• Suggestion: Install w/Gparted-Manjaro Type Disk Setup

I have used a few distributions, and Antergos is by far my favorite. Antergos has also allowed me to royally botch dual-boot setups. I’ve never had this problem before, and upon looking at the answers to do it correctly it made me think that there appears to be an answer already out there, but it’s not being used by the Cnchi installer. I don’t know who’s on the developing teams for something like this, but my suggestion is this:

Please include a way to make changes to the hard drive like Ubuntu, Manjaro and Linux Mint (I know; Ubuntu derivative) where instead of just seeing a list of drives for special setups, you get a chance to install alongside another OS?

Also, it would be nice to have the way Manjaro allows you to work with partitions in the installer. I really like that! Better than Ubuntu’s. For people who are new to Arch/Antergos and LInux in general, this is not an easy step. Ubuntu makes it easier, but you can still foul it up if you’re not careful. I know that Manjaro is a kind of rival outfit, but someone did something right. And, in the “For-What-It’s-Worth” category, I’d love to see that type of partition setup used in all distros.

Like John Lennon sang, “You can call me a dreamer…” but I doubt I’m the only one. 😉

Thanks for the opportunity to make a suggestion.

• As far as i remember devs are also not that happy with the partition part from the installer.
    And what you are talking about is the first screen for “casual” partitions:
    0_1522280897994_Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-03-29 01-47-24.png
    As the advanced is the same as we have inside cnchi (as far as i rem.)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• forget 😉 i like the partition part from manjaro also ! as it is more easy to understand, and it have the coloured stripes showing before and after for the partitions!

how to add system logs:

• [but / time=money]

Development for Antergos needs donations, as devs have little time to do such work!

how to add system logs:

• @joekamprad That’s it exactly.

I admire people who can make things like that, and a part of me wishes I had that skill-set. Another part of me gets a headache thinking about it.

This is part of what I used to do for MS, Apple, Deneba & Intuit; make suggestions based on what’s in place. This is one area I think Antergos could improve. The rest of the installer is absolutely fantastic! I love the options you get before you start the installer. The multiple DE’s, the choice of some basic apps…it’s great. And, I did take a look at that other Arch distro that has an almost DOS like installer. It offers a lot, but really could be a little overwhelming as well. I think Antergos is on the right track. Just needs a nice tweak.

As far as the rest of Antergos goes, I’m just now wondering what else I could even think could be helpful. Some of the commands like how to update Grub could be more in line with what you read in other Distros, perhaps. But, once you find it you can use it.

My 2 cents American, that’s all. 😉

• @adam-worth
    That is a great suggestion! 🙂 But as joe pointed out, time is money.

Actually, at install you can use gparted prior to using cnchi.
    Right after booting with the installer stick and before doing anything with cnchi, just start gparted and create the partitions you like.

I know it is not an obvious choice for a newcomer, but for a bit more experienced user that is a good option.

Please report issues including all details! ;-)
    Show files here: cat "file" | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1
    and show the URL.

• Workaround:

As Gparted is installed, creating a button/link to it inside Cnchi saying
    "use Gparted" or something like that, leave it as an option.

You click, Gparted window opens, you create your partitions and goes back to the installation.

This is not ideal, I know, this idea is a temporary solution until the installer gets improved.

• @ssspacez & @manuel. Very true. I have tried to use Gparted before for dual-boot setups with Antergos. I must have done something wrong, because even though the other OS was there, it wouldn’t show up in Grub on boot. You could see and mount the other partition just fine after the fresh install, but I must have missed something about either mount points, where to boot grub, etc. That’s why I just gave up and went with a single boot. I don’t need two different Antergos installs (I was testing DE’s). And, I use Virtualbox for the 1 program I need in Windows. I just found it difficult, and I’ve done this before. LOL! Since I’ve settled on KDE for my DE, I really don’t need to play anymore. And, if I do, I’ll use Virtualbox. But, I like the suggestions until things can be changed. Thanks for the input.

• @adam-worth
    Strange that other installs did not show up on grub.
    But it can be remedied with a command

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

in the new install. Then other operating systems are/should be in the grub menu. For that to work, package os-prober needs to be installed, and it should be there by default.

and show the URL.

• Hi @manuel. Oddly enough, I did try that to see if it would work, and it did not. So, I’m guessing I just didn’t set something up correctly when I attempted the dual-boot. LOL, it figures I’d screw something up.

• @adam-worth
    Dual booting is not the simplest things to do anyway… And so easy to put things into a state where only reinstall or rescue disks help…

As you mentioned, VirtualBox is a good way of exploring a distro or a desktop environment, although VirtualBox has its limitations. Those limitations can somewhat be alleviated with a powerful machine with lots of RAM.

and show the URL.

disk11 suggestion9 Posts 11Views 293
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.