• Macbook Pro Retina mid 2014 Help

i’ve recently decided to try a linux build and i installed archlinux on a usb and have had it for a few months, now i’m trying to dual boot my mac with antergos, but i’ve yet to find a way to install it.

i don’t really have any issue with the installation itself, but rather getting my internet to work, for now i can only connect using wi-fi and my mac uses the pcid -> 14e4:43a0, which proved to be really annoying to install in my experience?? i know i need the broadcom-wl or broadcom-wl-dkms, but i can’t get it working, i’ve tried loading some packages on another usb and installing them from antergo terminal, no success … no wi-fi so far

can anyone help me ? 😭

p.s : right now i dont have thunderbolt nor usb ethernet cable (would only get those if its realllly needed)
    ps2 : i dont own a smartphone to tether internet

• You’ve loaded the packages from a flashdrive, but did you build them with the exact linux kernel as on your machine. You can do so using the Antergos ISO and follow the steps that is stated here:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x#Internet

• i suppose i did, but not really sure? maybe you mean i have to build them from antergos … hm…

what i did was :
    (i tried both broadcom-wl and broadcom-wl-dkms dkms)

git clone "package 1"
    makepkg -s
    cp package.pkg.tar.xz  /tmp/usb/

then on antergos

pacman -U /tmp/usb/*.pkg.tar.xz

should i just do git clone and then do the makepkg inside antergos?

• What I meant was to build the broadcom-wl package in the Antergos live session from the ISO, make sure that the kernel version is the same as on your machine, this part is the most important one. Then copy it to a flashdrive and install it on your machine.
    Read the link I’ve sent you, because this is a specific step for MacBook pro’s mid 2014, t!he other models don’t have this issue.
    Good luck

• @bryanpwo Sry for straying but I have two old Apples I want to convert. Is there a place here for Arch on Apple, or something like that?

Thanks guys!

• Most Macs install Antergos without a problem, the model you mention in the starting post has a different type of wifi card, hence the problem you faced.
    Which models are you talking about?

• @raech broadcom-wl is aviable as a package over antergos repository, so no need to build it on you own.
    You did it right by installing with pacman -U /path/to/package.pkg.tar.gz

But to get the driver loaded you will need to reboot or load it by hand:

sudo rmmod wl
    sudo modprobe brcmfmac

or oppisite:

sudo rmmod brcmsmac
    sudo modprobe wl

• @bryanpwo Tx Bryan, we have a 2008 MacBook Pro and a 2009 iMac. I want both on Arch. I was even thinking of using the iMac as the main entertainment center and use the laptop and my desktop as my home network.

• Both models will install Antergos without a problem, just try it and you’ll see.

• @bryanpwo Oh you bet. Thanks Bryan, you’ve been a great help.

• My pleasure!

wifi150 installing125 macbook pro10 broadcom-wl9 Posts 11Views 910
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.