• Add shutdown shortcut to application menu bar

It is posible to create a shortcut launcher to application menu bar?
    I try a programm called alacarte, I create a shortcut to dash, it works, but I put wrong command line and the PC closed immediately (a command something like …-P now) like crazy.
    Now I close the PC from the shutdown button on the up-right corner.

• usually there should be a shutdown button on right top bar menu… and this is what GNOME offers to shutdown…
    So what exactly do you want to do?

Having a shutdown favorite inside dock? Or you try to do so because it is not working as you think it should?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• Yes, I want a separate shutdown icon in the apllication menu bar or inside the dash.
    The shutdown button in the up-right corner it works.

When I’m on the dash and search for “shutdown” or “power off” the icon appears but I don’t get right click to add this in favorites…

alt text

• @testament said in Add shutdown shortcut to application menu bar:

…the icon appears but I don’t get right click to add this in favorites

If you’re on Gnome3, then there’s no need to do a right click on an icon.

Simply find the application in the Applications Overview, and drag-&-drop its icon onto the dock with the left mouse button.

Apps in the dock is the same thing as Favorites in Gnome3.

• In the Applications Overview there isn’t the shutdown icon. There is plenty of other apps but this icon don’t.

• @testament said in Add shutdown shortcut to application menu bar:

In the Applications Overview there isn’t the shutdown icon.

If I understand correctlyu, you’ve created a .desktop file, with a shutdown command in the Exec= instruction inside it.

To see your .desktop file icon in Applications Overview:

• make sure that Icon= instruction in the .desktop file has a valid path to a valid icon

• place you .desktop file in the /usr/share/applications folder

• @just said in Add shutdown shortcut to application menu bar:

• place you .desktop file…
    • place your .desktop file…

Forum’s software still doesn’t allow to edit posts.

• @just said in Add shutdown shortcut to application menu bar:

place you .desktop file in the /usr/share/applications folder

.local/share/applications is an equally good place to put your desktop file. That only affects your current user configuration, and doesn´t require you to have root permissions and change system folders.

Gnome since version 3.26 has a “Shutdown” command build into the shell, but unfortunatelly, this is not a regular desktop file and you cannot pin it to your favourites (or Dash if you use Dash to dock). To achieve that, you need a desktop file:

/bin/cat <<EOM >~/.local/share/applications/shutdown.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Shutdown
    Comment=Shutdown system
    Exec=gnome-session-quit --power-off
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=system-shutdown
    Categories=GTK;Utility;
    Keywords=Shut Down;Power Off;
    StartupNotify=true
    EOM

This series of commands automatically will create a shutdown.desktop file in your local applications folder. In the dash, you now will have two icons appear when you look for shutdown. You will be able to right-click the instance coming from the desktop file and select “Add to favorites”.

menu37 shutdown27 application26 shortcut8 Posts 8Views 357
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.