• symbol lookup error for libxcb-shm.so.0 when starting emacs

I recently updated (after maybe a week lapse) and now I cannot start emacs (at least, this is the only application I’ve noticed so far). Here’s what I see:

$ emacs
    emacs: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds

It seems that libxcb-shm is a shared memory library for X11.

I also tried emacs -Q and emacs -nx, but neither changed anything, nor did completely removing emacs and reinstalling.

I’m running a fairly fresh install with Gnome. The only major changes are these: I replaced lightdm with gdm, and tried to get bumblebee working (i think it was, but I removed it anyway). I’m using the nvidia drivers and running wayland. Generally things seem to be working well, except for emacs.

Where else can I look for debugging?

• This post is deleted!
  • The packages that provide that library are

[[email protected] ~]$ pacman -Fs libxcb-shm.so
    extra/libxcb 1.13-1
        usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so
    multilib/lib32-libxcb 1.13-1
        usr/lib32/libxcb-shm.so

They were updated from the upstream 5 days ago.

Did you try to reinstall the library?

• @dagorret Thank you for the very quick reply! And thanks for teaching me the use of pacman -Fs.

I think I had tried that as well, but in any case I did it again. No luck.

$ sudo pacman -Sy libxcb lib32-libxcb
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     antergos is up to date
     core is up to date
     extra is up to date
     community is up to date
     multilib is up to date
    warning: libxcb-1.13-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
    warning: lib32-libxcb-1.13-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
    resolving dependencies...
    looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) lib32-libxcb-1.13-1  libxcb-1.13-1

Total Installed Size:  4.88 MiB
    Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
    (2/2) checking keys in keyring                                  [##################################] 100%
    (2/2) checking package integrity                                [##################################] 100%
    (2/2) loading package files                                     [##################################] 100%
    (2/2) checking for file conflicts                               [##################################] 100%
    (2/2) checking available disk space                             [##################################] 100%
    :: Processing package changes...
    (1/2) reinstalling libxcb                                       [##################################] 100%
    (2/2) reinstalling lib32-libxcb                                 [##################################] 100%
    :: Running post-transaction hooks...
    (1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Then I try emacs again:

$ emacs
    emacs: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds

I thought this might be related to the libxfont(2)/xcb-proto issues others are having, but I don’t have libxfont (only libxfont2), and I reinstalled libxfont2 and xcb-proto, but still nothing.

• Update:

it’s not just emacs; i guess that’s the only gui app I was regularly starting from a command line since I updated.

$ nautilus
    nautilus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds
    $ gedit 
    gedit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds

So I suspected it was my install of the LOGON repository, which has a history of interfering with system libraries. I stopped LOGON from loading in .bashrc and then I could start emacs (and other apps) from the command line again. I’ll go ask on the mailing list for LOGON to if someone knows what might be interfering now, and hopefully I’ll remember to report back if I solve the problem.

error248 symbol3 lookup2 libxcb-shm.so.01 Posts 5Views 95
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.