• Can't figure out how to expand XFS RAID 6 array

My old array was 8, 4TB drives. I added 4 more drives to the array and used the grow command and 23 hours later, the reshape finished successfully and I now have a 40TB array according to mdadm:

Version : 1.2
    Creation Time : Sat Dec 2 21:22:25 2017
    Raid Level : raid6
    Array Size : 39068871680 (37258.98 GiB 40006.52 GB)
    Used Dev Size : 3906887168 (3725.90 GiB 4000.65 GB)
    Raid Devices : 12 Total
    Devices : 12 Persistence
    Superblock is persistent

But, I’m still only able to “see” my original 24T. I tried this command: xfs_growfs /dev/md0 and got this error:

xfs_growfs: /dev/md0 is not a mounted XFS filesystem

Odd, because it IS mounted. So I thought, maybe I should unmount it first. Did that and same error.

Not home at the moment but do I need to unount and STOP the array?

I saw somebody mentioned using GParted…I went in there and it said to select the partition and click ‘Check’ to I’m guessing, grow it. I’ll try that later since I have a few people streaming from me via Plex and I don’t want to be rude and kick them off. 🙂

But is GParted the way to go? The ‘check’ option isn’t selectable because the array is running and mounted. I’m guessing that’s why I can’t do anything with it at the moment. Can anyone confirm?

The exact message in GParted is:

14.56 TiB of unallocated space within the partition.
    To grow the file system to fill the partition, select the partition and choose the menu item:
    Partition --> Check.

• I don’t think you can use XFS to increase your RAID because it’s not a native filesystem RAID like BTRFS does for example. Does this article help you further?

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-resize-raid-partitions-shrink-and-grow-software-raid

• @earthmind said in Can't figure out how to expand XFS RAID 6 array:

I don’t think you can use XFS to increase your RAID because it’s not a native filesystem RAID like BTRFS does for example. Does this article help you further?

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-resize-raid-partitions-shrink-and-grow-software-raid

I figured it out. I just had to umount the array and went into GParted and selected the array and click ‘check’. It did a file system check then expanded it. I now have access to all 40TB!

raid5 xfs3 expand1 figure1 Posts 3Views 302
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.