• Best openbox distro

ive tried most of the openbox distros out there and i think Antergos has the best out of the box version of it so far

the design of it is very nice. i like having plank on the bottom and the effects that come with compton look very nice. i like the conky that is installed also. just visually everything looks very nice

my quick reviews of different openbox versions

crunchbang - ive used this in the past and this is probably my 2nd favorite version of openbox. also has a nice look out of the box but hasnt been updated in over a year. hard to get latest software packages on it and openbox seems to run faster on arch based systems.

manjarobox - i just came from manjarobox and its pretty nice out of the box also. big problem is the maintainer of it just quit along with several other members. i question how long manjaro will be around really. so hasnt been updated in quite a while. manjarobox seems to run slower than other arch versions.

archbang - i was tempted to go with archbang because it was blazing fast. its been around for a while now and seems like a very good distro. doesnt look that good out of the box though. they leave a lot of the configuring up to you. which is good if you like to customize a lot.

• ive tried most of the openbox distros out there and i think Antergos has the best out of the box version of it so far

the design of it is very nice. i like having plank on the bottom and the effects that come with compton look very nice. i like the conky that is installed also. just visually everything looks very nice

my quick reviews of different openbox versions

crunchbang - ive used this in the past and this is probably my 2nd favorite version of openbox. also has a nice look out of the box but hasnt been updated in over a year. hard to get latest software packages on it and openbox seems to run faster on arch based systems.

manjarobox - i just came from manjarobox and its pretty nice out of the box also. big problem is the maintainer of it just quit along with several other members. i question how long manjaro will be around really. so hasnt been updated in quite a while. manjarobox seems to run slower than other arch versions.

archbang - i was tempted to go with archbang because it was blazing fast. its been around for a while now and seems like a very good distro. doesnt look that good out of the box though. they leave a lot of the configuring up to you. which is good if you like to customize a lot.

• Hi!

Thanks for your kind words!

I also used Crunchbang a lot, in fact Antergos Openbox gets many configuration settings from it!

Thanks again!

Cheers!

• you are very welcome

i thought this felt crunchy

• @“megaman”:37vi3vx8 said:

ive tried most of the openbox distros out there and i think Antergos has the best out of the box version .[/quote:37vi3vx8]

It has the best look ootb for sure. I’m a huge fan of the compton effects - makes it look even more beautiful
    I’m using Antergos XF while I’m waiting for the KDE fix and I have both manjarobox and archbang on my number 2 and 3, so I don’t really need more OB but this one will be in a dualboot with archbang. The beauty and the beast will now be the new name for my no 3 comp

sorry to

• i probably could have stayed with archbang myself but it needs a lot more tweaking after install. i dont mind changing some things but i dont want to do a lot of work. i like a clean look with basic things setup out of the box. Antergos does that nice.

Manjaro also has a nice setup out of the box but nobody is working or has worked on manjarobox for a while. everyone is always fighting over there. had enough of that place. i dont think its that much more stable from what i can tell holding the packages. its a good idea though but much happier using the arch repos

• It is not hard to make your own stuff, but sometimes it is not about the skills, it is about the time and the speed of life in general. It never been a magic to install Arch base, configure, reboot, install xorg, install openbox, login, install your stuff
    that is it, you got it work, still I prefer ready to go Linux Distros, just because I am lazy to clone my configured systems. a lot of time I install configure my system as I wish, but the issue is I dont take backups, so I end up doing the same things again again with every single new installation.

Posts 7Views 4073