• Cannot update linux without the OS not booting correctly

i am currently in Linux 4.14.15-1-ARCH. if i try to update it, the screen can longer detect Antergos (i know the OS is active and not simply not working because deepin does its usual booting sound).

i need help. i can’t install my wifi drivers without the new kernel and i don’t want to have to use my phone for tethering forever.

Btw i know how to downgrade the linux version.

• What graphics

• @joekamprad amr radeon r9 380

• So it looks like that only your monitor/display is not detected?

Do you install any driver package for graphics, or use as it comes with installation?

Possible installing xf86-video-ati can do the trick…

Also possible that you do some editing of configs before?

• @joekamprad the only time i was doing confings it was by trying to use conky. it may be the cause of the problem

• conky should not cause that, as it will mostly fail on its own if something is not properly configured…

To get information about what is failing we need to take a look to the journal, or xorg-logs:

lspci > log.txt && cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log >> log.txt && journalctl -b -0 >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

this will give you an short-url you can post here, and this will link me to the logs pastbinned there.

• as we have some troubler on latest deepin update and i see a lot plasma/kde related warnings and errors inside your logs… do you have plasma installed too?

i woukld first disable autologin, and then change the DM (Login Manager) to sddm to see if you can reach X visible with it…

sudo pacman -S sddm sddm-kcm
    sudo systemctl -f enable sddm
    reboot sudo systemctl reboot

• @joekamprad yes i have deepin, plasma and cinnamon installed

• to only disable autologin you will need to edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

#autologin-user=
    #autologin-user-timeout=0
    #autologin-in-background=false
    #autologin-session=

and comment the related entries with # like you can see

• @joekamprad nope i can’t see the login screen after grub. i will probably uninstall deepin and see what happens

• @joekamprad NOO i can’t login for some reason in nomodeset

• @juasjuasie said in Cannot update linux without the OS not booting correctly:

nomodeset

?

be mor eprecise on what you are doing, as i can not see it ;)

• @joekamprad sorry i freaked out because my screen is flickering random words as i am trying to downgrade the kernel in nomodeset mode (aka without GUI). but it seems i could do it after all

• @joekamprad here another link since i uninstalled DE https://ptpb.pw/K9vV

booting55 correctly8 Posts 15Views 702
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.