• Switching from Cinnamon to KDE Plasma

Hi,

I have switched from Cinnamon to KDE, because I realized that KDE does handle my resources better. This is strange to me, because KDE has so many more effects. It works flawless now, but I want to have pamac and lightdm in the KDE look. I installed the respective KDE integration packages. Pamac now appears in the plasmashell, but the window is still GTK3 and doesn’t look nice. I installed the lightdm-kde-greeter, but it didn’t have any effect. The antergos-kde-setup is faulty btw, since the names of kopete and sweeper have changed.

How can I make the Antergos stuff integrate more nicely?

Cheers

• Not fixing your problem but actually I would like to switch too. How do you do it? Thanks.

• Maybe this thread will give you some answers:
    here

• @egometrie said in Switching from Cinnamon to KDE Plasma:

I installed the lightdm-kde-greeter, but it didn’t have any effect.

you need to change lightdm config by hand to make it present:

https://antergos.com/wiki/desktops/installing-display-managers/

• KDE users should use Discover app store instead of Pamac, but looks like it doesn’t work well with Arch based, I couldn’t make it work well, I don’t know if there is some conflict between Pamac and Discover or other issues, the integration doesn’t work well… The AUR packages didn’t show up on Discover too, so… for now, the best solution is to use Pamac or the terminal, or try the commands suggested by Adam in the linked thread.

• @joekamprad sorry I forgot that…

Also there is a security risk with Discover & Arch: it was not asking for a password before removing/installing packages, very weird. So, avoid it for now.

but the window is still GTK3 and doesn’t look nice

breeze-gtk theme will make gtk apps looks like breeze !

• Thank you for your replies!

@ase11: You have to install either via antergos-kde-setup (didn’t work for me) or install plasma-desktop. Then I would uninstall everything gnome-related, because in my case gvfs is eating a lot of resources. I think some applets of the cairo-dock are also not working anymore, because I uninstalled gvfs, but the Plasma desktop gives you a lot of alternatives.

@joekamprad: I now switched to SDDM login manager, because you can configure it in plasma settings
    The breeze-gtk theme worked well except for missing shadows of windows, but I already created another thread for that.

@Bryanpwo: Okay, in the thread he says that KDE has improved, but the difference for me is just unbelievable. My laptop now runs faster and cooler than with any other desktop environment. On Cinnamon, GNOME or LXDE my processor used to run around 50°C when idle. On KDE it runs at 35°C !!! when idle. That is cooler than my friggin’ blood brah! On Cinnamon I was experiencing BT connection problems - gone! I was having memory problems, being that the longer I used Cinnamon, the more memory was used for cache. I had to hit Alt+F2 and type “r” to reload Cinnamon and I got free memory again. This problem is gone as well. I have no idea why there is such a big difference. I am guessing that Cinnamon just runs well on Mint. I have never had problems with it on MInt.

• @ssspacez: Discover just shows plasma extensions for me. I can’t see any arch packages or AUR. If I hit settings nothing happens. Pamac works fine for me, I just want to have shadows for GTK apps!

Man, why was my previous post flagged as spam???

• @ssspacez: Edit: There is a package to make it work with arch repos, but it really doesn’t ask for a password when installing a package, although, it does when I uninstall a package. xD

Man, why was my previous post flagged as spam???

you need reputation first,the forum-spam-protection needs this (e.g. some likes)

• Okay I thought it was because of my colloquial language. Never happened to me before!

• e.g. it is about links, but will be solved now i give you some likes :)

…Pamac works fine for me, I just want to have shadows for GTK apps!

The problem with missing GTK3 shadows in Plasma is discussed in many places in Internet. You might search for it yourself.

Otherwise, you could simply read the forum. For example, here. The topic describes pros and cons of the workaround, which allows to get GTK3 shadows in Plasma.

Briefly.

Without workaround - there are no shadows at all:
    0_1522228317736_plasma-gtk3-without-shadows-2018.03.23.png

With workaround applied - shadows are present, but GTK3 apps get a double titlebar:
    0_1522228347092_plasma-gtk3-with-shadows-2018.03.23.png

• I’ve installed the gtk3-nocsd-git and lib32-libgtk3-nocsd-git packages also and to me Pamac looks very acceptable in KDE.

0_1522229653088_KDE pamac.jpg

• @bryanpwo said in Switching from Cinnamon to KDE Plasma:

I’ve installed the gtk3-nocsd-git and lib32-libgtk3-nocsd-git packages also and to me Pamac looks very acceptable in KDE.

I’m completely agree. A double titlebar is a low price for getting decently looking GTK3 windows in Plasma.

• @just

If they are working well… maybe they could be added to Antergos KDE metapackage and come pre-installed when users installing Antergos choose KDE… I don’t know, just an idea.

• @ssspacez said in Switching from Cinnamon to KDE Plasma:

…maybe they could be added to Antergos KDE metapackage and come pre-installed when users installing Antergos choose KDE… I don’t know, just an idea.

[offtopic]

I’m firmly convinced, that adopting meta packages was and remains a bad idea, taken by developers by the end of 2017. Meta packages should be completely removed from Antergos, not modified or improved.

As for two nocsd packages:

• they’re from AUR; it’s unwise to directly include AUR pkgs in a meta package

• taking them from AUR and placing into [antergos] repo means additional maintenance work and headaches for developers

• not all users like double titlbars at a price of added shadows; they prefer to have one titlebar only, even at a cost of lost shadows

[/offtopic]

kde185 cinnamon89 plasma42 switching14 Posts 19Views 1987
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.