• Nvidia drivers to install is it necessary??

Hi guys
    i recently installed Antergos KDE and the picture quality is very good and the videos play nice.I’m not a gamer at all, so my question is necessary to install nvidia for a non gamer like me?

• @graidia said in Nvidia drivers to install is it necessary??:

…my question is necessary to install nvidia for a non gamer like me?

No, it is not necessary. Installation of proprietary nVidia drivers is optional. Hardware potential will be used at 10% without them, but it may be enough for practical needs.

• Hello!
    It is absolutely not necessary to install it. The open-source driver is already in the kernel, which is enough for most users (not gamers).

Russian fan club of Antergos

• On my ancient desktop 1GB PCI Nvidia seems to work better with proprietary drivers installed (it also depends on the Linux distro, which changes, as it’s my testing machine). On my main machine, which is a laptop with hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphics, running Antergos, the NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 930M] only works if one follows the Bumblebee for NVIDIA Optimus guide. Otherwise the Intel graphics is being selected all the time.

Take a look at my portfolio

• @piotr said in Nvidia drivers to install is it necessary??:

…Otherwise the Intel graphics is being selected all the time.

Which is absolutely correct. It’s the default Bumblebee behaviour. It uses Intel GPU all the time; nVidia GPU is used only when a command is invoked with optirun prefix.

3 out of 5 of my laptops have nVidia Optimus, and they run on Intel GPU 99.9% of time.

• TL;DR: If you experience freezing when using dual display, it might be worth it to install the drivers.

I don’t know if this is common or not, but in my case I had gnome crash on me while I was moving stuff around “too fast” I narrowed this down to the fact that I was using two screens, and it seemed to get better when I used Xorg as opposed to Wayland, but it still crashed occasionally. Eventually I realized I hadn’t installed the Nvidia drivers and it stopped crashing.

• @just said in Nvidia drivers to install is it necessary??:

Which is absolutely correct. It’s the default Bumblebee behaviour. It uses Intel GPU all the time; nVidia GPU is used only when a command is invoked with optirun prefix.

Firstly: you need to have Bumblebee installed, and it’s not installed by default, if I remember well.

Secondly: it has been widely discussed, and I don’t intend to start another shitstorm holy war, but I’d never call it “correct”. From the user’s point of view it is at most acceptable. It would be correct if OS could switch between Intel and Nvidia according to current needs (e.g. writing documents / playing a game). Of course the issue has nothing to do with Arch / Antergos.

Take a look at my portfolio

nvidia148 drivers48 necessary9 Posts 8Views 831
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.