• Failed to start Light Display Manager

Hello everyone !

I’m a new French user of antergos (I love it !).
    I’m not really comfortable with linux. I got this bug and try to remove libxfont.

I think I made a mistake because when I start my computer I have the following message :

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager
    See 'systemctl status lightdm.service
    [Ok] Reached target Graphical Interface

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

• @tifriis_ The problem’s description is vague. I’d try to simply re-install and re-enable the default LightDM. Not sure. whether or not it will work.

1. Boot into runlevel 3 - bash only, with network and without GUI. Simply add 3 at the end of the boot line.

2. Login into bash with your user, then run:

sudo systemctl stop lightdm
      sudo systemctl disable lightdm
      sudo pacman -Syu lightdm lightdm-webkit2-greeter  <-- confirm re-install
      sudo systemctl enable lightdm
      sudo systemctl reboot

• xorg-server is depending on libxfont2 so may xorg-server is not installed because ot is removed together with it…

• @just thanks for your message. But it doesn’t work.
    What could I do to give you more informations ?

Thanks again !

• pacman -Qs xorg-server

• @tifriis_ said in Failed to start Light Display Manager:

…What could I do to give you more informations ?

As already mentioned, libxfont must be uninstalled, but libxfont2 must be preserved in the system.

Check whether libxfont2 is present with:

┌──[just]@[alexamp]:~$
    └─> pacman -Q libxfont2
    libxfont2 2.0.3-1
    ┌──[just]@[alexamp]:~$
    └─> 

If the output is empty (no output) then libxfont2 is missing, which is wrong.

Missing libxfont2 nay be re-installed in two ways:

• by explicitely installing xorg-server - not the best solution imo. It would change the package status from “installed by dependency” to “explicitely installed”, which may lead to undesired collateral effects in the future

• by re-installing antergos-common-meta - probably the best solution. The meta package installs xorg-server as dependency, which is correct. The meta package will also restore (install) all missing Antergos common packages, which you have probably inadvertisely removed during libxfont uninstallation. If there are no missing packages, then only antergos-common-meta will be re-installed, no other packages will be added.

• @just A big thanks for your help ! It worked !!!

Love this community !

…It worked !!!

Glad to hear that.

Could you be so kind to provide some feedback? It could help to help others with a similar problem.

1. Did you re-install antergos-common-meta or another package?

2. Was the libxfont2 package missing?

3. If you re-installed antergos-common-meta, did you notice other missing - and re-installed - packages?

Thank you

• @just To solve my issue :

• the libxfont2 package was missing

• I re-install antergos-common-meta and I didn’t notice other missing - and re-installed - packages?

Thanks again for your help !

• the libxfont2 package was missing

Thank you for the info. Bye.

manager71 display48 light16 Posts 10Views 5216
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.