• \[SOLVED\] Chromium Slow To Start

I just installed Antergos and all seems well except Chromium is very slow to start and actually is frozen for 10 seconds before it opens. I don’t have this issue with Chakra or Ubuntu. In fact every time I close Chromium and open it again, the same thing happens.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

• I just installed Antergos and all seems well except Chromium is very slow to start and actually is frozen for 10 seconds before it opens. I don’t have this issue with Chakra or Ubuntu. In fact every time I close Chromium and open it again, the same thing happens.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

• Hi,

Have you tried disabling all of your chrome extensions to see if there is a difference? When looking at Chakra and Ubuntu, they both use older kernel versions (Chakra is on 3.12 branch and Ubuntu is 3.13). Ubuntu is using Chromium 34 while we have 35 on Arch. However, Chakra appears to be using v35 also though its not really comparable because its a “bundle” (it contains all files, libraries, etc it requires to run within the bundle so it does not share system libs) ANYWAY…my point is that comparing this issue to Chakra and Ubuntu doesn’t really fit. Is your system completely up-to-date?

sudo pacman -Syyu

I would recommend trying the development branch of chromium to see if the issue has aready been fixed there. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• I will give it a shot, although I always update my kernel to the latest and greatest with Ubuntu so I tend to think there may be another issue at hand.

I should mention that I chose Cinnamon as my DE during installation. I’m not sure if that matters. I do find Cinnamon faster on Antergos than Ubuntu or Mint (go figure)…

Thanks for replying!

• how does firefox work? any other app problems only chromium?

i only ask because ive run in to several problems with chromium over the years that turned out to be not distro related.

although i still like chromium

• @“megaman”:16zn4sh7 said:

how does firefox work? any other app problems only chromium?

i only ask because ive run in to several problems with chromium over the years that turned out to be not distro related.

although i still like chromium[/quote:16zn4sh7]
    Well I’m new to the ‘Arch way’, so I am not sure how to install Firefox or Chrome. I gave up for now trying to deal with Chakra as they don’t include the Arch Repository. Fedora, Opensure and Ubuntu I have down. Pacman - not so much…

• This will help: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta][1]

You can install packages using PacmanXG (a GUI tool). Of coourse you could use the commandline if you wanted:

sudo sudo pacman -Syyu \#Check and install updates  
    sudo pacman -S firefox yaourt \#Install firefox and also yaourt if not already installed.  
    yaourt -S google-chrome --noconfirm \#Install google chrome

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Rosetta

• like dustin says PacmanXG works very well. check the AUR option for just about any app out there.

• @“parkslope”:zbwstziy said:

Well I’m new to the ‘Arch way’, so I am not sure how to install Firefox or Chrome. I gave up for now trying to deal with Chakra as they don’t include the Arch Repository. Fedora, Opensure and Ubuntu I have down. Pacman - not so much…[/quote:zbwstziy]
    Welcome to the Antergos forums! This is the place to come when you have questions, because everyone is friendly and ready to extend a helping hand. And if that fails, we pull out our super-secret weapon - lots.0.logs, who is always keeping us from harm’s way.

As others have mentioned, installing programs is really a lot easier than it looks. Your Antergos install already has PacmanXG installed, so it is the easiest method. Open it up, search for the program you want to use, select it and you’ll be all set.

For the lion’s share of seven years, I stuck pretty close to Debian and Debian derivatives, so I was a bit off balance without having APT close at hand. But once I saw how easy pacman, Yaourt and PacmanXG are to use, I settled into Antergos like I had been using it for years. I still learn something new about Antergos, almost every day, but I consider that to be a good thing.

If you get just half the enjoyment of using Antergos I’ve experienced, you’re still going to be delighted with it.

• Thanks for the warm welcome! I installed Chrome via pacman and have the same issue with Chromium, a frozen browser for 20 seconds.

Firefox is my backup and installs and starts quickly.

Do you guys prefer a separate thread for each issue. I launched PacmanXG and was met with a message that a new version was available. I updated as instructed but still have the Beta version. If you prefer a new thread please let me know.

• i also believe opera has released a dev version that is based on chromium. its in the AUR.

• @“parkslope” said:

As far as PacmanXG is concerned, pay no attention. It was reported and it wiil be fixed…
    * I avoid using non-open source programmes wherever I can & Chromium is one of them. I prefer using Firefox instead, which runs as expected…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I think I found it. This is a ‘keyring’ issue. Easy to disable with Ubuntu, not so easy with an Arch environment. Any ideas?

• @"George said:

@“parkslope” said:

* I avoid using non-open source programmes wherever I can & Chromium is one of them. I prefer using Firefox instead, which runs as expected…

I need Chromium/Chrome as I also require Windows 7 for work. Chrome does an excellent job of syncing everything.

• Ι never had any issues with Firefox sync. Of course, this is what I use it for…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @"George said:

Ι never had any issues with Firefox sync. Of course, this is what I use it for…[/quote:1fmfogcs]
    It has been the opposite for me. Firefox sync always gave me triple bookmarks and messed up my passwords. I really need Chrome working for me to stick with this distro.

• Removing the Gnome-Keyring package takes care of the issue, I think!

• I had the same issues with both Chromium and Chrome from the Aur. This solved the issues with looking at the information posted on the terminal. Read this post.

[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1404992][0]">[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1404992][1]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1404992

Posts 18Views 6460