• WIFI / LAN connected, but software (fe Browser) has no connection

Hej,

i have kind of a strange problem. My WiFi is connected, but none of my installed software can use the connection.

The os (Antergos, Gnome) runs for a few month without any problems. Yesterday, everything is fine, i shut down the computer, and now i have the problem. I restarted several time, also with the fallback system. I connected via LAN. I connected to another WiFi. I checked my router, the Laptop shows in the list of the active devices.

But still, Firefox, Thunderbird, Spotify, Software Updater, the Console - they all say i’m not connected to the internet. Also, Firefox and Thunderbird do need a lot more time to start.

Here is my ifconfig:

enp0s25: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
            ether 3c:97:0e:48:cb:95  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
            TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
            device interrupt 20  memory 0xf2500000-f2520000  

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
            inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
            loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
            RX packets 1098  bytes 692069 (675.8 KiB)
            RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 1098  bytes 692069 (675.8 KiB)

wlp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
            inet 192.168.178.21  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.178.255
            ether 60:67:20:c6:7a:4c  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
            RX packets 610  bytes 115093 (112.3 KiB)
            RX errors 0  dropped 8  overruns 0  frame 0
            TX packets 2221  bytes 258885 (252.8 KiB)

I tried some hint i found, like the ones below, but i don’t have any idea what to look for.
    systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
    sudo killall dhcphd

I’m open for all ideas. Next i will try to boot an live system to see if it is an hardware problem, but don’t know if that is even possible, because the connection to the router is there.

Thank you so much for your time.

• What i just found out: I can do ‘ping 8.8.8.8’ (ttl=56 time=8.49). I can not do ‘ping google.com’. But when i type 8.8.8.8 as an url in firefox, no connection.

• @bria_tharen said in WIFI / LAN connected, but software (fe Browser) has no connection:

But when i type 8.8.8.8 as an url in firefox, no connection

thats normal, as it is a dns server adress and not a side reachable by webbrowsers 😉

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    antergos:_rescue
    how to add system logs:
    wget http://bit.ly/2GCG9k2 && sh 2GCG9k2
    :handshake: donate antergos

• try livecd and if you got the same it is most likely something wrong with DNS resolution, may inside localnetwork or by your ISP connection…

how to add system logs:

• @joekamprad said in WIFI / LAN connected, but software (fe Browser) has no connection:

try livecd and if you got the same it is most likely something wrong with DNS resolution, may inside localnetwork or by your ISP connection…

There is no problem with a livecd (Ubuntu). But i don’t think that it is a problem with the network (other Devices have no problems) or the ISP (i can recreate the problem when i connect to another WiFi).

• Thats odd 🙂

I have no clue at the moment… And surely you try to remove settings and recreate a connection…

how to add system logs:

• @joekamprad said in WIFI / LAN connected, but software (fe Browser) has no connection:

Thats odd 🙂

I have no clue at the moment… And surely you try to remove settings and recreate a connection…

Yes, i deleted the connection and restarted it. Not sure what to do now, think i have to reinstall the system. But i’m afraud, that i will just run into the same problem again.

• dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com
    With this command you can find if your machine is reaching external addresses in cli (will display your external ip) if does reach, the problem is something wrong with desktop environment config.

If me, I’ll check this items:

1 - gnome-control-center > network : vpn and proxy settings;
    2 - gnome-control-center > wifi : in details of the connection, if dhcp config was changed in ipv4 and ipv6 tabs and security tab for security protocol and password;
    3 - /etc/hosts : check if something is wrong in hosts file;
    4 - router : check how many addresses is available and check router logs if someone else discovered your wifi password and using your connection, (in my router config I set to range only 6 devices over wifi, my phone, my wife’s phone and computer and other 3 to my friends that comes often here) and last, which type of encryption is set in router and try a new password.

• This post is deleted!
  • @edwin-foss said in WIFI / LAN connected, but software (fe Browser) has no connection:

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com
    With this command you can find if your machine is reaching external addresses in cli (will display your external ip) if does reach, the problem is something wrong with desktop environment config.

dig: couldn’t get an address for ‘resolver1.opendns.com’: not found

If me, I’ll check this items:

1 - gnome-control-center > network : vpn and proxy settings;
    2 - gnome-control-center > wifi : in details of the connection, if dhcp config was changed in ipv4 and ipv6 tabs and security tab for security protocol and password;

There is no special configuration, all settings are standard / automatic

3 - /etc/hosts : check if something is wrong in hosts file;

There are no entries in the hosts file

4 - router : check how many addresses is available and check router logs if someone else discovered your wifi password and using your connection, (in my router config I set to range only 6 devices over wifi, my phone, my wife’s phone and computer and other 3 to my friends that comes often here) and last, which type of encryption is set in router and try a new password.

There is no problem with the router / network, i can recreate the problem in any other network.

• @bria_tharen

It seems that your machine doesn’t reach outside IPs;
    Can you provide output from this commands?

lspci -v for PCI based device;
    lsusb -v for USB based device;
    and
    journalctl --boot 0
    (the last character it’s a zero not letter O)

• I fixed it! At least, i found the problem and a workaround.

I checked the /etc/resolv.conf

The entry ‘nameserver 10.22.0.1.’ is the problem. I edited it (using 8.8.8.8 at the moment, and now it works.

But i have no idea what happened, and why it happened.

• @bria_tharen
    Very odd thing, this file is generated by the NetworkManager which normally directs to your router address, but is good to hear that you solved.

Best regards

wifi119 Posts 14Views 395
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.