• Nvidia950m and integrated gpu, can't boot after bumblebee installation

I have been trying to install antergos on my notebook which has a nvidia gtx 950M along with intel integrated graphics, and it’s an Optimus card.
    I had to use modprobe.blacklist=nouveau to boot to install the os without crashing.
    I followed the bumblebee tutorial on the antergos wiki tutorial multiple times but it doesn’t boot after I install all the packages. I just get a flashing cursor for some seconds and then the fans start working at maximum and nothing happens. Without bumblebee It would boot and then crash at almost anything i opened.

I have also tried to use the nvidia-installer to make sure it wasn’t something I had done wrong, but the result is still the same.

One thing i noticed was that for some reason i did not have any nouveau drivers package installed on my first boot, and I installed the OS multiple times, i had xf86-video-mesa and another one, xf86-video-fbdev i think .

In my BIOS there’s no option to enable/disable anything related to the video cards. I wouldn’t mind using only the integrated graphics or the nvidia card if that was easier but It doesn’t look like that’s possible.

This is the tutorial I followed antergos[dot]com/wiki/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/

Any help would be appreciated .

• @tubaralho said in Nvidia950m and integrated gpu, can't boot after bumblebee installation:

One thing i noticed was that for some reason i did not have any nouveau drivers package installed on my first boot

Preface.

It is correct, if you install Antergos following Antergos Wiki. modprobe.blacklist=nouveau prevents all nouveau modules from being loaded on boot and nouveau driver from being installed during installation.

nvidia-installer, when it is used to install Bmb, does almost the same thing - it removes an installed nouveau driver.

This is correct. Bmb doesn’t support nouveau anymore.

For me it is not correct that the recent Antergos 18.2 doesn’t install xf86-video-intel driver on hybrid nVidia cards. A personal opinion, exposed in a blog, cannot justify the missing xf86-video-intel installation. Antergos 18.2 installs xf86-video-vesa and xf86-video-fbdev only. Depending on hardware, it may or may not be enough to make a computer work.

Details.

Do you still have Antergos - without nouveau - installed? If yes, try to boot into runlevel 3. Simply add 3 at the end of the boot line. It wiil boot into pure bash shell, with network and without GUI.

Login into bash with your username and password. The computer is fully functional now. It can do everything, which can be done without GUI.

Try to install xf86-video-intel driver and reboot:

sudo pacman -Syu xf86-video-intel
    sudo systemctl reboot

Does it help to boot into GUI?

• I have installed the xf86-video-intel driver but it did not solve the problem, still the same.

• I hope you did it on a fresh, clean Antergos installation, where no Bmb installation attempts were done. If so, then I don’t have other ideas, for now.

• @just said in Nvidia950m and integrated gpu, can't boot after bumblebee installation:

I hope you did it on a fresh, clean Antergos installation, where no Bmb installation attempts were done. If so, then I don’t have other ideas, for now.

No, I did it after installing Bmb and it did not work. Now I used the nvidia-installer package to restore the nouveau ( so it would remove the conflicting packages it had installed ), removed nouveau again and installed the intel driver and for now, it is actually working.
    Thank you for your help! So now I assume I am only using the integrated intel gpu right?

• @tubaralho said in Nvidia950m and integrated gpu, can't boot after bumblebee installation:

…So now I assume I am only using the integrated intel gpu right?

First, please show the full list of all video drivers, installed from regular Arch repos. Run the commnabd:

yaourt -Q | grep -i xf86-video-

If xf86-video-intel is among them and Bmb is installed, then by default your system always runs on Intel GPU. The system uses xf86-video-intel video driver.

This is the default Bmb behaviour - to always use Intel GPU.

nVidia GPU is used only when a command is explicitly executed with optirun prefix. Bmb switches nVidia GPU ON, loads nvidia or nouveau modules, the system uses nvidia or nouveau video drivers. Bmb unloads all nvidia or nouveau modules and switches nVidia GPU OFF upon optirun termination.

You may check nVidia card status at any moment with the command:

┌──[just]@[alexamp]:~$
    └─> sudo cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch
    0000:01:00.0 OFF
    ┌──[just]@[alexamp]:~$
    └─> 

If the command returns OFF, it means that nVidia card is switched off, and the system uses Intel GPU.

boot220 gpu13 integrated2 nvidia950m1 Posts 6Views 175
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.