• What download?

The main mproblem is that archlinux mirrors are huge:

https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/

and archlinux itself count on the experienced user to manage it to his needs… i do use only around 20 from the archlinux mirrors, and i do a regualr update to my lists.

It would be possible to automate this, as i use an alias for it so that i only need to type upgrade inside terminal and it runs this:

alias upgrade="sudo fetchmirrors -q -s 16 -c DE && sudo sh ~/reflector-antergos-v3 && sudo pacman -Syy && yaourt -Syua"

and reflector-antergos-v3 is a script written by @manuel ;) (yes manuel i still use v3! )

As i think this will be not harmfull to stability, i can think of an systemd-timer ? so you can simple enable and disable it…

But also the alias is very handy, as you can run it if you have problems with lame updates .

• I am sorry but this is above my need to learn level I give up. Happy with
    antergos but this is not the first download problem. So thanks guys I surrender.

• @rosswmcgee said in What download?:

I am sorry but this is above my need to learn level I give up. Happy with
    antergos but this is not the first download problem. So thanks guys I surrender.

So let me suggest two things for you, as it seems you have don’t have experience on the terminal command line.

First, install Antergos and use it, don’t worry about updates. On the day it show updates, you update the system. There is no problem being days or weeks without a single update.

Second, if you have more problems with Antergos, let me suggest you to try Manjaro. I would not give up or leave an Arch based distro, so Manjaro is an excellent choice and does not have too much updates on a daily basis.

Good luck.

ps: if you really want to leave an Arch based distro, try on this order: MX Linux or Ubuntu.

• so i just create a freshmirrors.timer and freshmirrors.service units here ;) lets see if it works…

If somone have a nice script idea for the executable?

#!/bin/sh
    #freshmirrors service to refresh mirrorlist and antergos mirrorlist

cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.bak &&
    rankmirrors -n 0 /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist > /tmp/mirrorlist && 
    cp /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/  && 
    cp /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.bak &&
    rankmirrors -n 0 /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist > /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist && 
    cp /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/ 

• @joekamprad said in What download?:

so i just create a freshmirrors.timer and freshmirrors.service units here ;) lets see if it works…

If somone have a nice script idea for the executable?

#!/bin/sh
    #freshmirrors service to refresh mirrorlist and antergos mirrorlist

cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.bak &&
    rankmirrors -n 0 /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist > /tmp/mirrorlist && 
    cp /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/  && 
    cp /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.bak &&
    rankmirrors -n 0 /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist > /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist && 
    cp /tmp/antergos-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/ 

@rosswmcgee cannot use the terminal, but that is a good tip, and it should be included in package manager with a scheduler for the most impatience users. There is an option for a manual update for the databases, but mirrors maybe there are no options, other than terminal based.

• @casquinhas Running Manjaro on two computers now with no problems. Want to keep antergos, but want updates to function.

@casquinhas Running Manjaro on two computers now with no problems. Want to keep antergos, but want updates to function.

Nice! So you can download 18.2 Antergos now and install it. Give it a week or so, and then come back and tell us if you got updates or not.

• @casquinhas

● freshmirrors.timer - Run freshmirrors weekly and on boot
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/freshmirrors.timer; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (waiting) since Wed 2018-02-07 18:43:05 CET; 1min 31s ago
      Trigger: Wed 2018-02-07 18:58:00 CET; 13min left

Feb 07 18:43:05 empowered64 systemd[1]: Started Run freshmirrors weekly and on boot.

• @joekamprad said in What download?:

@casquinhas

● freshmirrors.timer - Run freshmirrors weekly and on boot
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/freshmirrors.timer; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (waiting) since Wed 2018-02-07 18:43:05 CET; 1min 31s ago
      Trigger: Wed 2018-02-07 18:58:00 CET; 13min left

Feb 07 18:43:05 empowered64 systemd[1]: Started Run freshmirrors weekly and on boot.

That is nice, but it takes a few steps to do this and using the terminal. So it’s not for everybody but it’s pretty nice, oh yes, going to save this, maybe not put it to work.
    Also great for future reference and update problems.

• @casquinhas i will put this as a package, so you will need only to enable the timer by systemctl enable freshmirrors.timer and it will act like a weekly cronjob…

• @casquinhas I am willing to do that,but I thought the benefit of the rolling release is always having the latest, or is that is what in the upgrade I am unable to do? So I don’t have 18.2 now?

@casquinhas I am willing to do that,but I thought the benefit of the rolling release is always having the latest, or is that is what in the upgrade I am unable to do? So I don’t have 18.2 now?

This is to verify if updates are slow or blocked. Latest version is 18.2 so please download it again if you don’t know what versions it is now.

• @casquinhas Okay will install new 18.2

• @rosswmcgee

18.2 is installed, updates functioning. Two things I think need attention.

1. I have reported this before, libre office background is black.
    2. Plumas when installeddoes not funtion. I see both items have been
      reported some time ago.
  • @rosswmcgee i will have a look to this two issues, is GNOME what you installed?

• KDE Plasma

• @rosswmcgee thanks, now I can check !

• @rosswmcgee i would say libre office black background issue is solved, or it is caused by the theme you are using:

0_1518119480115_Screenshot_20180208_203921.png

and pluma is working without any issue here, instead of it is made for MATE desktop, and has it as dependency …
    0_1518119566498_Screenshot_20180208_204135.png

Tested on a clean installation, libre office installed as cnchi option, no changes to themes.

error328 Posts 38Views 1753
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.