• Will this Gnome memory leak issue impact my install?

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering installing Antergos as soon as I get my HDD on my laptop.

Recently, I have read about a serious memory leak issue with the latest Gnome version, that seemes to impact the beta of the next Ubuntu LTS 18.04.

More info:
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/gnome-shell-has-a-memory-leak-and-it-might-not-be-fixed-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1672297
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/64

I consider using Gnome as my desktop. Will that issue impact me? What version of Gnome is shipped with Antergos?

I also asked the question on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/antergos/comments/87gpy9/will_this_gnome_issue_impact_my_install/

• Sorry, did not search enough for a thread that could potentially answer my question : https://forum.antergos.com/topic/9511/gnome-update-to-version-3-28-0

• @chtboner said in Will this Gnome memory leak issue impact my install?:

I consider using Gnome as my desktop. Will that issue impact me?

I’d say no, it will not.

There were a few posts about a presumed Gnome memory leak even in our forum. Investigating, I followed Gnome’s gnome-shell memory usage in Antergos, native Arch, Revenge, Siduction, Tumbleweed, Fedora. Gnome session in each test lasted for about 30 minutes. I was opening many apps, like file managers, mail clients, browsers with multiple tabs, text and graphic editors, terminals, system monitors. I didn’t play games though.

In all distros gnome-shell memory usage was starting with 82 M, slowly grown up to 120-140 M while additional apps were opened, and slowly turned back to 80-90 M while apps were closed. Nothing strange.

Ubuntu doesn’t use the upstream Gnome, like other distros do. Ubuntu offers customized Gnome version. Ubuntu troubles hardly apply to other distros.

I don’t use Ubuntu. And didn’t observe Gnome memory leak in any of tests.

What version of Gnome is shipped with Antergos?

Antergos doesn’t ship any fixed version of any DE. Antergos performs online DE installation directly from Arch repos.

With Antergos, you get the current version of any DE, which is present in Arch repos. For Gnome, it is currently 3.28.

• Good to hear it might not be a gnome issue after all. On Ubuntu, the memory leak is real. Right on login, memory usage of gnome-shell typically is about 170, quickly grows to 350 after a few minutes, and then steadily grows over several hours to 800 - 900 after four or five hours, never to go down substantially. This will however usually not be noticed on average use, and if the system is shutdown daily.

• @just Thanks for your reply.

I am going to switch to Antergos soon then

• Please note that Arch wiki is also a good place to find answers if problems arise.

And as Antergos is a rolling release, you are very much advised to look at the Arch wiki and Antergos forums before making updates to the system.

A tool for sending logs: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10586/eat-logs
    Install eat: wget -q https://github.com/manuel-192/eat/raw/master/PKGBUILD && makepkg -sic

• @manuel

Running Gnome 3.28 at the moment, and can confirm that I’ve seen a slow memory leak with the service gnome-shell during a running desktop session.

As an example, if you repetitiously open and close Firefox sessions, you see that the gnome-shell memory slowly increases with every opening, but does not retreat when each session ends.

GM

• I also noticed high Memory/CPU peaks using gnome-shell. I have been using Antergos since 1 year ago. never reinstalled. I use it as my principal Home/Work environment, sometimes I have restarted my PC like 2 times a day due to high memory-CPU consumption.

• @jairoalonso25 hi, I think you will find that you can just restart gnome without a complete reboot to reclaim the memory loss…

Alt-F2 for command entry; key in R and Enter.

• For sure! You can also restart your system and the memory will be reclaimed 🙂 The good news is that gnome developers are on the issue and even found the cause - as expected, it is a matter of incomplete cleanup of “garbage”. Probably this will be fixed quite soon in 3.28 at least.

• This memory leak issue is a pain in the a… Only with Gnome Shell and Chromium i have nearly 3 GB busy

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE - Asus E-11
    Xubuntu 16.04.4 LTS - Dell D630
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc

• i noticed better performance with 3.28 in 2 laptops and 1 PC. And none of them are top of the line. but that’s just me…

• Yes, today i noticed that!

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE - Asus E-11
    Xubuntu 16.04.4 LTS - Dell D630
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc

• Gnome 3.28 is smoking fast on Antergos. Really, it’s as light and nimble feeling on this platform as any comparible xfce or mate spin I’ve tested. I don’t think I’d go as far as Openbox, but it’s very close on modest hardware.

I don’t have quantitive numbers, but by feel, gtk3 is a noticable quickness difference over gtk2. Maybe that’s influenced by Wayland.

With the proposed memory & performance maintenance, the DE is improving very quickly.

GM

• @GreenMartian My gnome-shell is currently sitting at almost 500MB and animations are definitely laggy. The only way to fix this is either to regularly restart gnome-shell or by replacing gjs with gjs-fix-leaks from the AUR.
    I’m also pretty sure that this same problem existed in Gnome 3.26. I had laggy animations, but didn’t bother to check memory use back then.

The weird thing is that for the longest time none of the devs seemed to acknowledge that this problem even existed. Now there’s a (supposedly hacky) fix that schedules garbage collection more frequently, but I’m still waiting for this to land in the official repos.

Apart from that, most distros with Gnome use considerably more RAM than anything running xfce or mate - regardless of the GC issue. Even if Gnome feels snappy to you, it’s certainly not as problem free as you claim.

• @dispi4 said in Will this Gnome memory leak issue impact my install?:

My gnome-shell is currently sitting at almost 500MB and animations are definitely laggy

That’s not a big RAM usage indeed, maybe those lags are related with processor instead of RAM memory?

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto It is, going by what gnome-shell should actually be using. But the actual problem is that its RAM use grows even bigger over time, without freeing up memory. I’ve previously had it go over 800MB. This is definitely a problem.

maybe those lags are related with processor instead of RAM memory?

It doesn’t appear so. My i5-2500k isn’t overloaded on even one of its cores, when I experience laggy animations.
    Also, when I restart the Gnome shell, its RAM usage goes down to about 120MB and animations run smoothly again (at least for a while) without CPU usage being noticably different from before the restart.

It might very well be a different issue, but currently nothing comes to mind.

• @dispi4
    Ok.
    Could you try one of the commands from the link to test if memory is released?
    https://www.tecmint.com/clear-ram-memory-cache-buffer-and-swap-space-on-linux/

Do you think creating a script to release memory will be worth for testing?

Here is an example of bash script with loop, since the one from the link uses crontab

#!/bin/bash

CLEAN_MEMORY(){
        sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    #sleep 10 minutes
        sleep 600
        CLEAN_MEMORY
    }

CLEAN_MEMORY

Portergos site
    https://github.com/Portergos/portergos-iso

Still in love with Antergos (default OS)
    I3wm

Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto

bash: /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches: Keine Berechtigung #"not permitted"

Even with sudo.

Do you think creating a script to release memory will be worth for testing?

Like I mentioned above, there’s a workaround with installing gjs-fix-leaks from the AUR. If I understand correctly, it compiles gjs with some of the patches that are currently tested with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, to schedule garbage collection more frequently in order to free up memory.

I’m currently testing it and some of the lag issues seem to still be there, but less frequently. At the very least gnome-shell seems to stay below 180MB.

• @dispi4 said in Will this Gnome memory leak issue impact my install?:

@GreenMartian My gnome-shell is currently sitting at almost 500MB and animations are definitely laggy. The only way to fix this is either to regularly restart gnome-shell or by replacing gjs with gjs-fix-leaks from the AUR.
    I’m also pretty sure that this same problem existed in Gnome 3.26. I had laggy animations, but didn’t bother to check memory use back then.

The weird thing is that for the longest time none of the devs seemed to acknowledge that this problem even existed. Now there’s a (supposedly hacky) fix that schedules garbage collection more frequently, but I’m still waiting for this to land in the official repos.

Apart from that, most distros with Gnome use considerably more RAM than anything running xfce or mate - regardless of the GC issue. Even if Gnome feels snappy to you, it’s certainly not as problem free as you claim.

Well dispi4, actually yes it has been problem free for me. On my hardware, Gnome 3.28 is more responsive in a number of ways than Ubuntu XFCE 18.04 and current Manjaro Mate.

In fact, currently running at 2.4G of RAM without any hint of any lag, stutter, etc. The same as a fresh boot. All Intel on-board, i7 & 12GB.

You wouldn’t know what the devs were aware of unless you were in fact, a Gnome dev. If you’re not happy, switch to an alternative DE. Otherwise, appreciate that it’s finally acknowledged and will be addressed in the next release of Gnome.

You’ve said your i5 isn’t the issue, but you’ve failed to provide more information about the rest of your system…

GM

gnome314 memory9 impact2 leak1 Posts 25Views 1496
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.