• Can't use external monitor with nvidia driver

I recently got a new laptop that has a NVIDIA GTX 1060. After finishing the install, and
    installing nvidia and bumblebee I spent hours upon hours trying to figure out why my external
    monitor no longer worked. After a bit more testing it would seem that if I am using the nvidia
    proprietary driver, then I can’t use my external monitor. If I switch to nouveau then I can use
    the external monitor, but then primusrun & optirun fail to run.

Thus the dilemma; Do I have to live without an external monitor? or is their a workaround for
    this issue that I haven’t come across yet?

Thanks.
    ~Sol

output of xrandr --listproviders (with nvidia driver)

Providers: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x43 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 
    outputs: 1 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

output of xrandr --listproviders (with nouveau driver)

Providers: number : 2
    Provider 0: id: 0xc8 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
    Provider 1: id: 0x46 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 4 outputs: 3 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting

output of primusrun with nouveau driver

primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: [XORG] (EE) NOUVEAU(0): [drm] failed to set drm interface version.

• @solacevii Is it possible to use Bumblebee with your hardware? Works excellent for me.

0_1521015933847_dual.jpg

• @piotr said in Can't use external monitor with nvidia driver:

@solacevii Is it possible to use Bumblebee with your hardware?

Bumblebee doesn’t work well with nVidia GTX 10+ series, afaik. The mentioned article warns about it. I don’t have such hardware, so can’t check it. Though there were a few reports about successfull Bmb installation on GTX 10+.

Works excellent for me.

Does Bmb run on GTX 10+ card? Or on a lower nVidia Optimus model?

• @just said in Can't use external monitor with nvidia driver:

Does Bmb run on GTX 10+ card?

If you mean 10 + two more digits - it does not.

Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
    Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 930M] bus-ID: 01:00.0

• @piotr said in Can't use external monitor with nvidia driver:

If you mean 10 + two more digits - …

Yes, I meant exactly that. Thanks for the answer.

Your GeForce 930M is the excellent Optimus card.

• @piotr I can only use bumblebee if I enable the proprietary driver. But then I can’t use dual monitor ;(

• @solacevii said in Can't use external monitor with nvidia driver:

I can only use bumblebee if I enable the proprietary driver. But then I can’t use dual monitor

I’m sorry to hear this. Proprietary drivers never worked well for me.

• So I guess I’m waiting for bumblebee to have better support for GTX 10XX cards…thus the wait begins.

nvidia152 driver55 monitor44 external16 Posts 8Views 589
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.