• Disable ALS

Hi im just wondering is there a way to disable ALS
    the automatic light sensor on my dell xps laptop

ive looked in the bios and nothing, looked in gnome standard settings nothing there
    i found ALS disable in dconf editor that hasnt worked when i disable

i have to stick a bit of tape over the sensor! like to just remove a package or block a module to have rid of it …

• @wayneward said in Disable ALS:

the automatic light sensor on my dell xps

NOTE: Updating to the current system BIOS on some system models may allow this issue to be addressed from the BIOS (EG: Vostro 5470 BIOS version A06 added an ON OFF feature for automatic brightness.)
    source

• that could be the way to go - i thought i might be able to blacklist it
    a bit easier but im guessing a newer bios wont do it any harm!!..

• its a ubuntu edition laptop running antergos and its got the A07 and the next bios is A10
    but the stupid thing is - you get the update exe for windows or dos
    on a ubuntu edition laptop!?
    im not putting windows on it that would kill me!!
    id be scared of running the file in gnome using wine it might kill it!!

• you can do it by booting with dos from usb stick ;) i do that before, but it is different on each system…

• Ill give that a go thankyou let you know how i get on

• Ill pull free dos and fire to a key and copy across the exe and run it
    Then check the bios to see if i get the option to disable als cheers guys
    Your right dell donks!

• no joy
    i installed unetbootin
    installed freedos 1.0 from unetbootin to a usb key that i use for all my installs
    copied across the new bios exe
    but i just get a blinking cursor it wont boot from the usb key for some reason
    i dont use uefi its just legacy

my laptop is this laptop
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/es/es/esbsdt1/product-support/product/xps-13-l321x-mlk/drivers

ill try flash the key again…

• for some reason the laptop locked up solid yesterday - the problem is you cant remove the battery on the dell 13 xps so have to wait for it to die!
    the als setting i set in gnome actually works now the light sensor is disabled! it now powers with no keyboard lights so i just turn them on manually now !
    very odd but its fixed itself!!
    but i did the initial settings in dconf editor. thanks for the suggestions though :)
    0_1519471031313_Screenshot-20180224121636-1920x1080.png

• To be true, I do not research, I was remember that I help someone before with that on a similar device and bios update give the setting…

disable20 als1 Posts 11Views 532
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.