and debian but most recent i spent over a year on Manjaro. ive been on Antergos for a few weeks now using openbox and things have been pretty smooth.

• To be honest, for such a small Antergos team devs, they have done a tremendous work. They have made Arch Linux install made as easy as it gets. They have always been around here giving advice and assistance and I do believe that they like what they are doing! I have no doubt that they will take good care of problems, bugs, improvements as well as our own recommendations and suggestions with the time…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @“theMule”:29cyrpvl said:

d) I think pulseaudio should be installed by default in a modern distro (but there may be conflicting opinions about this). Everything worked as expected simply by installing the package in any case.[/quote:29cyrpvl]

Thanks for the feedback. I have added these items to our tracker so you can expect to see them fixed/corrected in the next release

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 1175